Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Best Reader For PDFs?

Sorry if this has been asked & answered many times. I haven't been on this board for a very long time . Also my searches have yielded way too many citations to follow through.

As my subject asked:
What is the best reader for reading PDFs?
I know PC or MACs do a good job, but how about the purpose built e readers?
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
I have an Irex DR1000 that I got specifically for reading PDFs. I like the fact that I can see most PDFs in full size.

I was planning on using it for PDFs and my Iliad for other books, but I'm using it for everything. I'm a reasonably fast reader and I like the fact that there's more text per page than with the Iliad.

My $.02US anyway.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by animedude01; 10-14-2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Edit for legibility
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 02:23 AM   #3
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle2 Intl.
For me the iRex is way to expensive. How about the Kindle DX? Can it show pdfs like the one I attached?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wikmark et al. 2006 [Naegleria].pdf (466.2 KB, 279 views)
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:26 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle DX displays PDFs OK - the problem is that displaying them is basically all it does. It has no support for hyperlinks or the table of contents in a PDF; no searching and no annotation; displaying is all that it does. Compare that to the full functionality of the iRex and it's very much a case of "you get what you pay for".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:53 AM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
despite the cost, I suspect the DR1000 would be the better buy wrt pdf viewing. It may have few "quirks" that still need ironing out but it does display pdf docs very well.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 05:30 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The forthcoming DR800 may be the solution, if it has the same (excellent) PDF capabilities as its "big brother", the DR1000.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:20 AM   #7
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle2 Intl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle DX displays PDFs OK - the problem is that displaying them is basically all it does. It has no support for hyperlinks or the table of contents in a PDF; no searching and no annotation; displaying is all that it does. Compare that to the full functionality of the iRex and it's very much a case of "you get what you pay for".
Thanks for that info Harry. What if the font is small, can DX zoom in closer? I know you cannot change the font size in a pdf doc. My pdfs are only a few pages long, so lac of TOC support does not worry me, of course annotation would be nice but as you said, the iRex is twice the amount and I think I can skip annotation for that price. If only I could see one in a store first, without readable pdfs, it would be useless for me...
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:41 AM   #8
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
As the others have mentioned either the iRex devices or the Kindle Dx could prove to be good reader for Reading PDF's.

Having said that, the smaller devices from Sony and Hanlin (Astak / bebook) also provide a decent PDF Reading experience, as long as the Pdf's are mostly text.

If however most of your PDF's are generated from images or scans one of the bigger devices will probably be better.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote