Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
cienanos
Junior Member
cienanos began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2017
Device: Boox N96ML
Issue with N96ML digitizer

Hi, I'm having an issue with the digitizer on my N96ML and I wanted to see if it had affected anyone else.

Very often when I start up my reader, I'll find that it is not responsive to the stylus, and what's more, the reader will act as if the stylus is tapping on a point in the lower left corner of the screen. This will usually trigger the "Library" app to open. It's basically making the reader unusable because I can't rely on it to read something when I want to.

I have installed firmware 1.8.1, and it seems like it started after I did this, but not immediately after, so I'm not sure if it's responsible.

Assuming this is a hardware issue, do I have any chance of getting this fixed? I bought it new in the US from a wholesale seller on eBay -- it came with the warranty documentation, but from reading other posts it seems like that might be useless.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue?

Update: wiping data/cache didn't do anything

Last edited by cienanos; 03-20-2017 at 10:08 PM.
cienanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Booxtor's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,041
Karma: 1174608
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Germany
Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by cienanos View Post
Hi, I'm having an issue with the digitizer on my N96ML and I wanted to see if it had affected anyone else.

Very often when I start up my reader, I'll find that it is not responsive to the stylus, and what's more, the reader will act as if the stylus is tapping on a point in the lower left corner of the screen. This will usually trigger the "Library" app to open. It's basically making the reader unusable because I can't rely on it to read something when I want to.

I have installed firmware 1.8.1, and it seems like it started after I did this, but not immediately after, so I'm not sure if it's responsible.

Assuming this is a hardware issue, do I have any chance of getting this fixed? I bought it new in the US from a wholesale seller on eBay -- it came with the warranty documentation, but from reading other posts it seems like that might be useless.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue?

Update: wiping data/cache didn't do anything
Hi, if this problem appears just occasionally, most likely there is a hardware issue (digitizer is malfunctioning) . It hardly can be fixed by software. You can try to re-flash the firmware using MFG tools, though.

You can download the package here: http://ereader-store.de/DATA/N96ML/N...625f3_user.zip

Installation instructions:
1. Start MfgTool2.exe
2. Connect your N96ML to the PC and power off your device (press power button for 8-10 seconds)
3. press Back button and Power button at the same time and keep pressing them until the HID compliant device appears in the MFG program window (ca. 4 seconds). Your device is in download mode now and the screen of the device remains unchanged.

4.Click on Start button in the program and wait for the software has been installed (3-4 minutes)

If afterwards the problem with digitizer still persists just connect Onyx directly. Onyx offers one year of manufacturers warranty and will repair your device for free. They are actually quite responsive in this matter.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:36 AM   #3
cienanos
Junior Member
cienanos began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2017
Device: Boox N96ML
I'm not sure how to contact them, though. The warranty card says to send a message to their post-sales department using a form available on their website, but I can't find that anywhere on the website.

Last edited by cienanos; 03-21-2017 at 08:38 AM.
cienanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Booxtor's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,041
Karma: 1174608
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Germany
Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by cienanos View Post
I'm not sure how to contact them, though. The warranty card says to send a message to their post-sales department using a form available on their website, but I can't find that anywhere on the website.
did you try to re-flash the firmware as I suggested?

There's actually no need to use a special form in order to contact Onyx directly. Just send an email to the sales@onyx-international.com. They will surely response to it.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:23 AM   #5
cienanos
Junior Member
cienanos began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2017
Device: Boox N96ML
I did reflash the firmware -- it briefly seemed like that worked, but the issue quickly came back. Hopefully I'll get some response to my email.
cienanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
eng10110
Member
eng10110 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2017
Device: Onyx Boox MAX
N96ML Digitizer

Hello;

I have both a N96ML and a Max 13.3".

Although I had problems initially with the Max 13.3", after a factory reset and with the new firmware, it's working very very well. Love the new firmware and it's simply a joy to use now.

But the N96ML, particularly the Digitizer has .... issues.

The N96ML is way too sensitive to the digitizer and even hovering (without touching the screen) the digitizer over the screen activates options (that I don't want to activate).

If after opening the required eBook and putting the Digitizer away, I have no problem with the N96ML. But once the Digitizer comes out .....

Writing experience on the N96ML is a far cry from the MAX. The N96ML Digitizer does not really .... digitize well and the overall experience is disappointing. Using the MAX as a reference or benchmark, I think there may be something faulty either with the digitizer or with the N96ML (The MAX works very very well, whether in reading or note taking)

BTW, I bought TWO other N96ML for my brother and sister but those two are now in England and Canada and I have not yet receive feedback from them. Will feedback here as soon as I get any.

Warmest Regards
Steven Sim
eng10110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #7
UncleZeno
Enthusiast
UncleZeno began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 49
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2016
Device: Onyx N96ML
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by cienanos View Post
Hi, I'm having an issue with the digitizer on my N96ML and I wanted to see if it had affected anyone else.

Very often when I start up my reader, I'll find that it is not responsive to the stylus, and what's more, the reader will act as if the stylus is tapping on a point in the lower left corner of the screen. This will usually trigger the "Library" app to open. It's basically making the reader unusable because I can't rely on it to read something when I want to.

I have installed firmware 1.8.1, and it seems like it started after I did this, but not immediately after, so I'm not sure if it's responsible.

Assuming this is a hardware issue, do I have any chance of getting this fixed? I bought it new in the US from a wholesale seller on eBay -- it came with the warranty documentation, but from reading other posts it seems like that might be useless.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue?

Update: wiping data/cache didn't do anything
Hello,

I have exact same issue after upgrading to firmware 1.8.1 but to me the problem is when I try to write on scribble. From time to time I get some lines as I started typing from the down side of the screen... attached is a picture showing the problem I experience putting down some numbers.

The numbers 80, 112 and 128 on the left side had the issue as soon as I started writing them. You can notice the lines going to the end of the screen... very annoying and not sure why this is happening just after the firmware upgrade...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2017-04-08_15-59-02.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	156066  

Last edited by UncleZeno; 04-08-2017 at 10:02 AM.
UncleZeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:55 AM   #8
metsal
Junior Member
metsal began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2016
Device: onyx n96
hi dear unclezero
in this pic that you attached
the boox having this line from first or when you upgrade this line coming?
metsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #9
UncleZeno
Enthusiast
UncleZeno began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 49
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2016
Device: Onyx N96ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by metsal View Post
hi dear unclezero
in this pic that you attached
the boox having this line from first or when you upgrade this line coming?
Hi Metsal,

apparently after the upgrade. Never noticed this behavior before.

Uz
UncleZeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:49 AM   #10
metsal
Junior Member
metsal began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2016
Device: onyx n96
hi dear unclezero
i buy n96ml and update that set
and have a line in center of set
idont know this line coming from first day or after update that
metsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:03 PM   #11
cienanos
Junior Member
cienanos began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2017
Device: Boox N96ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleZeno View Post
Hello,

I have exact same issue after upgrading to firmware 1.8.1 but to me the problem is when I try to write on scribble. From time to time I get some lines as I started typing from the down side of the screen... attached is a picture showing the problem I experience putting down some numbers.

The numbers 80, 112 and 128 on the left side had the issue as soon as I started writing them. You can notice the lines going to the end of the screen... very annoying and not sure why this is happening just after the firmware upgrade...
I had this same issue before my tablet became unusable. I had the issue once after reflashing the firmware as described above, but since then I haven't had any issues. Hopefully it stays that way? Anyways, if it starts to cause a huge problem I would suggest trying that.
cienanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:43 PM   #12
dbz2020
Junior Member
dbz2020 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2016
Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cienanos View Post
I had this same issue before my tablet became unusable. I had the issue once after reflashing the firmware as described above, but since then I haven't had any issues. Hopefully it stays that way? Anyways, if it starts to cause a huge problem I would suggest trying that.
I've had both these issues as well. I say both, because I think I see two distinct problems:

1) The pen being "off" or not aligned seems to occur for me on cold startup of my N96ML and seems to go away once the tablet settles down (i.e. when the sd card becomes fully recognized, the wifi connects, etc.). After a little while, the pen acts normally for me, so I've just learned to not use the pen in the first few minutes after a cold start. There is also a calibration app for the pen in the settings app, I think there must be a calibration file that is corrupted or not fully read-in on start-up that may be to blame.

2) The scribble app making those lines, etc. has happened to me as well. For this problem it seems like the only way to clear it is to fully close and restart the app. This to me seems to be a problem with the app itself. With the new firmware there is also an app to update some of the built-in software, I'd suggest making sure that the apps are at the latest, as I have definitely seen bugs come and go each time a new version of the built-in apps gets updated.
dbz2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #13
UncleZeno
Enthusiast
UncleZeno began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 49
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2016
Device: Onyx N96ML
After the upgrade to version 1.8.2 the issue disapperaed!

And it looks like everything is much smoother when taking notes. Absolutely happy about how firmware upgrades make the difference on this device.
UncleZeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:44 AM   #14
stjoe
Connoisseur
stjoe began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 51
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: Kindle DXG, Pocket eDGe, Kindle Paperwhite, Sony, Onyx N96
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleZeno View Post
After the upgrade to version 1.8.2 the issue disapperaed!

And it looks like everything is much smoother when taking notes. Absolutely happy about how firmware upgrades make the difference on this device.

Hi Uncle Zeno, can I check if after upgrade to 1.82 you have android version 4.4 or still 4.04?
stjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:05 PM   #15
UncleZeno
Enthusiast
UncleZeno began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 49
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2016
Device: Onyx N96ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoe View Post
Hi Uncle Zeno, can I check if after upgrade to 1.82 you have android version 4.4 or still 4.04?
It's still 4.0.4.
UncleZeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
T68 Replacement Touch panel/digitizer priyamjani Onyx Boox 5 10-10-2016 02:58 PM
NC LCD+digitizer repair - help? AlienBZ Nook Color & Nook Tablet 3 08-30-2013 11:36 PM
Notizfunktion, Digitizer Specs PB903 Writer PocketBook 9 12-28-2010 08:19 AM
Digitizer half-dead on ebayed Iliad :( kosmarnik iRex 11 05-02-2009 02:48 AM
Digitizer keeps going off talaivan iRex 2 02-29-2008 07:00 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:31 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.