Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
mpd123
Zealot
mpd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo / samsung note 10.1
tablet over ereader ?

Hi all, have been reading ebooks since I first got a pda years ago, and when I bought my first eink reader (sony 505) I thought yes this is it perfect device/technology.
I recently purchased a kobo glo which I am happy with and a few weeks ago I purchased a samsung note 10.1 which I now use all the time.
With the proliferation of tablets ,there speed and all round singing and dancing has anyone else started using there ereader less ?

Cheers, mick.
mpd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
No...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Yup, my poor Sony sits collecting dust since I got my Samsung GMP5 & Nexus 7.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I have an iPad 1 that I suspect is out of juice, because it's just sitting here on my desk; I never use it. For reading, I prefer my paperwhite; for everything else, I prefer my desktop computer. There really isn't anything that the iPad does that I need it for. (I inherited it from my dad, which is how I got it.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
iPad is absolutely perfect for reading PDF files. For epubs I use Kobo Aura HD. It is rubbish for pdfs though. A tablet is a better investment and if you buy one, buy one with a large screen and almost obselete hardware so you don't get tempted to play with it too much. Tablets can cause distractions.

Last edited by Razi; 06-26-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
The tablet is used for PDF files and websites. Normal books get read on an e-reader all the way.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Been reading exclusively on the Kindle Fire HD since I opened the box. Couldn't even tell you where my eink kindle IS right now. Haven't seen it in months.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
The tablet is used for PDF files and websites. Normal books get read on an e-reader all the way.
This. The only reading I do on my tablet (other than web surfing) is pdfs and magazines. I much prefer reading on my Sony T-1.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I use my 10.1" tablet to read PDFs. I prefer the Kindle Keyboard for reading books.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I still prefer eink, and I most often read on my Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, or Kobo Aura. I very rarely read on either my Nexus 7 or iPad.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #11
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I didn't think I would, but I've been using my Nexus 7 exclusively. I've got the backgrounds and colors right for easy reading. I even did more reading at first, but have been spending less time reading books lately. Maybe I should consider reading MobileRead as time spent reading?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I've got 3 e-ink readers and read on all of them. I almost never read books on my Fire HD. Better screen lighter weight, easier to hold...e-ink readers are great!

I forgot, I actually have 4....but my 15 yo son uses the Kindle Touch, I don't really use it. With the lighted case, it's kind of big and bulky and heavy. The Paperwhite and the Kobo Glo are much nicer, to me.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Personal preference -- and how many hours at a time you would spend reading -- would be high drivers for whether you want to read on tablet vs ereader.

For me, an extended trip (in airports, planes, and other stationary areas) lend lots of time to reading, and the ereader battery is miles away the better reader if you don't want to run out of juice. Also, if you spend much time reading the weight of the reader starts to be a factor.

But as others point out, PDFs, magazines and websites generally are much better on a color tablet.
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've been reading more lately on my Nook HD rather than my Sony T1, mainly because it is the new toy. The T1 will be the device I'll be taking on the beach with me, though, just like last year. I still love the T1 because of its abilities and its light weight.

My eBookman is now just a historical device; I couldn't go back to reading on it after having modern ereaders. My Pandigital Novel was the first color device and the first one I rooted, but I've never liked the display resolution and it is just plain heavy to use as a regular ereader. I still love my Sony 350 and the Aluratek Libre, but I like more the larger screen size of the T1 and HD for reading ebooks; they work whatever my reading position is. My HD+ is just for playing, surfing and reading magazines.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I use my 650 more for reading then I do the iPad. I do sometimes use my iPhone 5 to read if I'm someplace I have time to read and not too much sunlight and my 650 is not with me.

I've been doing some reading outside in the sunny weather and my iPad and iPhone just don't work well in the sunlight. Plus, I have seen the iPad shut down due to being too hot from the sun. So if I am outside, it's the 650. In bed at night, it's the 650 if I do read because it's lighter to hold.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote