Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-07-2020, 02:47 AM   #31
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I nominate Jane Eyre. Romance always takes two to tango and it fits with Febuary's holiday as well. It's both here and at amazon as well so it's easily accessible.
Mobileread
Amazon U.S.
crich70, Jane Eyre is not actually eligible (until Jan 2023), because it was selected in the MRBC in Sept 2017. See rules here. Expand the "Book Eligibility:" spoiler for details, including a link to a spreadsheet that makes it easy to check.

But I was amused to note that Wikipedia says of Jane Eyre:
Quote:
The novel revolutionised prose fiction by being the first to focus on its protagonist's moral and spiritual development through an intimate first-person narrative, [...]
to which my reaction was: so it's her fault!
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:29 AM   #32
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The poll is up.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:50 AM   #33
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought I'd share a few of the other books I thought about for this theme...

* The Trigger by Arthur C. Clarke and Michael Kube-McDowell - a fascinating story and one of Clarke's better collaborations (IMO, of course). But, alas, no ebook edition that I can find.

* Sorcery & Cecelia by Patricia Collins Wrede, Caroline Stevermer. A neat blend of historical fiction and fantasy, an epistolary novel for YA/teen readers that is also good fun for those of more mature years.

* Never Never by James Patterson and Candice Fox. They are both good writers and I'm looking forward to see what this is like, but they had to go and confuse things - there is one of Patterson's "Bookshots" provided as a prequel to this book, and in both cases Candice Fox is on the cover but not in the copyright. Keh?
Old 01-13-2020, 12:55 PM   #34
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Thanks for the leads gmw. I just looked them up and was pleasantly surprised to see I bought Sorcery & Cecelia in 2014, but never got to it. I’m glad to know it’s worth a read.

(I went through a crazy period of scooping up too many books mentioned on the Mobileread daily deals thread, squirrelling for my upcoming retirement. When I came to my senses, I was left with a ridiculous tbr list that will take me two lifetimes to get through )
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:15 PM   #35
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I enjoyed Sorcery and Cecelia as well. Although not enough to continue the series which all came packaged when I got it. They follow-on books were written more than 15 years after the first one, so I figured the first was a good stand-alone.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:24 PM   #36
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
(I went through a crazy period of scooping up too many books mentioned on the Mobileread daily deals thread, squirrelling for my upcoming retirement. When I came to my senses, I was left with a ridiculous tbr list that will take me two lifetimes to get through )
Oh, yeah. Same here. I suppose I should be happy about it, because now I really can't afford to buy very many books.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:38 PM   #37
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Oh, yeah. Same here. I suppose I should be happy about it, because now I really can't afford to buy very many books.
Same boat. I’m hoping my taste in books doesn’t change too much between now and the inevitable
Old 01-13-2020, 07:05 PM   #38
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Dazrin, I did read the two follow-on books. I did enjoy them ... not as much as the first, perhaps because the novelty had worn off by then, but still worthwhile (to my tastes). I even read Magic Below Stairs by only Caroline Stevermer, set 10 years after the first three, which was okay but targeted at an even younger audience and it showed.

CRussel & Victoria - so what you're recommending is to buy as many books as possible while you can afford them, yes? Very glad to hear that, as last year I purchased four times as many books as I read ... and you're right, it's those daily deals.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #39
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
... and you're right, it's those daily deals.
Nah, they're wrong. It was the multi-use 90% off Kobo coupons that got me.

Years ago now, and so many books still to read! They'll see me out. Not that that has entirely stopped me from buying more.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:38 PM   #40
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
..CRussel & Victoria - so what you're recommending is to buy as many books as possible while you can afford them, yes? Very glad to hear that, as last year I purchased four times as many books as I read ... and you're right, it's those daily deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Nah, they're wrong. It was the multi-use 90% off Kobo coupons that got me.

Years ago now, and so many books still to read! They'll see me out. Not that that has entirely stopped me from buying more.

Gmw it only gets worse, so set up a book fund instead of stockpiling. As issybird says, retirement equals more time to read reviews and covet new books

(.....On the other hand, I did get some great deals! And the prices really have jumped over the last five years....
Old 01-13-2020, 10:20 PM   #41
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Yes, it was those 90% multi-use Kobo coupons.

Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:12 AM   #42
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I nominate a book about perhaps the greatest musical collaborators of the twentieth century: Something Wonderful: Rodgers and Hammerstein's Broadway Revolution by Todd S. Purdum (2018, 400 pp.).
I finally got around to reading Something Wonderful this past weekend; it was a great read. It did a lot to enhance my appreciation for R&H as I’ve been in the camp that said each man was better served by an earlier partnership, Rodgers with Hart and Hammerstein with Kern. But what seems like kitsch due to long familiarity was groundbreaking, and their reputation was not well-served by the film versions of their great musicals and of course that’s how we mostly know them now.

On a personal note, the original production of The Sound of Music was my very first Broadway show as a little girl, although not while Mary Martin was in the cast as I’m not quite that old, and I’ve always thought the show far better than the treacle-fest of the movie. How could they cut “How Can Love Survive?” and “No Way to Stop It”? And there was that ridiculous and tedious puppet show just to get in The Lonely Goatherd which had been displaced from its original position in the show.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:38 AM   #43
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I've always loved those Rogers and Hammerstein musicals. Just this morning some selections from Carousel were on the radio. But your comment about the puppet show brought another and (IMO) more successful cinematic use of puppets to mind. One of my favourite films is Lili with Leslie Caron and Mel Ferrer.

I have always felt that the puppet sequences in that film were so amazingly moving. But then I'm a sentimentalist.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote