Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 05-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
Yack
Yack began at the beginning.

Device: KT/Kobo/iPad/iPhone
Exclamation Google Drive Incompatable with Calibre!

Hello readers!

Here is my configuration:
  • Master PC with Windows XP and Calibre Portable installed into Google Drive folder.
  • Slave PC with Windows Seven and Calibre Portable synchronised with master PC by Google Drive sync agent.

And here is the problem:

Whenever I add a book into Calibre, it creates a new directory into its library, with usual name pattern: "author/title (id)".
A few seconds latter, the same directory is created on the slave PC (this is the normal behaviour of Google Drive sync), but with the name altered: "author/title". The " (id)" suffix is missing...

Needless to say that Calibre can't find any book in the library (the real path doesn't match anymore the stored path).

There is no problem when I manually create a directory with the same pattern, for test purpose.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem?
Yack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You don't have both instances of Calibre open at the same time do you? Don't know if that's causing the problem, but it's generally considered important to have it only open on one PC at a time with a setup like you're doing. I don't have a Google Drive setup, but do have mine setup with Dropbox (home & work PC's) and it works great, no problems with one or the other not seeing all the books.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
Yack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You don't have both instances of Calibre open at the same time do you?
Good point, but I don't.

I know that Dropbox is a widely proven solution, and I also have a Dropbox free account (and a SugarSync, and a Box, and a SkyDrive, and a Hubic too. Sounds pathologic, huh?... ) but I thought about switching to a paid Google Drive account, for it has a good capacity for money, considering that storage is not only for documents, but also for Picasa and Gmail.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
Oletros
Connoisseur
Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle NT
I have the same problem and not only with Windows 7, one of the computers has OS X Lion and it also drops the (id) part.
Oletros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
This sounds like a bug in the Google Drive code.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Yack

What is confusing is that it does not happen if I create the directory by hand, with the same naming convention.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:52 AM   #7
Oletros
Connoisseur
Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yack View Post
What is confusing is that it does not happen if I create the directory by hand, with the same naming convention.
I have tried and it happens even if I create the folder manually
Oletros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #8
Yack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
I have tried and it happens even if I create the folder manually
Even more confusing. Maybe it has to do with the path length?
I will do some more tests...

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. I feel less alone...
Old 05-22-2012, 04:13 AM   #9
samuelsan
samuelsan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Sorry for my English

I have the same problem
This is caused because "drive" used (xx) to rename duplicate files.
Serious incompatibility problem between Calibre and Drive.

regards
samuelsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
Yack

This issue is being investigated by Google team:
https://productforums.google.com/for...ve/XJzVGC868DQ
Old 02-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #11
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: iPad
samuelsan is right, the issue comes from the fact that google drive local client uses that numbering system to handle duplicates
tsolignani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, google drive, issue