View Poll Results: What is your preferred justification
Left Justify 93 38.91%
Justified 120 50.21%
Don't care 26 10.88%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2020, 01:14 AM   #136
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
It sounds like the bar for badness is quite high for you. I can easily switch between fully justified and ragged right with the Forma and with it fully justified the spacing was very obviously off.

I agree that fully justified does look nicer. But it's purely an aesthetic quality. I'm amused that people are more sensitive to an aesthetic quality rather than a functional one where the spacing between words is inconsistent, irregular, and bumpy.
Well, You could be right but I am very disturbed by a book without full justification and without hyphenation (apart poetry, of course), I always change css. All preferences are pretty individual, nobody is right or wrong.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:43 AM   #137
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With proper hyphenation, the spacing is not going to be as bad when fully justified.
Proper hyphenation is almost impossible in German.
And even if that were possible, the parts of the separated words in the reading flow bother me
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2020, 05:40 AM   #138
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Proper hyphenation is almost impossible in German.
And even if that were possible, the parts of the separated words in the reading flow bother me
Before eBooks and with pBooks, did hyphens bother you?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:13 AM   #139
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Before eBooks and with pBooks, did hyphens bother you?
No, but I'm much slower with paper books and I read a lot less.
I read paper books when I have a lot of time - not in between, as I do with a reader, for example in a doctor's waiting room, on a plane, in the subway, on a park bench during a walk, ....
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:02 AM   #140
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
I prefer to read justified.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2020, 07:44 AM   #141
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Except if you wear your reading glasses (if needed) and have a 7" @300 dpi screen with font size similar to a mass market paperback then the full justification isn't bad. On a 6" screen it's not so good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
It sounds like the bar for badness is quite high for you. I can easily switch between fully justified and ragged right with the Forma and with it fully justified the spacing was very obviously off.

It sounds like the bar for badness is quite low for you.

I tried Quoths experiment on my 6", setting the number of words on a line the same for both an ebook a pbook, and the results were very similar.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #142
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I don't care. I am unaware of anything while reading. Font, justification and even people talking to me doesn't distract me when reading. Just ask my wife.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:26 AM   #143
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I'm fine with hyphens as long as they're correctly placed in the expected spot between syllables. I've come across a few where the hyphen was in the wrong place and those do draw my attention away from what I'm reading.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #144
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I'm fine with hyphens as long as they're correctly placed in the expected spot between syllables. I've come across a few where the hyphen was in the wrong place and those do draw my attention away from what I'm reading.
Which Reader? If Kobo, which hyphenation dictionary?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:09 AM   #145
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Which Reader? If Kobo, which hyphenation dictionary?
I don't remember if I saw this on my Kobo or if it was on one of my other readers.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:38 PM   #146
rube
rube
rube began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm quite happy with a 'ragged right' because the words, the story itself, is the important part.
rube is offline   Reply With Quote