Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-06-2020, 11:10 AM   #1
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Goodereader.com/Pocketbook Anyone Know Anyone?

Hi -- I am a long time member here although I read here much more than I post. But I am having a problem that it occurs to me someone here might be able to help me with. Anyway, I ordered a Pocketbook Color form the Goodereader people online. I used PayPal which is tied to my Discover card. Anyway, after I ordered it I saw that the manual was online and looked at it. For various reasons after reading the manual and after discovering that there was absolutely no phone support given to US customers I decided to cancel my order. So within an hour of placing the order I emailed Goodereader to cancel. As they do not have stock yet I did not see this as a major problem and told them my reasons and that I'd be surely happy to do business with them in the future.

So, anyway, I do not get an email response. What is worse the day after I ask for a cancellation they charge my Discover card through PayPal. I have tried to contact them on PayPal and they will not respond to me. I did not see anything to do but start a Resolution Center thing in PayPal.

But I do not want to have to do that. What I am wondering is if anyone here happens to have any contact with anyone within the Goodereader company? Maybe there is a better email than what I have.

Anyway I just have never had anything this expensive that I had to cancel well within a day of ordering and where the company charged me and would not respond. Their site seems to be a pretty nice store and comes across as run by nice people. I am guessing that this is some sort of foul-up and that I just need to reach someone there directly.

Any help? Thanks.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #2
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
In the future you could also consider newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/PocketBook-In.../ID-207683-782
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also call your credit card and discuss it with them (the number's on the back of the card). I've had success with them when orders have gone awry.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:04 PM   #4
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I will certainly call the credit card if I can't resolve this. I did hear from a person today who told me they are passing it to their billing department. Oh, I looked at Newegg (thanks) but the do not have the color one on their site as yet.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Goodereader is not reputable. Apparently they have a history of false advertising (not having what they promised in stock), zero customer service and a take the money and run approach. I think it is best if you do a chargeback and call it a day. That might be the only way you get your money back.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2020, 01:32 PM   #6
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Oh, I looked at Newegg (thanks) but the do not have the color one on their site as yet.
Yes, because it's not available yet. And it's not listed as out of stock because they've never had it in stock. That's how I think a reputable business should behave.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #7
Neil
Addict

Thanks. I did get an email from them which basically just disagreed with a few reasons I gave for not wanting the unit! They said someone from their billing department would be in touch. But I have a very bad feeling about this and am going to call Discover asap as the PayPal resolution center says they are waiting until late September to resolve this. Unbelievable they charged my card
Old 08-08-2020, 12:53 PM   #8
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Unbelievable they charged my card.
Not so unbelievable to others here.

I rarely use my Discover card any more but back when I did they were very easy to work with for disputes like this.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #9
Neil
Addict

OMG, this is getting weird. I just spoke to Discover and they said I would have to refile after ten days to given them chance to respond and that's understandable. Discover seems quite good. On the other hand, I get a note from PayPal they need a receipt. So the only receipt I have is actually the PayPal notice of a transaction made! So, no problem I think I will log onto my account at Goodereader and simply get in my account a receipt.

Guess what? Apparently, Goodereader has wiped my account off their site. Not only does my account email and password no longer work but if I try to change the password it says no such email exists!

The only reason I can think of, and I hope I am wrong, is that Goodereader seems to be trying to actually hide the details of the transaction. Holy Cow.

At any rate I think that Discover seems more interested in helping. Geesh, this I do not need!

(NOTE: I wish to clarify this as it turns out that it was my fault that I could not access my account to retrieve a receipt. It was an older password saved in my browser from some time previous).

Last edited by Neil; 08-10-2020 at 12:34 PM. Reason: retraction of some information
Old 08-08-2020, 06:49 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Here is the thread from 2010 where goodereader was outed as a copyright infringer.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=85235

Here is a thread pointing to their self-branded 6.8" ereader scam. The discussion continued for a couple of years.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=285702

Here is a thread from 2018 that documents their Indiegogo self-branded 13.3" ereader scam and their rooted Sony DPT-RP1 scam,

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292243

Here is a 2019 thread with pointers to a couple of 2019 goodereader editorials decrying copyright infringement but the thread also points to documentation that they were still infringing copyright in 2011 but were trying to disguise that.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292243

Here is a thread from this January with an example of poor service and evasiveness:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=326706

This 2019 thread documents some behavior that may or may not cross the boundary from legal to illegal, but is certainly in sleazy territory.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321104

I've omitted the many, many threads documenting the many times they have copied information from mobileread and many other sources, not only without attribution, but also implicitly or explicitly passing it off as their own work.

Last edited by j.p.s; 08-10-2020 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Add other examples of misconduct
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:40 PM   #11
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Here is the thread where goodereader was outed as a copyright infringer.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=85235
I don't think that they're doing that any more. But their store is clearly sketchy. And they regularly publish articles where all of the information came from posts here on MobilRead, without any attribution. Nate always gives appropriate attribution for stuff from here.

Last edited by hobnail; 08-08-2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #12
Neil
Addict

OK, PayPal came through for me and the refund was processed. I first received a note from PayPal. Then I received the refund from Goodereader. Then I received a letter from a corporate officer of Goodereader. I would myself characterize it as somewhat personally abusive.It calls me a "spaz" and asked me if I am "a damn child" for spouting "negative crap" about Goodereader and suggests that if I was an "adult" I would simply have rejected the package. And it closes with calling me an "idiot." Maybe he has a point. On the other hand, I still feel that given the lack of immediate and positive response to a near-immediate request for a refund there were few routes open to me. I cannot easily afford to lose $300. I do not think waiting for a nearly $300 package and refusing delivery would have been the way to go. I turned to my friends and community here for help. Perhaps, as this man implies, I did not need the help. Maybe it would have worked itself out on its own. Still, I wish to thank those who did try to help me in the conversation here and to let you all know that this turned out OK for me. (Oh, one other thing. To make sure that I have been fair about all of this I wish to clarify my message about having been erased from their site. Turns out that back email showed me I was using a wrong user name which was different from other areas on their site. So I WAS able to access my account there with the receipt.)

Last edited by Neil; 08-10-2020 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added retraction on access
Old 08-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
So, is there a sense that some prefix their name with "Good" the way a former region of Germany and a northern part of Korea use Democratic?

I'm no fan of Argos, Amazon, or eBay, but none of them has ever been abusive to anyone I know and are fairly good on refunding / correcting purchases.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:16 PM   #14
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Wow, an actual business used those words in an email? That is ridiculous, and if there were any doubts left about that site/business, that should be the decider.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:21 PM   #15
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Maybe he has a point.
Don't feel guilty. It's not as if your worries were baseless. There are sufficient posts on here about them being sketchy.

Tags
goodereader bad