Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #31
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
Right. The closest thing to a book is something that needs power every 4 hours or so,
My SmartDevices Q7 ($211.12, shipped) has a 12 hour battery life. After that, I can run another 8 hours off (4) AAs, or 24 hours off a Li-Ion battery pack. (The Q7 can charge off USB while you read.)

Quote:
does not fit in your pocket,
It fits in the front pocked of my jeans, slacks, and suit pants every day.

Quote:
is unreadable on the beach
I don't live within 12 hours of the beach, but my Q7 is waterproof in that I read it outside in the rain. I'm eagerly awaiting the Pixel Qi screen - both for extending battery life, and for outdoor readability.

Quote:
and you cannot hold it with just one hand while having coffee in a restaurant.
I hold my Q7 in one hand while sipping a diet coke. Is that close?

Quote:
Back to reality, back to Bebook.
Several of my very good friends have BeBooks. The last one to convert is waiting on his V7 (an upgrade to the Q7) to be delivered.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #32
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Care to expand on the MANY types of reading that the Bebook (or others) is pathetic at?
Try a calculus text.

Try an accounting ledger. Now make corrections in the ledger.

Try an aerodynamics book.

Try taking notes in the margins of a Thermodynamics book.

Try drawing alternative attack plans in pages you insert into Heinz Guderian's "Panzer Leader." (It's a text book used at the US Army War College, written by the guy who invented Blitzkrieg.)

That's a day's work for my Q7.

Andy

Last edited by recycledelectron; 01-02-2010 at 03:25 PM.
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #33
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Something like a Smart Devices Q7 may be useful down the road ... I wasn't able to find a Canadian supplier.

Basic b&w clear text and 2 week battery life for actual reading -- not surfing, watching TV, answering Facebook queries, booking restaurant reservations -- is what I want an e-reader for.

I'm new in town, having acquired a Kindle 2 only in late November. However, I've actually read more books in 6 or 7 weeks than I can recall in years. I really love the single-mindedness of the Kindle 2, along with some of the perks like Oxford Dictionary lookups, Wiki-access from the beach in Mexico, credible text-to-speech and the ability to graze over one or more books and pick up where I left off. And it's all delivered in an easy-on-the-eyes e-ink screen, in a familiar form factor (abt the size of a trade paperbook, but thinner). Did I mention the 2 week battery life? I tested that over the holidays: it's true.

I get there are more advanced users: academic note takers, and readers of heavily illustrated texts. But that's not where I live ... and I am perfectly happy to consider a more advanced device, and more advanced price point, if I want my quasi-paperback to morph into a netbook / tablet / pda.

However, I believe there is a wide audience of book readers for whom a relatively inexpensive single-purpose device is a better choice. It's not unlike the market for cell phones: you can buy a device that makes local phone calls and occasional LD and texts ... or you can triple your spend for a fully fledged Smartphone and do a lot more than merely make voice calls (and probably a lot fewer voice calls at that). Simplicity sometimes provides the more eloquent solution.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #34
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
recycledelectron:

I just looked into your Q7...very nice set of features. I found siimilar devices at:

http://www.eletroworld.cn/

Those are some danged impressive devices. It looks as if they are what I was hoping my N800 would have been, though it's an OK device, not great nor was it well built...feels like it's well done but the camera croaked in under a year and the OS2008 eliminated a not insignificant bit of the camera's functionality as well.

Definitely interested in any reviews of the V7 device.

You mention it as waterproof. Is there any online reference to this? Again that would be a great feature for my desired use.

I am actually looking at the 891A right now and that would be a wonderful device, a bit spendy though at $469USD
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #35
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Well, that drab black and white does give 8,000 pages to a single charge and causes less eye strain.
I wish all would let go of the myth of color/lcd displays causing eyestrain. No factual basis. Many prefer e-ink but it isn't 'easier on the eyes' except that the people that like it think it is. Let go of the myths and lead with the strength of e-ink, the low-power draw resulting in substantially longer battery life.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #36
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
I wish all would let go of the myth of color/lcd displays causing eyestrain. No factual basis. Many prefer e-ink but it isn't 'easier on the eyes' except that the people that like it think it is. Let go of the myths and lead with the strength of e-ink, the low-power draw resulting in substantially longer battery life.
Well, I don't recall seeing any evidence either way. Do you have any?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #37
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
LCD's do produce less eyestrain than CRT's, since they refresh differently. However, they are still backlit, and (afaik) involves oscillations. In comparison, current epaper is fully static and is not backlit, hence the advantages. So the claim makes sense.

Or to put it another way, what is the factual basis that you have to indicate that LCD's produce the same levels of eyestrain as either paper or epaper? Enquiring minds want to know.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #38
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
There is everything needed in css3 and html5, just a question of adobe implementing these.
Ouch! Did you ever try to implement this kind of stuff? It seems to be specifically designed by existing browser engine boys to prevent anyone from creating another browser engine. And it is mostly geared towards apps, not books/documents.
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #39
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Well, I don't recall seeing any evidence either way. Do you have any?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
LCD's do produce less eyestrain than CRT's, since they refresh differently. However, they are still backlit, and (afaik) involves oscillations. In comparison, current epaper is fully static and is not backlit, hence the advantages. So the claim makes sense.

