Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2018, 10:53 PM   #1
Lima7
Connoisseur
Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Aura
Kobo aura h20 edition 2 doesn't hold charge

Hey everyone!

I have this few months old kobo aura h20 edition 2 and it doesn't hold the charge. I will charge it about -50%, and the next day it's empty.

My kobo aura used to last me for weeks on sleep. This one doesn't even last 24h. Is this normal?
Lima7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
Lima7
Connoisseur
Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.

Update. Tonight it went from 82 to 58 really quickly. I did not even use it.
Advert
Old 07-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
J_K
Enthusiast
J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: H2O 2, Aura 2, Clara HD, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima7 View Post
Hey everyone!

I have this few months old kobo aura h20 edition 2 and it doesn't hold the charge. I will charge it about -50%, and the next day it's empty.

My kobo aura used to last me for weeks on sleep. This one doesn't even last 24h. Is this normal?
No, that's not normal. Battery life should be as good as any other ereader, given its 1500 mah battery.

I suppose you could try a factory reset, if you haven't already done so.
J_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #4
Lima7
Connoisseur

Hey everyone! Update. I contacted Kobo and they confirmed it was a problematic device. They are sending a new one, because the factory reset did not work!

When they send a replacement device, is it a brand new device?
Old 07-19-2018, 12:49 AM   #5
Lima7
Connoisseur

Update again ! Got a brand new device. Same problem. Could the problem be coming from the ePub file I'm currently reading ????
Advert
Old 07-19-2018, 06:20 AM   #6
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Update again ! Got a brand new device. Same problem. Could the problem be coming from the ePub file I'm currently reading ????
How did you set the new device up? Did you do a backup of the old device and restore it (i.e. copied the folders and the old database) or did you set it up normally?
It does look like it might be a faulty ebook. I had similar problems with my Glo HD a couple of weeks ago, but substituting the faulty battery with a new one fixed it.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:21 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Lima7: You don't supply much information to get an idea of what the problem might be. The battery running down by 50% in a few hours isn't absurd, it just depends on what you are doing.

So, the questions that come to mind are:

- What firmware version? Really, this should be in every problem report.
- What were you doing with the device? Reading, sleeping, powered off...
- If it is just sitting there, does it go to sleep?
- What type of books are you reading? Sideloaded or purchased, epub or kepubs or others.
- Do you use a sleep cover?
- Is automatic sleep enabled? How long?
- Is WiFi on?
- Is the automatic sync enable?

I feel like I've left something out, but that should be a start.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
Lima7
Connoisseur

Ok more info.

- brand new device was set up as a new device. No back up used.
- wifi off. Device on sleep mode. Lights off.
- charged it at 100%, read 40min then left it for less than 24h on sleep mode. Battery emptied itself and kobo shut down.
- using ePub sideloaded and kepubs too.
- yes I have a sleep cover
- yes automatic sleep is on. Minimum time. Same for shut down
- automatic sync is disabled

I've owned a Kobo aura for years and my battery used to last me for weeks. I don't feel like 100% to 0% in less than 24 hours on sleep mode is normal. If this keeps going, I might return my H2O and get the Clara hd..
Old 07-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #9
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
First, try disabling the sleepcover in the options and putting it to sleep manually, and see if the battery still discharges abnormally.
If it does, it might be a problem with one of the books you loaded on the device. Do you remember when this problem started happening? You could try removing the books you added from that day onwards, reboot the device and see what happens. The epubs can be checked for errors in Calibre using the editor.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #10
Lima7
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
First, try disabling the sleepcover in the options and putting it to sleep manually, and see if the battery still discharges abnormally.
If it does, it might be a problem with one of the books you loaded on the device. Do you remember when this problem started happening? You could try removing the books you added from that day onwards, reboot the device and see what happens. The epubs can be checked for errors in Calibre using the editor.
I have no clue what Calibre is but I guess I'll google it up

Thanks for the advices. I will try to remove the books I added lately, reboot it, and see what happens. I hope it fixes the problem, because I really love my H2O, and usually love Kobo products for long battery life!
Old 07-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Ok more info.

- brand new device was set up as a new device. No back up used.
You stated it was a new device. But, what firmware version? It only takes a few seconds to find out and post the firmware version number.
Quote:
- wifi off. Device on sleep mode. Lights off.
How did it go to sleep? Cover, timeout or you used the button?
Quote:
- charged it at 100%, read 40min then left it for less than 24h on sleep mode. Battery emptied itself and kobo shut down.
What was the battery level when you stopped reading?
Quote:
- using ePub sideloaded and kepubs too.
- yes I have a sleep cover
Does it go to sleep? When you open the cover, do you see the sleep screen and then the device wakes?
Quote:
- yes automatic sleep is on. Minimum time. Same for shut down
So, 5 minutes for each of these settings? Did it go to sleep after five minutes and turn of five minutes later?

You state above that it had an empty battery and shut down after less than 4 hours. But, if you have the power setting you state, it should have turned off after being idle for 10 minutes.
Quote:
- automatic sync is disabled
If WiFi is off, this won't matter.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #12
Lima7
Connoisseur

- cover
- 94%
- yes
- the wifi is off, yes.
- it does go to sleep. But then I also went to bed lol. So I don't know if it shut off or no. But it did go to sleep yes.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
- cover
- 94%
- yes
- the wifi is off, yes.
- it does go to sleep. But then I also went to bed lol. So I don't know if it shut off or no. But it did go to sleep yes.
Was it powered off when you woke up? The sleep cover should not power it on when you opened it.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #14
Lima7
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Was it powered off when you woke up? The sleep cover should not power it on when you opened it.
It was dead. Showing battery sign. I had to plug it in and it started charging at 1%
Old 07-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
It was dead. Showing battery sign. I had to plug it in and it started charging at 1%
Try disabling the sleep cover and the power off timer, then putting it to sleep manually with the cover left open. See what the battery charge looks like the next morning. If it still drops drastically, instead of putting to sleep, power it off manually. If the battery level drops when powered off, try a drop kick from the 20 metre line. Well, not serious about the last suggestion.

BTW, AFAIK, if you set the sleep and power off timers both to 5 minutes, it will try to go to sleep and power off at the 5 minute mark. AFAIR, when I tried the following in Kobo eReader.conf:

Code:
AutoOffMinutes=7
AutoSleepMinutes=5
my Aura HD went to sleep after 5 minutes and powered off 2 minutes later.

This may have changed in later firmware so the Power Off timer starts after the sleep timer has timed out as I haven't tested those settings in years.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote