Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 11-14-2009, 03:08 AM   #1
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Barnes and Noble format?

I understand that the format of ebooks sold on the Barnes and Noble website is similar to eReader.
How similar is it? Will it work on my palm pilot with the ereader application? Does it have DRM? I'd like to buy a book from them but the obscurity with which the format is described on their website makes me reluctant.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
The books do have DRM for the most part, but they are standard eReader books and should work on your Palm OS device. This may change when B and N switches over to epub, but for now you are good.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Thanks for your answer!

I think I'll soon drop the annoying book I'm reading and rush and read The handmaid's tale, which is only available at their site in a format I can read.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
Thanks for your answer!

I think I'll soon drop the annoying book I'm reading and rush and read The handmaid's tale, which is only available at their site in a format I can read.
Post the "annoying" book in the Anti-Read thread.

Handmaid's Tale is excellent! and don't miss Oryx and Crank and The Year of the Flood.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Can I load Barnes and Noble eBooks onto my Sony 505? If so, how do you do that?

Thanks
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Can I load Barnes and Noble eBooks onto my Sony 505? If so, how do you do that?

Thanks

I presume you mean EReader format. The official answer is no. The Sony does not support that format (nor does any other reader I'm aware of). The only way to read them on Sony is to strip the DRM off and convert them to another format that is compatible with the 505.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
But isn't BN going to switch to ePub. And, if so, will their books then work on the Sony?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
kennyc

Quote:
But isn't BN going to switch to ePub. And, if so, will their books then work on the Sony?

I think that remains to be seen because they are supposedly including the "lending" concept which may require updated ADE software....
Old 11-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Yes. Initially for the Nook only, but presumably ePub will be on available for all B&N supported platforms eventually. However, B&N will be using "social DRM" (credit card name and number) on their ePubs. This will be available via mobile Adobe Digital Editions to all licensees (i.e. device vendors) next year, but Sony does not typically update ADE very often (if at all) on their devices and they are not obligated to implement B&N's DRM. So the bottom line is that B&N DRMed ePubs will be Nook-only for now and perhaps limited to a few device types forever.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I am just guessing here, of course, but I suspect Sony will end up implementing it because, let's face it, Sony sells hardware. Sony's bookstore has never really challenged Amazon in its selection, and with B&N entering the race, I can easily see Sony building readers with multiple compatibility, in the hopes that people who shop in many places will see Sony readers as their 'universal' reader.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The B&N DRM system is, as far as I can tell, going to be built into Adobe's ePub reader SDK.

So if the new SDK handles B&N's DRM and if Sony use the new SDK and if Sony release a firmware upgrade for the 505 that includes the new SDK, then the 505 will work with B&N ePub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
I am just guessing here, of course, but I suspect Sony will end up implementing it because, let's face it, Sony sells hardware. Sony's bookstore has never really challenged Amazon in its selection, and with B&N entering the race, I can easily see Sony building readers with multiple compatibility, in the hopes that people who shop in many places will see Sony readers as their 'universal' reader.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:06 AM   #12
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I can see this working in the U.S., but seeing as B&N have no presense in the U.K. (and quite probably other countries), what's the incentive for all the non-U.S. bookstores to switch?

I can't think there is any. Sounds like we are likley to have two flavours of epub DRM floating around the globe causing a a lot of confusion. I can't see Waterstones making the switch as long as Adept DRM is still available just because B&N no longer use it.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #13
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The B&N DRM system is, as far as I can tell, going to be built into Adobe's ePub reader SDK.

So if the new SDK handles B&N's DRM and if Sony use the new SDK and if Sony release a firmware upgrade for the 505 that includes the new SDK, then the 505 will work with B&N ePub.
That's how I see it also. B&N DRM for Epub being built into Adobe ADE so the user will have the option of buying books with either DRM scheme...

Unless of course if the hardware manufacturer decides not to implement both....
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote