Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #16
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
if uniformity were an objective "minus" where icons are concerned, there would be no such thing as icon themes in the first place.
And maybe that would be no bad thing?

Look, for instance, at the icon bar at the top of the editor page we use to write these messages. The icons are compact, functional and don't look 'designed'. (Far too much space is wasted on a gallery of smilies, but that's another matter.)

Remember the reading pane in Calibre, until the (welcome) recent re-design? That was another example of icons being thoroughly intrusive.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:53 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Just stop. Your "don't like" is just a "don't like." Nothing more nothing less. Trying to assign objective "correctness" to your personal dislike is pointless.

"Intrusive icons" means nothing to me. I've never considered an icon intrusive, nor have I ever heard any described as intrusive before. I don't particularly "care for" that many icons myself--and I actively dislike even less. They're a means to an end for me. Something for me to learn (or relearn) and then forget about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Remember the reading pane in Calibre, until the (welcome) recent re-design? That was another example of icons being thoroughly intrusive.
Case in point: no. No I don't remember. I don't remember any intrusive icons, nor do I remember any redesign of any intrusive icons. I just use them.

It's OK for you to not like Sigil's icons. Full stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
And maybe that would be no bad thing?
So the guy that's wants the old Sigil icons back is not in favor icon themes being available? Gotcha. No hurry on implementing the feature then.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-29-2020 at 01:59 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2020, 02:29 PM   #18
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
So the guy that's wants the old Sigil icons back is not in favor icon themes being available? Gotcha. No hurry on implementing the feature then.
Neat bit of sophistry there! Yes, if 'icon themes' means a choice of icons, I've made it clear I favour it. If it means 'a set of icons that sacrifice individuality for uniformity', I've made it clear I don't.

I've rather surprised myself by not adjusting to the new icons after using them on a few big jobs. Hence my raising of the subject And of course we're both allowed to cite efficiency as well as mere preference.

That 'Donate' icon right in the middle of the functional ones wasn't helping. It's entitled to a place, but maybe not such a central one. (And anyway, the Donate button currently leads to a dead end!)

Last edited by exaltedwombat; 07-29-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #19
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes, We volunteer our time to sigil. No monetary donations are accepted. You should be able to use the View menu to hide the Donate piece of the toolbar as well as any other toolbar pieces you do not use regularly.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #20
exaltedwombat
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Yes, We volunteer our time to sigil. No monetary donations are accepted. You should be able to use the View menu to hide the Donate piece of the toolbar as well as any other toolbar pieces you do not use regularly.

I think I remember making small donations to both Sigil and Calibre many years ago, when they enabled my first paid work on an eBook! Along with a couple of music programs, they've probably been responsible for more income than anything else on my computer. Thank you. (Despite my quibbles about the icons :-)
Advert