Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
simonp
simonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Anyone using Kindlegen?

I just got my Kindle 2 for Christmas, and am trying to convert ebooks into mobi format on my Linux machine. My understanding is that Kindlegen turns html into mobi.

If this is true, is there any information on what tags in html are translated into equivalent tags in mobi?

Most importantly I am interested in tags for name and title (information the Kindle seems to use when creating the Home library). What tags in html would be translated into name and title for the mobi?
simonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
I just got my Kindle 2 for Christmas, and am trying to convert ebooks into mobi format on my Linux machine. My understanding is that Kindlegen turns html into mobi.

If this is true, is there any information on what tags in html are translated into equivalent tags in mobi?

Most importantly I am interested in tags for name and title (information the Kindle seems to use when creating the Home library). What tags in html would be translated into name and title for the mobi?
The Mobipocket site has details in it's help/FAQ section for Mobigen/Mobipocket Creator on what tags it supports. That's always a good place to start. Also, the Kindlegen zipfile has a sample ebook to study.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
simonp
simonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
The Mobipocket site has details in it's help/FAQ section for Mobigen/Mobipocket Creator on what tags it supports. That's always a good place to start. Also, the Kindlegen zipfile has a sample ebook to study.

Derek
Thanks for the pointer. I took a quick look through the material in the sample directory, and it looks like the author/title information is stored in a .ncx file.

I will take a look on the Mobipocket site and see how it all fits together.
simonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:09 AM   #4
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
I think Author/title information is usually stored in an OPF file. The Table of Contents is in the NCX file (but if you have one in your HTML or other input file, you can just put in a pointer to it in the OPF file's guide section and get to it from there quite easily.

I used to use mobigen and kindlegen, but now that I've got Calibre working to add the Navigation links properly, I just use that -- it lets you store larger images than mobigen/kindlegen will allow, for one thing, and has many more options.
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:53 PM   #5
amberdel
amberdel is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle
Do you guys think they will ever include a built in format converter with reading devices in the future? Would definitely simplify things for different OS users.
amberdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 02:29 AM   #6
zdavatz
Connoisseur
zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPhone, HTC D2 not Sony.
Does anybody have performance comparisons between kindlegen and Calibre? We are running an ebook with kindlegen. The Book has about 3000 pages and kindlegen takes forever. Would Calibre be faster?
zdavatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdavatz View Post
Does anybody have performance comparisons between kindlegen and Calibre? We are running an ebook with kindlegen. The Book has about 3000 pages and kindlegen takes forever. Would Calibre be faster?
Quite possibly, but it'll produce a much bigger book.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberdel View Post
Do you guys think they will ever include a built in format converter with reading devices in the future? Would definitely simplify things for different OS users.
No ebook device will ever support the same variety of input formats as a PC can. As long as the device uses a reasonably-well-documented format (like ePub - though MobiPocket has been fairly well reverse-engineered, and conversion tools like Calibre are available on all three major platforms, so it's at least workable), you'll be better off doing the conversions on the host PC.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
rogerx
Enthusiast
rogerx doesn't litterrogerx doesn't litterrogerx doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DXG
Calibre requires X or graphical frontend, even for it's command line tools such as ebook-convert!

Kindlegen will have no problems working in command line only environments. (ie. server environments)

Calibre, as of 09/2011, produces better viewer (formatted) output vs. kindlegen for complex HTML files using <TABLE> tags. If you're only converting simple HTML pages (ie. without <TABLE> tags such as using man2html), then formating these simple HTML pages to .mobi with kindlegen will be just fine and, if not, identical to Calibre.

See AmazonKindlePublishingGuidelines.pdf for specifics on supported tags and formating of .mobi books.
(http://kindlegen.s3.amazonaws.com/Am...Guidelines.pdf)
(This is posted for historical purposes and those searching.)

Last edited by rogerx; 09-06-2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: sdfsdsdfsd
rogerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:20 AM   #10
DanBenton
DanBenton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi

The title's definitely in the OPF (it's also in the NCX but only so that ereaders with separate TOC pages can show the title). So title and author are 'dc:title' and 'dc:creator' in the 'metadata' section of the OPF.
Does that help?

www.craig-thrillers.com
DanBenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBenton View Post
Hi

The title's definitely in the OPF (it's also in the NCX but only so that ereaders with separate TOC pages can show the title). So title and author are 'dc:title' and 'dc:creator' in the 'metadata' section of the OPF.
Does that help?

www.craig-thrillers.com
what about the <title></title> tag in the <head> of the html?
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:17 AM   #12
DanBenton
DanBenton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
To the best of my knowledge, that isn't used anywhere in an epub, it's just a requirement of (x)html structure.

www.craig-thrillers.com
DanBenton is offline   Reply With Quote