Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Have prices gone back up @ Sony Ebook store

In comparing some of the new releases and best sellers, it seems there is a large difference in price compared to Amazon? I didn't do a detailed comparison but noticed some big differences.

Has Sony gone back to their old pricing standards before the Kindle???
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Specifically, I don't know if prices have gone up at Sony but I do know that my purchase today of Bridge of Sighs, by Richard Russo, has always been higher than Sony's price.

Sorry, I can't really answer your question.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
As far as I'm aware Sony never really lowered most of their prices (but I don't buy from them so have only paid a little attention). They only did it on a few titles &/or when enough people bugged them about a certain title. I doubt they'll ever do the loss leader thing Amazon's been doing. I wonder if Amazon plans to keep it up long term.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I do not belive their prices have gone up, that is not to say SONY is still not expensive. They seem to base their standard discount off of the publishers eBook price.

But when comparing the SONY ebook prices to Amazon there is no comparison. Amazon caps most of their eBooks to $10.

The only other eBook competitor that can get close to Amazon's prices is FictionWise with their club membership and constant rebate discounts. But that requires effort and timing.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
But when comparing the SONY ebook prices to Amazon there is no comparison. Amazon caps most of their eBooks to $10.
No, that's not true. They cap their bestsellers to $9.99. Certainly not "most of their books"! The bestsellers are a "loss leader" for the other, most expensive, books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Well it's a good point that I should not make such a generalization.

It is just my experience that the books I'm interested in tend to cap at $10 ($9.99). It might just be that I tend to look at best sellers.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, that's not true. They cap their bestsellers to $9.99. Certainly not "most of their books"! The bestsellers are a "loss leader" for the other, most expensive, books.
So there are Kindle books that cost more than $9.99? I thought that was their max price? Considering newly released best sellers in hard cover are usually in the $15-$20 range.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So there are Kindle books that cost more than $9.99? I thought that was their max price?
That's a common misconception ... probably because of the way they phrased their initial announcement.

But in any case, yeah they said something to the effect that "most bestsellers" would be $9.99.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote