Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
First Look at Blio, Ray Kurzweil's Tablet-Friendly Ebook Format

From http://gizmodo.com/5435814/first-loo...y-ebook-format:

Quote:
Blio, officially debuting next week at CES, lets you read your ebooks as they're intended to look on paper. Clearly, Kurzweil is signaling his choice of tablets over e-ink, and his first shots are definitely persuasive.

With apps planned soon for the iPhone and PCs, Blio's cross-platform functionality makes it a natural fit for something like the Apple iSlate, which along with other tablet devices should be perfect for reading cookbooks, children's books, and any other illustrated tome. It marks a natural evolution away from the current stock of ebook readers, which are bound by the drab black and white of e-ink.

anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Oh look, Gizmodo making themselves look stupid again.

ePub is in no way limited to what e-readers can do, it's DBook/XHTML and is perfectly capable, as a standard, of handling complex books. As to TTS, existing readers do that, etc. etc.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Everyone says Blio will be demoed at CES, but I can't find the booth. The company doesn't appear to listed as an exhibitor.

But I did find the homepage for blio:
www.blioreader.com
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I think I'm missing something here.

What is the point of this? Multimedia PDF basically?

I mean, I'm all for a nice tablet solution, and I hate epub execution so far. I just don't know what this is really offering.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
Happ
Enthusiast
Happ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Happ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Happ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Happ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Bebook
Right. The closest thing to a book is something that needs power every 4 hours or so, does not fit in your pocket, is unreadable on the beach and you cannot hold it with just one hand while having coffee in a restaurant.

Back to reality, back to Bebook.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
Right. The closest thing to a book is something that needs power every 4 hours or so, does not fit in your pocket, is unreadable on the beach and you cannot hold it with just one hand while having coffee in a restaurant.

Back to reality, back to Bebook.
Closest thing to a book is a book. No really good substitutes yet. Your BeBook is as useless and pathetic for many kinds of reading as current tablets are for all-day beach novel reading.

Random tablet hate is unbecoming.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Why? Look, Slate PC's are nothing new. The industry's wandered off into heavy tablet PC's, sure, but my old Fujitsu Stylistic (RIP) was a darn nice device. If they're being reintroduced, great, but they should be no more expensive, at worse, than the tablet PC's of the same spec since they ditch the keyboard and often other portions (the Stylistic had no floppy or CD/DVD drive...) of the electronics.

I'm not amused by tech sites which treat them as the new hotness and get themselves lathered up about them.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Closest thing to a book is a book. No really good substitutes yet. Your BeBook is as useless and pathetic for many kinds of reading as current tablets are for all-day beach novel reading.

Random tablet hate is unbecoming.
Care to expand on the MANY types of reading that the Bebook (or others) is pathetic at?

I throw your last line back at you changing 'tablet' for 'electronic reader'.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Care to expand on the MANY types of reading that the Bebook (or others) is pathetic at?

I throw your last line back at you changing 'tablet' for 'electronic reader'.
The word many was your own emphasis, and not mine.

It should not require much thought to figure out what kinds of documents are pretty bad on ebook readers, and particularly on smaller ones like the BeBook.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I think I'm missing something here.

What is the point of this? Multimedia PDF basically?

I mean, I'm all for a nice tablet solution, and I hate epub execution so far. I just don't know what this is really offering.
Not much info in the article.
I'm certainly not seeing anything compelling that is different than reading on a netbook.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #11
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Drab black and white of E-Ink

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag View Post
Well, that drab black and white does give 8,000 pages to a single charge and causes less eye strain. Most books are black ink on white (bleached) paper.
An Astak Pocket PRO costs about $199 and even has Text-To-Speech with the leather case and ear buds included.

So, while the tablet may sound great initially... try getting one by airport security now and buying one for $199.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I checked a few of the titles in the "All Books" image, to see if any were exclusives. Let the Great World Spin, In Defense of Food, and Strength in What Remains (for example) are on the Kindle, but all three have text to speech disabled.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Oooo pretty pictures, mommy I want one!
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #14
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Oooo pretty pictures, mommy I want one!
Kovid, you are something else. What, I'm not sure. But something. (That was meant to be a compliment, by the way...)
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
exreader
exanimate ex post facto
exreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
i'm looking for something revolutionary... iFlowers for instance. color and texture and SMELL. interactive! plant seeds, watch your flowers grow! speed up time! bonus packs include iBugs and iFungus and iPests to syngergistically add to your growing garden...

uhm, yeah

ex
exreader is offline   Reply With Quote