Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-31-2020, 05:23 PM   #1
sabri
sabri began at the beginning.

Device: android
folder names corrupt when author/language in Hebrew?

Hello all
fold[IMG]<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=B55E3F9D4DD798FF&resid=B55E3F9D4DD798FF% 213143373&authkey=AE6t5MmYxulV7QE" width="98" height="120" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>[/IMG]

I hope the picture embedding works.
Anyhow, the problem I have is that Hebrew book/author name appear fine in the Calibre program itself, but for some reason, the folder names that are assigned to them are "translated" into weird gibberish, that seems to try to emulate the hebrew sound (?) of the names.
Is it an inherent problem/feature? Is it not possible, in Calibre, to have the actual Hebrew folder names - I mean Windows definitely allows it, practically all other software on Windows handles Hebrew folder/files name with no propblem, so how is it so with Calibre?
or maybe I do something wrong with operating Calibre?
I'd appreciate any response.
Thanks in advance
Doron
sabri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Calibre uses folder/file names with a subset of characters known to work across operating systems. Use the "Save to disk" feature to export files with names of your choice.

For more information see Want to change folder structure or file names in the Calibre library?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
sabri

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Calibre uses folder/file names with a subset of characters known to work across operating systems. Use the "Save to disk" feature to export files with names of your choice.

For more information see Want to change folder structure or file names in the Calibre library?
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Unfortunately, though, it seems to me that your reply doesn't relate to my problem.
I'll try to explain, and would greatly appreciate an answer.
Regarding your answers, in order:
1. If "Calibre uses folder/file names with a subset of characters known to work across operating systems", how come it saves hebrew names in a non compatible manner with Windows? why isn't it consistent with English names/Folders?
2. "Saving as" doesn't change anything. Hebrew titles/authors are not saved in file/folder structure named accordingly (that is, in Hebrew), but behaves the same way Calibre handles those Hebrew names, that is: Hebrew titles/authors are "converted" somehow, I believe based on the Hebrew letters audible sound (?), for instance (real example), author's name is "אורן מוסטקי", instead of creating a folder which is called exactly that and save the book there, Calibre creates a folder called "vrn mvstqy", which is, I believe, some transcription of the way the Hebrew is supposed to sound, only a pretty lame one
- the way author's name really sounds in the case is "oren mustaky".
3. Further, regarding the suggested referenced link ("Want to change folder structure or file names in the Calibre library?"): I'm not trying to change Calibre's folder structure or files names (and I'm aware it's a non-option), rather, exactly the opposite: I'm trying to get Calibre apply its own folder/file names structure also to Hebrew authors/titles, and use for this the Hebrew titles/names it uses so smoothly in the Calibre client itself, instead of so strangely "transcribe" them as-if-phonetically into English un-intelligble folder/file names.

I suppose the answer could be that its not possible, but I doubt it, as it seems that someone went an extra length to change the standard behaviour when it comes to Hebrew authors/titles (and maybe other non English languages? I didn't check).

I should add that I immensely appreciate "the Calibre project", its creator (Kovid Goyal) and all contributors.

Thanks again

Doron
Old 08-07-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
All file and folders ames in the calibre library are asciized (transliterated to english). That is not going to change. You can have calibre not do that when using the Save to disk button to export files from calibre by going to Preferences->Save to disk and disabling the option to convert non-english names to their english equivalents.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:41 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabri View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Unfortunately, though, it seems to me that your reply doesn't relate to my problem.
I'll try to explain, and would greatly appreciate an answer.
Regarding your answers, in order:
1. If "Calibre uses folder/file names with a subset of characters known to work across operating systems", how come it saves hebrew names in a non compatible manner with Windows? why isn't it consistent with English names/Folders?
2. "Saving as" doesn't change anything. Hebrew titles/authors are not saved in file/folder structure named accordingly (that is, in Hebrew), but behaves the same way Calibre handles those Hebrew names, that is: Hebrew titles/authors are "converted" somehow, I believe based on the Hebrew letters audible sound (?), for instance (real example), author's name is "אורן מוסטקי", instead of creating a folder which is called exactly that and save the book there, Calibre creates a folder called "vrn mvstqy", which is, I believe, some transcription of the way the Hebrew is supposed to sound, only a pretty lame one
- the way author's name really sounds in the case is "oren mustaky".
3. Further, regarding the suggested referenced link ("Want to change folder structure or file names in the Calibre library?"): I'm not trying to change Calibre's folder structure or files names (and I'm aware it's a non-option), rather, exactly the opposite: I'm trying to get Calibre apply its own folder/file names structure also to Hebrew authors/titles, and use for this the Hebrew titles/names it uses so smoothly in the Calibre client itself, instead of so strangely "transcribe" them as-if-phonetically into English un-intelligble folder/file names.

I suppose the answer could be that its not possible, but I doubt it, as it seems that someone went an extra length to change the standard behaviour when it comes to Hebrew authors/titles (and maybe other non English languages? I didn't check).

I should add that I immensely appreciate "the Calibre project", its creator (Kovid Goyal) and all contributors.

Thanks again

Doron
1. Basically, any directory or file names in the calibre library are transliterated to ASCII. To go back to a rather old thread: transliteration in file&directory names. The OP in that thread was using Cyrillic not Hebrew but the situation hasn't changed. There are still operating system installs out there that are not Unicode compliant.

2. There is no "saving as" for the calibre library. Save to disk and save to device might be what you are thinking of. The transliteration is not intended to be phonetic, it simply converts a Unicode code character to an ASCII character.

So treat a calibre library as a black box and do not start digging around it's directories and files. Use the GUI or the CLI to manage your books. Save to disk and send to device will (or should) use the correct Hebrew file/directory names.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
sabri

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
All file and folders ames in the calibre library are asciized (transliterated to english). That is not going to change. You can have calibre not do that when using the Save to disk button to export files from calibre by going to Preferences->Save to disk and disabling the option to convert non-english names to their english equivalents.
Thank you. It was helpful.
And thanks again for Calibre.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #7
sabri

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
1. Basically, any directory or file names in the calibre library are transliterated to ASCII. To go back to a rather old thread: transliteration in file&directory names. The OP in that thread was using Cyrillic not Hebrew but the situation hasn't changed. There are still operating system installs out there that are not Unicode compliant.

2. There is no "saving as" for the calibre library. Save to disk and save to device might be what you are thinking of. The transliteration is not intended to be phonetic, it simply converts a Unicode code character to an ASCII character.

So treat a calibre library as a black box and do not start digging around it's directories and files. Use the GUI or the CLI to manage your books. Save to disk and send to device will (or should) use the correct Hebrew file/directory names.
Thank you for so patiently answering my question.
I appreciate it a lot.
Doron.

Tags
file name, folder name, hebrew, language