Or to put it another way, what is the factual basis that you have to indicate that LCD's produce the same levels of eyestrain as either paper or epaper? Enquiring minds want to know.
I have no more evidence than you provide in your hypothosis that the ocillations in LCDs cause eystrain moreso than static e-ink. I could conjecture that LCDs provide a uniformly lit viewing image, always above the minimum viewing level your Mom used to chide you with: "Turn on a light while you're reading or you'll go blind". Thus, e-ink causes more eyestrain. But of course this is just conjecture like your untested hypothosis. Its a myth until there is science to support it and if I were betting, I'd bet on LCDs, but that's an unpopular notion with the people who've invested their hard-earned money on an e-ink device and need to justify their purchase.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #40
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have no more evidence than you provide in your hypothosis that the ocillations in LCDs cause eystrain moreso than static e-ink.
Wilkins, A. J., Nimmo-Smith, I., Slater, A. & Bedocs, L. (1989). Fluorescent lighting, headaches and eye-strain. Lighting Research and Technology, vol. 21, 11-18

This is a double-blind cross-over study which showed the incidence of headaches and eye-strain was more than halved by a measure that reduced the amount of light modulation in the 100Hz region.

Yes, there's concrete scientific evidence that flicker causes eye-strain, though it varies between individuals. LCD flicker is caused by the compact fluorescent tubes commonly used as backlights, and presumably LED lighting eliminates this.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #41
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Wilkins, A. J., Nimmo-Smith, I., Slater, A. & Bedocs, L. (1989). Fluorescent lighting, headaches and eye-strain. Lighting Research and Technology, vol. 21, 11-18

This is a double-blind cross-over study which showed the incidence of headaches and eye-strain was more than halved by a measure that reduced the amount of light modulation in the 100Hz region.

Yes, there's concrete scientific evidence that flicker causes eye-strain, though it varies between individuals. LCD flicker is caused by the compact fluorescent tubes commonly used as backlights, and presumably LED lighting eliminates this.
A backlit Liquid Crystal Display is certainly not the same device as a fluorescent light cited in the study you reference.

LED backlit LCD displays have no flicker beyond the refresh rate of the LCD(Wikipedia: Refresh rate: The number of times per second in which the monitor draws the data it is being given. Since activated LCD pixels do not flash on/off between frames, LCD monitors exhibit no refresh-induced flicker, no matter how low the refresh rate.[3]) LEDs don't flicker, the diode is electrically powered and the phosphor emits light until the electrical stimulation stops.

So while I'll have to agree that you've quoted valid science about flourescent lighting causing headaches and eyestrain, it has NOTHING to do with the types of LCD displays in laptops/netbooks/MIDs/iPods built in the last few years. Science mis-applied is worse than myth. An recent LCD device is a perfectly acceptable ereader IF all the other attributes meet your needs (battry duration, size, cost, OS, etc.), but the 'eyestrain' factor is not a valid criteria. All I'm saying is to justify your e-ink purchase on valid factors (I'm still in the market for one because of the battery duration).

Last edited by pking36330; 01-05-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #42
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A

The display does not flicker per-se*. Transflexive, non-backlit LCD's certainly have none. But most LCD's are backlit, and that lighting does flicker.

(*some early and even now badly-made LCD's can have issues with perception of the update, even at an unconscious level, but that's not very common)

Or rather, the commonly used CCFL's flicker, the LCD's which have begun reaching the market in the last two years don't, but they suffer their own issues, especially in LED aging and changing colour points, several technical issues relating to voltage and heat and currently high pricing.

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 01-05-2010 at 04:02 PM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #43
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
I regularly spend 8 hours at work staring at and reading from an LCD screen and have no eyestrain issues when doing this.

As far as i am aware its exactly the same at staring at a piece of paper or a vase of flowers.

what causes strain is not exercising the eye muscles. you should if having fixed focus on any object for more than 1hr take a few seconds every so often to focus on something at a different distance.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #44
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A backlit Liquid Crystal Display is certainly not the same device as a fluorescent light cited in the study you reference.
Yes it is. The majority use compact fluorescent lights with the same mains-related flicker.

Your citation from Wikipedia is irrelevant.

Don't argue for the sake of arguing.

Last edited by charleski; 01-05-2010 at 04:04 PM.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #45
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
It's quite silly, we do not need more formats.

XHTML, Javascript, XML can provide very ebook friendly environments on tablets. We don't need proprietary C coded crap getting in the way. Basically you can already create fantastic interfaces using Javascript and other web technologies for browsing and reading ebooks ad that should be able to transfer to a tablet seamlessly. You can do things like coverflow and 3d cover galleries with Javascript frameworks now.

The only reason to create a new dedicated format when free standardized technologies are so easily available is to lock people in and obtain some kind of profit.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote