Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2019, 09:42 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
PRS-505 (1.1xxx) update?

I'm looking for the 1.1xxxx firmware updater for a PRS-505. This is the first one I've run into that didn't have that update and the reader can't see ePubs.

(It's a longshot, but I've got to try.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:04 AM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Is this what you are looking for? https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/W0003622
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
That's exactly it! I don't know how many times I went to these Sony support pages for the PRS-505 (in several different countries) and failed to see the download button. Senility, I guess. Thanks!

EDIT: And now I can read ePubs on it! Thank you.

Last edited by rcentros; 12-20-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:15 AM   #4
deedward9
Enthusiast
deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2, Kobo Clara, Nook Glowlight Plus, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I know this thread is 8 months old, but I recently purchased a PRS-505 off of ebay that is on the original firmware. The link that was shared has died. Does anyone have the needed download by any chance?

Thanks so much.
deedward9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:26 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedward9 View Post
I know this thread is 8 months old, but I recently purchased a PRS-505 off of ebay that is on the original firmware. The link that was shared has died. Does anyone have the needed download by any chance?
I ran into this recently also. Fortunately I still have the file on my old laptop (from when I downloaded it from the now defunct link, above). I'll dig it up and make it available somehow (not sure if PM would work with this, but I could probably upload it to Google Drive).

I'll PM you with the details.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:08 PM   #6
deedward9
Enthusiast
deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you so much rcentros for your help. If anyone else needs this I'm going to keep a copy on my cloud drive so that I can share it again in the future.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2020, 06:51 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 505 may cause you problems with eBooks with hi-res images. It's going to be very slow when displaying these images or it will lock, or reboot. So really, it's time to put away the 505 even though you just got it and get something better. The 505's version of ADE is very old. It has no hyphenation and only left justifies. I've had a 505 and there is no way at all that I would use one again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:32 PM   #8
deedward9
Enthusiast

JSWolf. I appreciate the advice. This was a nostalgia purchase. I already have an extensive collection of eInk devices that are much more modern including a Kobo Clara which is very nice and a Boox Nova 2 which I use a lot as a convergence device.

Though the PRS 505 is covered in buttons, I still find the design to be very charming, I just wish that I had found a silver grey one, though this black almost blue one is really nice.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:34 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedward9 View Post
JSWolf. I appreciate the advice. This was a nostalgia purchase. I already have an extensive collection of eInk devices that are much more modern including a Kobo Clara which is very nice and a Boox Nova 2 which I use a lot as a convergence device.

Though the PRS 505 is covered in buttons, I still find the design to be very charming, I just wish that I had found a silver grey one, though this black almost blue one is really nice.
The red one was the best looking 505. The black and silver are just meh at best.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:43 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

"Modern" eReader with front light.

Even here I use Constantia (embedded).

These Kobo lights are incredibly useful and work on a lot of the old, non-lit eReaders.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Kobo-N9...4AAOSw~29b5lkC

EDIT: So far I've had no trouble with covers (but it doesn't mean i won't happen eventually).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	modernscaled2.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	181326   Click image for larger version

Name:	coverscaled.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	901.0 KB
ID:	181327  

Last edited by rcentros; 08-13-2020 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:31 AM   #11
miroku
miroku began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I ran into this recently also. Fortunately I still have the file on my old laptop (from when I downloaded it from the now defunct link, above). I'll dig it up and make it available somehow (not sure if PM would work with this, but I could probably upload it to Google Drive).

I'll PM you with the details.
dear rcentros,

could you please send me the updater for prs 505 ?

1000 Thanks!
miroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:50 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku View Post
could you please send me the updater for prs 505 ?
PM sent. Let me know if you have any issues.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:13 AM   #13
Feartech
Feartech began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
PM sent. Let me know if you have any issues.
hello! do you happen to still have the update you could send to me pease?

many thanks!
Feartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:00 PM   #14
Feartech
Feartech began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
actually, just realised that I am running version 1.2.00.18050 assume this is the latest version?
Feartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:49 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feartech View Post
hello! do you happen to still have the update you could send to me pease?

many thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feartech View Post
actually, just realised that I am running version 1.2.00.18050 assume this is the latest version?
Sorry, I didn't check this forum yesterday. The version I've got is 1.1.00.18040_a, so you appear to have a newer version. I wonder if you have a non-U.S. version? At any rate, if you find you still want (or need) the 1.1.00.1840_a, I can send a link to it via PM.

EDIT: Looks like you used to be able to download your version at this site...

https://prs-505.webcindario.com/descargas.htm

There were even newer versions 1.3.00xxx and 1.4.00xxx, but all these links (except for the firmware I already have) go nowhere.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-26-2020 at 04:36 PM.