Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #31
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It does on my devices. Select something in a book, when the toolbar pops up, tap the magnifying glass and Wikipedia is on the menu.

Not the online search with the magnifying glass, but the offline search from the zim file, see the pics in post #1, it's not working in 4.x.

Last edited by oren64; 03-20-2017 at 08:00 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:25 AM   #32
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It does on my devices. Select something in a book, when the toolbar pops up, tap the magnifying glass and Wikipedia is on the menu.
Which firmware version? Maybe they put it back? It was definitely gone in the early 4.x firmwares.

Also, there was a internet wikipedia search and a zim offline search, both of which were labeled wikipedia, and I think the one tied to highlight was for internet search.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #33
anarres
anarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the rough

Device: none yet
trial report of spanish wikipedia with pics (15,5 gb on a sd 16gb card): load process frozed at 6% If I restart de device (with the sd card inside) the kiwix "book" is presented. I open it and it seems to work properly... BUT:
-not all the entrys appear listed on the search box
-the "zoo entry problem" appears on many other entrys (blank page, frozen device...)

Any idea or I just forget this nice discover?

Sorry my english

Last edited by anarres; 05-18-2017 at 11:41 AM.
anarres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:25 PM   #34
RobertoOG
Enthusiast
RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo aura h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeles84 View Post
Hello, the "Wikipedia" search option no longer appears in any of the menus in firmware 4.1. Is there any patch for this?
Yeah, I've updated from 3.* to 4.3.9084 and the ability to search wikipedia offline from .zim* files is gone .

The wikipedia file is accessible as a book from home screen but searching articles is not available, so it's useless. Hoping it get fixed in 4.4.* and/or a patch is created
RobertoOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:45 PM   #35
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any news if zim has been fixed on kobo? I'm sticking with the 3.x firmware until 4.4 allows searching in zims again.
Advert
Old 06-16-2017, 06:57 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What the heck is zim?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #37
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What the heck is zim?
Check the first page of the thread, it's how wiki's are stored.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:54 PM   #38
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
The last working version of this where you could properly search inside a ZIM file is 4.0.7523. The menu option disappeared in later versions, although you could still open the ZIM file through normal means. I actually keep a spare internal SD card with this version and a copy of Wikipedia and Wiktionary on it for the times I need to switch my Glo HD into a reference e-reader.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #39
RobertoOG
Enthusiast
RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo aura h2o
Does someone know if wikipedia .zim files are working correctly in new firmware 4.6.9960?
RobertoOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:17 AM   #40
Taner
Taner began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOG View Post
Does someone know if wikipedia .zim files are working correctly in new firmware 4.6.9960?
I'm wondering about that. Can someone control it?
Taner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:05 AM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, but I think this is something you will have to try yourself. I don't know about others, but this is not something I have any interest in testing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:38 AM   #42
compurandom
Guru

I tried yesterday. It can read the first page, links don't work, can't search.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #43
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
If this patch:
patch Allow launching browser without wifi connected
would be adapted to an actual firmware, running kiwix-wikidumps on that firmware shouldn't be difficult:
https://youtu.be/ILvGf4OlA2U

Last edited by nhedgehog; 10-16-2017 at 01:13 PM.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:28 PM   #44
compurandom
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
If this patch:
patch Allow launching browser without wifi connected
would be adapted to an actual firmware, running kiwix-wikidumps on that firmware shouldn't be difficult:
https://youtu.be/ILvGf4OlA2U
That's very interesting, but I liked the internal wikipedia browser quite a bit and I dislike the internal browser.

It mostly worked, as long as search was available.
The biggest bug is that it didn't handle links properly if they crossed boundaries between segments of a split image. Other minor issues is that it didn't support bookmarks and didn't remember your last reading location.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:05 AM   #45
the_Pan
Connoisseur
the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Forma, Pocketbook Era
Question

I tried to convert an wikipedia dump xml file(18,5 GB) to kobo's dicthml format using penelope, but every time i get an "Memory Error".
It seems 20GB of RAM is a bit poor...
Has someone tips/hints?
the_Pan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guide, kiwix, wikipedia, wikipedia offline, zim