Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
knauck
root
knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Angry Beware of Amazon CS accidental misinformation.

Good afternoon,
I was looking into a paperwhite with 3G access for use on business trips, in order to read my hometown newspaper over the internet since it doesn't have an eink publication. I also would have used it to look at an email if one came in while I was reading, but otherwise I'd be using my laptop and/or iPhone 4.

I have read conflicting information on the Paperwhite's 3G capability, and the amazon product description is seemingly intentionally vague.

What did I do? I asked customer service. Here's the chat log:

Quote:

10:06 PM Initial Question: Information on the kindle paperwhite 3G service

10:07 PM Surjya (CSA) : Hello, my name is Surjya from Amazon.com.
10:07 PM Kurt Nauck : whello

10:07 PM Kurt Nauck is on hold.

10:07 PM Surjya (CSA) is no longer connected.

This chat was transferred.
Transfer Notes : nformation on the kindle paperwhite 3G service

10:07 PM Kurt Nauck is off hold.
10:07 PM Kurt Nauck : hello
10:08 PM Kurt Nauck : is anyone there?
10:08 PM Chenai (CSA) : Hello, My name is Chenai. I'll be happy to help you
10:09 PM Kurt Nauck : I love my new kindle. I had a question about the other model, the one with 3G
10:09 PM Kurt Nauck : Does the 3G work with the browser? how much does it cost a month?
10:10 PM Chenai (CSA) : The 3G model gives you unlimited 3G Internet and you can download books on the go
10:10 PM Chenai (CSA) : Yes it does.
10:10 PM Chenai (CSA) : There is no extra charge for the 3G, it is unlimited in the US and UK
10:10 PM Kurt Nauck : I read that someone was saying the 3G only worked in the amazon store
10:10 PM Kurt Nauck : wow
10:12 PM Chenai (CSA) : Internationally, you get 50MB and unlimited access for kindle store and Wikipedia but if you're in the US an UK it's unlimited browsing for any websites supported by the experimental browser
10:12 PM Kurt Nauck : interesting.
10:12 PM Kurt Nauck : Thanks! I'm going to buy one right now! Probably put the one I have now on ebay lol
10:13 PM Chenai (CSA) : Lol. I'm really sorry for that wrong information you got before. 3G model is very convenient for sure!
10:14 PM Kurt Nauck : excellent. thanks for your time!

10:14 PM Kurt Nauck has left the conversation.
I think that the line:
Quote:
10:12 PM Chenai (CSA) : Internationally, you get 50MB and unlimited access for kindle store and Wikipedia but if you're in the US an UK it's unlimited browsing for any websites supported by the experimental browser
is pretty clear, and cannot really be misinterpreted.

As you can imagine, when my new PW 3G came in the mail today and the browser would not work over 3G, I was livid to say the least. I have a regular paperwhite already. I would not have dropped the cost of a new PW + $60 for 3G had this not been stated. The fact that I had been flat lied to (or unintentionally misinformed) by an amazon employee really pissed me off.

To those of you who will try to twist my intentions:
I had no intention of tethering off this device. My employer pays for my iPhone and service, including tethering. I only wanted the 3G for the convenience of reading my newspaper and reading a new email now and then.

BEWARE OF "ACCIDENTAL MISINFORMATION' FROM AMAZON CUSTOMER SUPPORT
You have been warned.

Edit: changed "Lies" to "Accidental Misinformation"

Last edited by knauck; 08-06-2013 at 09:24 AM.
knauck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Well you are within your 30 day return window. Send it back and make sure Amazon knows that you were given conflicting information.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Maybe you should have done a bit more research imho.

The older 3g units like the k3 keyboard 3g or the dxg; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GYWHSQ/ref=fs_dx

would have done what you wanted it to do. I use my dxg to read local news, sports, weather, all the time. Esp. handy when travelling.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It says right on the product description page: "Kindle Paperwhite 3G enables you to connect to the Kindle Store and access Wikipedia - all over 3G or Wi-Fi. Experimental web browsing on other websites is only available over Wi-Fi."
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Well you are within your 30 day return window. Send it back and make sure Amazon knows that you were given conflicting information.
Agreed. I would send it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
It says right on the product description page: "Kindle Paperwhite 3G enables you to connect to the Kindle Store and access Wikipedia - all over 3G or Wi-Fi. Experimental web browsing on other websites is only available over Wi-Fi."
Agreed.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
it's unlimited browsing for any websites supported by the experimental browser
It would appear that the websites you are wanting to view are not supported by the experimental browser.

Return it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I would say it's a clear case of a lack of comprehension on OP's part. I see no lies or misinformation or deception on the part of Amazon here.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
knauck
root
knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
It would appear that the websites you are wanting to view are not supported by the experimental browser.

Return it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I would say it's a clear case of a lack of comprehension on OP's part. I see no lies or misinformation or deception on the part of Amazon here.
These sites are compatible with the experimental browser as evidenced by them working on WiFi. If a sales rep sells a product anywhere by touting features it doesn't have, that's the company's problem. Not the individual representative's.

As to the product description saying clearly that you can use 3G with amazon or Wikipedia and also being able to browse the internet on WiFi too...That paragraph should read: "...can connect to amazon store or Wikipedia ONLY with 3G. Experimental Browser unable to access internet over 3G. ", and the product name should say LIMITED 3G, not UNLIMITED...considering how limited it actually is.

I am returning the device, as I have a non 3G model I am happy with. That does not make the issue with Amazon any less aggravating to me.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
If you have "any" access to wifi when you are out of town, you can try creating a recipe for your hometown newspaper in Calibre. It can then be sent to your "name@free.kindle.com" address every morning and be ready for you when you connect to wifi.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #10
knauck
root

I just looked up calibre because of your post. This appears to do exactly what I need.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
It's always been clear to me that the 3G model only supported kindle store and Wikipedia, I wouldn't have to query it, its stated black and white in the model page.

Now if anyone can tell me if personal documents deliver over 3G I'd be grateful but sadly I doubt even the call centre staff would know for sure.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If you pay .15 cents a megabyte, and send it to your address@kindle.com email address, instead of the address@free.kindle.com, yes it does work. I do it all the time.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #13
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Paperwhite is an excellent eBook reader
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #14
knauck
root

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
It's always been clear to me that the 3G model only supported kindle store and Wikipedia, I wouldn't have to query it, its stated black and white in the model page.

Now if anyone can tell me if personal documents deliver over 3G I'd be grateful but sadly I doubt even the call centre staff would know for sure.
Well then you'd be incorrect, because previous 3G models have supported free 3G browsing. Like I said, I saw it both ways in different places.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:51 AM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
If you pay .15 cents a megabyte, and send it to your address@kindle.com email address, instead of the address@free.kindle.com, yes it does work. I do it all the time.
Thanks Susan, I may consider that now for my next ereader.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote