Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
But the Surface RT is definitely not positioned as an iPad competitor, it is positioned to do 90% of what a real laptop can do. MS office, you can just plug in USB key boards and mice, even USB wireless ones. Real side-by-side multitasking. Make no mistake, it is a real PC. A great choice, for many, not all (gamers, graphic artists, CAD users, etc should stay away). If all your needs are covered by what it can do it is a much better choice than the Pro -- lighter, longer battery life and much cheaper. Especially when you figure the price of MS Office into the equation.
well, thats the real point isn't it? If it can't compete in a very competative market then .....
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #17
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
well, thats the real point isn't it? If it can't compete in a very competative market then .....
Sure it can compete -- you are just placing it in the wrong market. (The ipad is still selling even though the simple Kindle e-ink reader is only $69.-, the price of one doesn't affect the other). The market for the Surface Pro is those who also need a PC but want that PC to be as light and portable as possible -- and also want it to fullfil tablet functions. And most tablet users now still have PCs, some even have both desktops and laptops.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds like a very reasonable price to me. As others have said, they're competing against Ultrabooks, not low-end tablets. I shall probably order one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #19
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sounds like a very reasonable price to me. As others have said, they're competing against Ultrabooks, not low-end tablets.
Agreed. This does not seem unreasonable to me. What will ultimately determine its fair value (to me) is the battery life. I don't need another Windows tablet with a four hour battery.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #20
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
The market for the Surface Pro is those who also need a PC but want that PC to be as light and portable as possible -- and also want it to fullfil tablet functions.
That would be me!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #21
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I shall probably order one.
I'm inclined to as well - if only to avoid having to lug a great heavy laptop when I'm travelling.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #22
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"it is positioned to do 90% of what a real laptop can do. MS office, you can just plug in USB key boards and mice, even USB wireless ones. Real side-by-side multitasking. Make no mistake, it is a real PC. A great choice, for many, not all (gamers, graphic artists, CAD users, etc should stay away)"
Well for $900 USD I would Demand the ability to run "real " Graphics & 3D animation and Video editing programs so yeah I would Definitely stay away.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #23
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
The appeal of Utrabooks, to me, is their weight and battery life. At 4 hours, I will stay far, far away from it. I'd rather be getting the Samsung Ativ 700. I've been holding off on ordering one because I thought the Surface w/Win Pro was a contender.
Oh well. Missed opportunity again.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #24
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
The cost (with the keyboard) is $30 more than an 11" Macbook Air.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #25
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
But the Surface RT is definitely not positioned as an iPad competitor, it is positioned to do 90% of what a real laptop can do. MS office, you can just plug in USB key boards and mice, even USB wireless ones. Real side-by-side multitasking. Make no mistake, it is a real PC. A great choice, for many, not all (gamers, graphic artists, CAD users, etc should stay away).
I disagree. If you are a heavy Office user,then it may cover 90% of what you do with your laptop. The fact that you are locked into an app store, makes it just another tablet, but with a lousy screen resolution and an (at the moment) obscure OS. One can hope it will take off and get app developers excited enough to start churning out apps for it, but it may end up like the HP-whatwasitsnamecauseIforgot. Right now, it does not do a single thing that I use my laptop for, and much much less than what I use my iOS and Android tablet for.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #26
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"Right now, it does not do a single thing that I use my laptop for, and much much less than what I use my iOS and Android tablet for."
My sentiments exactly
My Mac laptops were always cumbersome overkill for my mobile computing activities( web surfing,watching occasional video and casual reading/studying)

and the REAL PRODUCTION WORK I need to do on my Macs were not practical for the road such as long 3D animation render& video compositing and other VFX stuff where the computer needs to just sit and process frames for several hours at a time.

Hence the tablet craze with a "mobile OS"( IOS/Android).

Bigger than a smart phone for my aging 49 year old, bifocal assisted eyes.
but much smaller & lighter than my cumbersome laptop.

This $900 dollar surface does not fit my scaled down tablet needs nor would it suffice as a true windows laptop for the processor intensive CG work That I Do.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #27
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Those of us in the AEC world (Arch/Engr/Construction) can't wait to get these in our hands, and out into the field.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote