Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
EightWeight
Enthusiast
EightWeight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4, PW
Since Calibre v 0.9.14 PW mounts read-only!

Since I upgraded to ver. 0.9.14 I haven't been able to connect my Kindle PW (firmware 5.3.0) to Calibre via USB on my Linux laptop. I have an older version (0.8.something) on a Windows laptop that DOES connect to the PW just fine.

It appears the PW is mounting read-only. WTF? If there is file system damage on the PW wouldn't that show up when mounting on Windows as well?

BTW, I also have a Kindle 4 that has no problem mounting on Calibre.

Output of debug:

calibre 0.9.14 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Linux-2.6.35-32-generic-i686-with-debian-squeeze-sid Linux ('32bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '2.6.35-32-generic', '#68~lucid1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Mar 28 17:09:33 UTC 2012')
Python 2.7.3
Linux: ('debian', 'squeeze/sid', '')
USB devices on system:
[['0x4f2',
'0xb071',
'0x1544',
u'Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd.',
u'CNF7129',
u'SN0001'],
['0x1949', '0x4', '0x100', u'Amazon', u'Amazon Kindle', u'B024150224730404']]

No disabled plugins
Looking for devices of type: MTP_DEVICE
No known MTP devices connected to system

Looking for devices...
USBDevice(busnum=1, devnum=16, vendor_id=0x1949, product_id=0x0004, bcd=0x0100, manufacturer=Amazon, product=Amazon Kindle, serial=B024150224730404)
Detected possible device KINDLE2

Devices possibly connected: Kindle 2/3/4/Touch/PaperWhite Device Interface,
Trying to open Kindle 2/3/4/Touch/PaperWhite Device Interface ... failed
Opening of the following devices failed
<calibre.devices.kindle.driver.KINDLE2 object at 0x9d74b2c>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/__init__.py", line 157, in debug
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 862, in open
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 640, in open_linux
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 676, in filter_read_only_mount_points
DeviceError: The main memory of KINDLE2 is read only. This usually happens because of file system errors.
EightWeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....-connect-to-it
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
EightWeight
Enthusiast

Did the sudo fsck.vfat -y /dev/sdb1 thing but it didn't fix the problem. At least it told me where the corruption was. I was able to mount the PW on a Windows box and do a Disk Check there. The corrupt files were in .Trash-1000, so I deleted that whole thing and now Calibre connects to it. YAY! I was so afraid I'd have to reset the PW and reload all my books.

the check is in the mail!!

Last edited by EightWeight; 01-15-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:00 AM   #4
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightWeight View Post
The corrupt files were in .Trash-1000, so I deleted that whole thing and now Calibre connects to it.
IIRC the .Trash-1000 dir is created by a linux file manager (don't remember which one) for "recycle bin" purposes. 1000 is probably the UID.

This "feature" can also end up taking non-trivial amounts of space on flash media (kindles, USB sticks, etc).

When it was filling my wife's mp3 player up I deleted the dir and set her file manager to not use trashcan/recycle functionality.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
EightWeight
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
IIRC the .Trash-1000 dir is created by a linux file manager (don't remember which one) for "recycle bin" purposes. 1000 is probably the UID.
Yes. I use Linux Mint with the Nautilus file manager. That's what creates .Trash-1000. This is the first time it's ever screwed me though!
Advert