Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 02:02 AM   #31
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
most likely if the banner for the nook is from a sponsor program, there probably was also an agreement not to run advertising on a file sharing site. eventually - when the program finds out what site the ad is running on - they will terminate the affiliate's account.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #32
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
No, it's just additional derailment of the original topic that started with your example of downloading Gone with the Wind being theft of income. Blue Tyson just corrected my statement that Mitchell's heirs sued PG Australia, when what actually happened was that the heirs sent PG Australia a cease and desist letter (possibly the Australian equivalent to DMCA takedown notice, if they have one), and PG Australia told them they had no standing because it was PD in Australia. ....."
Thanks. Now it makes sense.

Over there you may not have heard of "The Mickey Mouse Protection Act".

"In addition to Disney (whose extensive lobbying efforts inspired the nickname "The Mickey Mouse Protection Act")...."
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #33
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
This whole copyright thing confuses me. Can someone explain that wikipedia article in plain English?

Things that have already entered public domain remain so.

Things that haven't entered public domain and were published before 1978 (but after 1923) can't be released until 95 years after they were published, correct, unless the owner renewed the copyright, correct?

I don't understand these draconian rules. Why should someone 90 years after the death of the author benefit from the author's work? Seriously?
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:58 AM   #34
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I really can't see how theft of income comes into piracy...

I'd love to buy books for my readers, but they don't want to sell them to me...

For now I'm OK, but should something be published, which I could not live without, I would have to have a way through the darknet...

Also the darknet can't be that 'dark', if it's supported by advertising.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #35
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
This whole copyright thing confuses me. Can someone explain that wikipedia article in plain English?

Things that haven't entered public domain and were published before 1978 (but after 1923) can't be released until 95 years after they were published, correct, unless the owner renewed the copyright, correct?

I don't understand these draconian rules. Why should someone 90 years after the death of the author benefit from the author's work? Seriously?
Its honestly the Walt Disney rule. Disney made billions making public domain stories into movies, but they don't want any of their characters going into the public domain. Lots of books are lost completely because they aren't public domain and publishers have no interest in putting them in print. Sad situation in the US.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #36
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
Not always. Some copyright extensions have been retroactive.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote