Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-29-2020, 12:28 PM   #1
Muttly
Enthusiast
Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.

Device: Aura One
Aura ONE availability

Does anyone know what the current availability of the Aura ONE is?
Muttly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:41 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttly View Post
Does anyone know what the current availability of the Aura ONE is?
kobo.com says:

Quote:
This Kobo eReader is no longer available
So I'd suspect that the current availability it none, outside of refurbished or second hand units.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #3
ndriver
ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo; Kobo AuraHD; Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
kobo.com says:

So I'd suspect that the current availability it none, outside of refurbished or second hand units.

Not entirely correct.

Since the beginning of this year, it became available again in many markets.

You can buy them from Kobo's websites, and nothing is mentioned about being refurbished units. So at the moment it is still available in Europe at least.
ndriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:02 PM   #4
Muttly
Enthusiast
Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
kobo.com says:

That is what I thought.

But when I went to the Kobo site, there it was available for sale. I quickly ordered one, and the order was accepted and acknowledged.

I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a glitch and I would not get an email in a few days telling me it was a mistake.

I'm glad Kobo have come to their senses and decided to re-issue the 'ONE' (if that is what they have, indeed, done).

The ONE is such a beautiful format that I wonder why Amazon have left that niche in the market for Kobo. The Forma is OK but it is sufficiently wider than the ONE that it won't fit into some of the places I carry my ereader. I suspect that the same will apply to quite a few.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:34 PM   #5
karlnapf
Enthusiast
karlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura One
Sorry, on kobo.de it is not available. Where did you see it ?

But I found some on Amazon.de selled as "used as new", that is not bad......

Last edited by karlnapf; 07-29-2020 at 02:19 PM.
karlnapf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #6
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I ordered one from Amazon in Europe a few months ago. There were both new and refurbished options available, though the selection was limited.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:53 PM   #7
ndriver
ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlnapf View Post
Sorry, on kobo.de it is not available. Where did you see it ?
I stand corrected. It is available in some Kobo websites in Europe.

After a non exhaustive, quick look I see that is available for example in Italy,
Spain, Portugal and UK.
But on the other hand it is not available in Germany or Netherlands.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:40 PM   #8
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
It’s not available for the US and I would guess Canada as US orders are shipped from Canada. That’s as new or refurbished.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:56 PM   #9
gilster
Connoisseur
gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Quote:
The ONE is such a beautiful format that I wonder why Amazon have left that niche in the market for Kobo. The Forma is OK but it is sufficiently wider than the ONE that it won't fit into some of the places I carry my ereader. I suspect that the same will apply to quite a few.
I couldn't agree more. The ONE is a beautiful device, and I wish Kobo would keep its form factor out there while also supporting the Forma for those who prefer that particular shape, with buttons, etc.
gilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:46 PM   #10
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilster View Post
I couldn't agree more. The ONE is a beautiful device, and I wish Kobo would keep its form factor out there while also supporting the Forma for those who prefer that particular shape, with buttons, etc.
A new Aura One but more reactive and without the defect of the terrible precision of the touch
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:52 PM   #11
gilster
Connoisseur
gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
A new Aura One but more reactive and without the defect of the terrible precision of the touch
I would buy that in a heartbeat!
gilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:51 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndriver View Post
I stand corrected. It is available in some Kobo websites in Europe.

After a non exhaustive, quick look I see that is available for example in Italy,
Spain, Portugal and UK.
But on the other hand it is not available in Germany or Netherlands.
At a guess, it probably means someone found a box of them somewhere and Kobo are getting rid of them. I'm sure they are not newly manufactured. If anyone gets one, don't expect the battery life to be as "good as new".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:05 AM   #13
Muttly
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
At a guess, it probably means someone found a box of them somewhere and Kobo are getting rid of them.
I thought about that for a moment, but the idea that someone found a box and then split it up and distributed a few each to random territories seems unlikely.

Quote:
I'm sure they are not newly manufactured.
Good that you can be so certain. Do you have insider information?

Quote:
If anyone gets one, don't expect the battery life to be as "good as new".
Despite the scare stories from certain quarters, lithium batteries do not deteriorate drastically in storage.

And the battery life of these things is sufficiently variable that I doubt anyone could be sure of noticing a difference.

It's so long, in fact, that anyone who isn't completely disorganised is never going to have a problem.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:33 AM   #14
ndriver

I also don't think these units are recently manufactured.

I believe they are NOS (new old stock), because usually an electronic gadget without a huge market (e.g. a Kobo ereader) can not be produced in small batches.
With the profit margins these things are being sold, they have to buy the components in large quantities and assemble the devices in big numbers, otherwise they are just loosing money.

That being said, I'm the happy owner of a Aura One, and I wouldn't trade it for a Forma...

Last edited by ndriver; 07-30-2020 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:22 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I thought about that for a moment, but the idea that someone found a box and then split it up and distributed a few each to random territories seems unlikely.
No, it's more likely that they found boxes of them in each of those territories and have decided that they would market them at the same time. Or, it's a complete fluke that they are on the market at the same time.
Quote:
Good that you can be so certain. Do you have insider information?
No. But, I can't image that Kobo has suddenly started manufacturing these again. And, as you put it, "distributed a few each to random territories seems unlikely".

Of course, you seem to certain they are new. Do you have insider information?
Quote:
Despite the scare stories from certain quarters, lithium batteries do not deteriorate drastically in storage.
That completely depends on the storage conditions. If they were in a nice cool place, then they are probably good. If the area was room temperature, they would be showing age. And, the have probably been sitting around long enough that they might have self discharged low enough to trigger the protection circuit to not let them charge.
Quote:
And the battery life of these things is sufficiently variable that I doubt anyone could be sure of noticing a difference.
I disagree. These have been off the market long enough that the battery life is likely to be half of the initial life. That is noticeable.
Quote:
It's so long, in fact, that anyone who isn't completely disorganised is never going to have a problem.
Huh? I'd expect that the completely disorganised are the ones who wouldn't notice. The organised are the ones who would be able to tell you how long the battery lasted.

In any case, it was a warning. If people want a new Aura ONE and can get one of these, they should do so. But, they should also be aware of possible shortcomings.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote