Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Who is going to buy a Kindle?
No way in Heck will I get one! 6 14.63%
Me! Me! Me! I will! Me! Me! Me! 4 9.76%
Maybe. It depends on the price, options, appearance 31 75.61%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2007, 11:18 AM   #16
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Putting the buttons down at the bottom would make it a difficult grip though.
Perhaps a little difficult, but I'm ok with that since text input in a decidedly secondary function of the device. To me, it's for 99% reading, 1% typing. So it wouldn't bother me if the keys were small and a little awkward to use. I'd much rather it be awkward than large.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #17
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
Perhaps a little difficult, but I'm ok with that since text input in a decidedly secondary function of the device. To me, it's for 99% reading, 1% typing. So it wouldn't bother me if the keys were small and a little awkward to use. I'd much rather it be awkward than large.
Personally I'd like the option of full USB connectivity that would allow plugging a full keybord. I could use that to write my book or unplug it for leasure reading without any wasted space/size.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Let's see. The question is: Am I going to go buy a unit that costs $500-$700 (but no one really knows) which is capable of reading--some e-book format (but no one really knows) which may or may not have a lot of content available for it that may or may not be severely DRM-limited (but no one really knows) and which might have other features (but no one really knows) when it (maybe) becomes available sometime between October 15th and ... never.

Sure, I'm in!
Hmmm. When you put it like that, how could anyone possibly refuse?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #19
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Personally I'd like the option of full USB connectivity that would allow plugging a full keybord. I could use that to write my book or unplug it for leasure reading without any wasted space/size.
Interesting. Add a little stand and it could be a simple word-processor. Probably not the market they are going for though.

Personally, I think an on-screen keyboard would be fine if the only reason for a keyboard is to shop the online store.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #20
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
Interesting. Add a little stand and it could be a simple word-processor. Probably not the market they are going for though.

Personally, I think an on-screen keyboard would be fine if the only reason for a keyboard is to shop the online store.
They did make it look like a study tool. Writing on it is inherent then.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #21
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
I had the same idea

Wait for one slightly faster refresh and of those fabric keyboards and you'd have a killer study device.

Not only that but this approach also has the advantage that you'd make it optional thus not imposing it on all your users.

That's what I'd call "flexible design" (pun not entirely intended)

It's getting closer and closer...
(Some day my color iLiad will have a case made from that fabric...)

Last edited by BKeeper; 10-05-2007 at 05:06 PM.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #22
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Will I buy a Kindle? I don't know.

I want an e-Ink reader, but price and format support will be major determinants. If it supports the formats I use and comes in at an affordable price I may get one. If it doesn't, I won't.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:38 AM   #23
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'll buy one if
1) it is good enough
2) enough people buy my two mp3 files (see my sig) to reduce the cost to acceptable levels...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:27 AM   #24
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Since it looks like the Kindle will be announce on Monday, am resurrecting this thread.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #25
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
You go, Nate! Actually, a new poll option could be added as we're now fairly sure what the price is going to be ($399).

I would immediately buy the Kindle, if I knew that I could use the online services also in Europe. But somehow I don't think this is going to work ;(
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:51 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It will probably be the usual situation of the American media completely ignoring any non-US product when it comes to writing reviews. Look at the two recent reviews of the Sony 505 we've seen in the last week, neither of which (when discussing other devices) made the least mention of the Gen3 or the iLiad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:03 AM   #27
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
If it's going to be $399 that's a problem. Price is one of the things that's limiting sales on the Sony Reader and going $100 in the wrong direction isn't going to help.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:56 AM   #28
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm interested but will wait and see.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:13 AM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I would immediately buy the Kindle, if I knew that I could use the online services also in Europe. But somehow I don't think this is going to work ;(
I know it's by no means conclusive, but didn't we see some Kindle Editions noted on Amazon's UK site?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:18 AM   #30
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It needs to support open ebook formats, to subscribe to and read any RSS feed as well as import my OPML file from Google Reader, read and answer my Gmail, access any other only sources for ebooks including full access to Google Books, function as an open standard for payable content so I can buy access to one newspaper article at the time using micropayments instead of being only able to read articles from a newspaper if I pay an expensive subscription, it should access to all articles from Google News as well. Especially, Amazon needs to make it available in Europe working on HSDPA networks.

Last edited by Charbax; 11-19-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote