Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #31
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I'm not at all clear, then. Has anyone tried loading a purely image-file PDF to see what we get? Do you just get the standard "zoomed out full page" view?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #32
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thanks. It does help. I do have one more request. Please show a screen shot of page 9 of the same ePub please.

Thanks.

This way I can see a page that has no top margin and see what the nook adds in if any.
Page 9 with publisher's default setting selected
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	686
Size:	684.5 KB
ID:	72270  
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #33
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I'm not at all clear, then. Has anyone tried loading a purely image-file PDF to see what we get? Do you just get the standard "zoomed out full page" view?
I just sideloaded a pdf file of images and you get the "zoomed out full page". However, there is no zoom and pan ability. It seems like the device handles pdf files the same way it handles epub files and for a pdf file, that just doesn't work (in my opinion)
Old 06-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #34
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by negris123 View Post
I just sideloaded a pdf file of images and you get the "zoomed out full page". However, there is no zoom and pan ability. It seems like the device handles pdf files the same way it handles epub files and for a pdf file, that just doesn't work (in my opinion)
Thank you so much for all the information you've posted. You deserve a major thumbs up.

I agree that "zoomed out" doesn't work for PDFs, but it's kind of what I was expected. I'm sad now, though.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #35
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Hope this helps!
Quote:
It looks so nice, crisp, and elegant with those fonts! I can't see any of the supposed ghosting in your pictures, either.
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #36
negris123
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn_aj View Post
I'm indeed happy to hear that . Thanks for taking the time to answer . I'd love to know about the highlights and notes and the shelves too if anyone else has any insight into that.
From the Nook User's Manual p.35

"... all files stored on a memory card appear in the My Files section of your Library, rather than in Books or Newwstand"

It looks like it's a different story is your files are stored in a memory card as opposed to the internal memory. I have not tried this, though, but it doesn't make any sense why it would be different.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #37
Antioch
Connoisseur

Quote:
From the Nook User's Manual p.35

"... all files stored on a memory card appear in the My Files section of your Library, rather than in Books or Newwstand"

It looks like it's a different story is your files are stored in a memory card as opposed to the internal memory. I have not tried this, though, but it doesn't make any sense why it would be different.
That's ridiculous. Why can't they all just show up in 1 location? If this is a why to try and get people to re-purchase books through B&N, it's a very sorry attempt.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks. Between the two, that does help.

Is it me or does the space at the top look big enough to fit another line?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #39
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
Quote:

Barely we'll say
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #40
Antioch
Connoisseur

Quote:

You could probably squeeze one in there, sure. I don't think it'd feel very "balanced" though. I think it flows just fine the way it is.

Of course, you could shift the whole page up half a line and add another line in at the bottom of the page and still have it "balanced." But I think the idea is that a new paragraph will start with the next line so they're holding it off for the next page? I dunno.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #41
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
You could probably squeeze one in there, sure. I don't think it'd feel very "balanced" though. I think it flows just fine the way it is.

Of course, you could shift the whole page up half a line and add another line in at the bottom of the page and still have it "balanced." But I think the idea is that a new paragraph will start with the next line so they're holding it off for the next page? I dunno.
yeah I'm not a big fan of the "floor to ceiling " lines on the page
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
yeah I'm not a big fan of the "floor to ceiling " lines on the page
I am. But I'll have to test things myself sometime when I can get a hold of a microSD card.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #43
Antioch
Connoisseur

Well, I do like to fit as much text as possible onto the screen. To that extent I'll likely always override settings and have the font, spacing, and margins set to smallest.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #44
negris123
Zealot

Quote:

I think this space is also needed so that when you tap on the center of the page bringing up the title of the book, battery status icon, time and boomark icon, they can all fit on the top of the page
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	648.9 KB
ID:	72274  
Old 06-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I think this space is also needed so that when you tap on the center of the page bringing up the title of the book, battery status icon, time and boomark icon, they can all fit on the top of the page
I hope that's a PDF on screen. Way too much margin left & right.