Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #1
exachillus
Banned
exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook
Wallabag, best web page saver, read it later service, free personal instapaper clone

Hey mankind

I have been using this app on my server and I love it. I thought that I should promote it here and let other ebook lovers to enjoy this application too.

I use the server version on my server however they seem to offer a signup service version for those non techies. They also added Epub export.

wallabag (formerly poche) is a self hostable application for saving web pages. Unlike other services, wallabag is free (as in freedom) and open source.

With this application you will not miss content anymore. Click, save, read it when you want. It saves the content you select so that you can read it when you have time

Here are some features. If one is missing, you can open a new issue.

wallabag is free and open source. Forever.
No time to read? Save a link in your wallabag to read it later
Read the saved articles in a comfortable view: the content, only the content
You save all the content: text and pictures
You can easily migrate from others private services.
You like an article? Share it by email, on twitter or in your shaarli
Because we are increasingly mobile, wallabag fits all your devices
Saving a link is so easy because we provide you many tools: extensions for Chrome and Firefox, iOS, Android and Windows Phone application, a bookmarklet, a simple field in your config webpage. You can download third-party applications here.
RSS feeds allows you to read your saved links in your RSS agregator
You can set tags to your entries.
wallabag is multilingual: french, english, spanish, german, italian, russian, persian, czech, polish, ukrainian and slovienian.
You’re not the only one at home to use wallabag? it’s good, wallabag is multi users
You prefer a dark template? Perfect, many templates are available in the configuration screen
Many storage allowed: sqlite, mysql and postgresql
Scroll position is saved: when you return on an article, you come back where you was. So convenient!
You can flattr flattrable articles directly from your wallabag
You want to retrieve your wallabag datas? hey, remember, wallabag is open source, you can export it

https://www.wallabag.org/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	homepage_grid.jpeg
Views:	582
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	124419  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 06-20-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Oversized graphic changed to attachment.
exachillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:07 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
This is pretty nice! Might give their service a spin, I'm not sure my webhost would be happy with me running something like this in the background. Mostly because they don't want you to use their spacing for filesharing type activities where you're not showcasing an actual site.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
exachillus
Banned
exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
This is pretty nice! Might give their service a spin, I'm not sure my webhost would be happy with me running something like this in the background. Mostly because they don't want you to use their spacing for filesharing type activities where you're not showcasing an actual site.
@Jessica

I do not think that this would be problem with your web hosting. They generally have an issue when there is huge traffic going on.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
Thanks for pointing this out I was not aware of it. I'll be installing it and taking it for a spin.
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
tcit
tcit began at the beginning.

Device: none
If you encounter issues, please give us feedback, we don't have much users using wallabag on e-reader, I don't know at all how it displays.
tcit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just tried it on my Paperwhite. It isn't that bad, I just don't see the point since we can use the "Send to Kindle" feature on our devices. The "Courgette" theme works decent on the eink display though. Would be easy enough to adapt for our screens too.

I'll play around with that idea.

But it's nice. I love the tagging feature, and I love the ePub export (for my other devices, not the Kindle, heh).
Old 07-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
exachillus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I just tried it on my Paperwhite. It isn't that bad, I just don't see the point since we can use the "Send to Kindle" feature on our devices. The "Courgette" theme works decent on the eink display though. Would be easy enough to adapt for our screens too.

I'll play around with that idea.

But it's nice. I love the tagging feature, and I love the ePub export (for my other devices, not the Kindle, heh).

Jessica I am glad that you had decent experience with it.

I mainly use it to store the articles that I want to save for later or the ones that I want to archive . Then I turn them into epubs in Wallabag(it exports epub) and read them in my ereader(kobo). This works great. However I did not use my readers browser to browse the Wallabag pages.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
exachillus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcit View Post
If you encounter issues, please give us feedback, we don't have much users using wallabag on e-reader, I don't know at all how it displays.

tcit,

One thing that would be great it to be able to export multiple articles as epubs in one go. At the moment it is kind of cumbersome to do one by one.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard

I'm saving articles via the web app and using the RSS feed with Feedly and reading them with Reeder (see my attachment).

The RSS feed retrieval is kinda slow. Any way I could speed that up?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0082.PNG
Views:	479
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	124998  
Old 07-11-2014, 06:17 AM   #10
tcit

@Jessica Lares : I have in mind to use this service to provide the Send to Kindle Service.
For Kindle Fire (based an Android) we now have our app in their store. Developing an app for reading-only Kindle devices doesn't seems easy.
About the RSS feed being slow, this depends on the server wallabag is installed on. It may be slow because all images are downloaded (even though a bug doesn't make them show right now if you use the official app). Of course, the more you have articles, the more it will be slow to load, so I advise you to use the RSS feeds for categories and tags if you can use them to fit your needs.

We have started again to work on an API for wallabag, and then we will be able to download a batch of articles at a time in the app, it should work better.

@exachillus : It is possible to export as epub more than one article at once :
* from a tag (see at the bottom of a tag page)
* from a category
* from a search
* all of your articles (see in config section)

Thank you for your returns.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #11
exachillus
Banned

tcit

Here is an area that can improve Wallabag usability across different mediums.

it would be nice if the meta data in the epubs are written out correctly. For example when I import them into Calibre they all say wallabag article by wallabag which is not correct. The title of the article should be embedded in the epub properly for example.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #12
tcit

@exachillus : Yup, totally right, fixing this right now. Is there any other metadata fields than the title that should be modified when producing an epub for a single article ? Maybe Author could be filled with the domain name.
We also plan to get more metadata from articles, see https://github.com/wallabag/wallabag/issues/629 for some informations.

@all : I've started to work on the SendToKindle functionality. See https://github.com/wallabag/wallabag/issues/770 At first we only may propose mobi export, I guess this would be a good start.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:13 AM   #13
exachillus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcit View Post
@exachillus : Yup, totally right, fixing this right now. Is there any other metadata fields than the title that should be modified when producing an epub for a single article ? Maybe Author could be filled with the domain name.
We also plan to get more metadata from articles, see https://github.com/wallabag/wallabag/issues/629 for some informations.

@all : I've started to work on the SendToKindle functionality. See https://github.com/wallabag/wallabag/issues/770 At first we only may propose mobi export, I guess this would be a good start.

tcit

thanks for the follow up.

I think that the tags could be used as series or tags. The author could be very helpful. The cover image can be a nice default image with the title embedded.

Also is it possible that locally cached images do not make to epubs? I am missing images in epubs after I started caching them in the wallabag server locally.

thanks
Old 07-21-2014, 12:15 AM   #14
exachillus
Banned

tcit

Ideally also it would be nice if Wallabag has a backend in Koreader Check it out please, it is an opensource reader that has Kindle, Kobo and Android support. They have couple syncing backends.

https://github.com/koreader/koreader

You can run Koreader without an ebook device.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:38 AM   #15
tcit

Quote:
Originally Posted by exachillus View Post
Also is it possible that locally cached images do not make to epubs? I am missing images in epubs after I started caching them in the wallabag server locally.
Seen this, working on it right now.

As for the ideas for cover, I put this some place and will work on it later.

Finally, thanks for the KoReader discovery.