Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-01-2017, 11:03 PM   #2416
lllusion
Enthusiast
lllusion began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Can someone help me out with reinstalling to fix a problem? I had it working fine, added some more screensavers, then it stopped loading them suddenly. Even when I took those new ones back off.

So I reinstalled, tried again, same result -- didn't recognize some new ones that I added.

Tried reinstalling again, but this time it said:

"Progress: 36/100 Package script failed (1), moving on . . . : ("

Any ideas on what to do next? I've been putting the "Update_linkss_0.24.N_uninstall" into mrpackages to uninstall, then running that. I also deleted linkss out of the extensions.
lllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2017, 09:06 AM   #2417
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA, KOA2
What parts of the troubleshooting directions have you used?
With what result(s)?

What is different about the images that work and the ones that do not?
Have you looked for differences?
With what tools?

At what point(s) in the time period covered by your story did the device update its firmware?

Are you using the ss add-in from NiluJe's snapshot thread?
Do you have the python add-in installed also?

How are you controlling this add-in?
Are you using the KUAL menu additions?
With what results in each case?

Are you using the entries presented in the ss-KUAL menu additions for correcting the images?
With what results?

What change(s) have you made to the configuration files?

= = = = =

Sorry about all of that, but I can't see over your shoulder and my crystal ball is off-line so I can't channel into your mind.

Last edited by knc1; 03-02-2017 at 09:11 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:09 PM   #2418
lllusion
Enthusiast
lllusion began at the beginning.

Hi knc1. First I want to thank you for taking the time to help me with some excellent diagnostic questions. Fortunately I solved it last night.

I am very very new to this stuff with only basic html knowledge as far as computer skills go. I had a kindle long ago, but ordered the PaperWhite 3 and got it in the mail 2 days ago. Didn't like how I couldn't have my custom backgrounds, so I did this.

Aaaanyway, I fixed it. I have no idea how it worked but after trying 3 times, the 3rd time was a charm after I completely deleted everything and then also did a reboot on the Kindle. Lesson learned is always flag for uninstall before uninstalling - it removes everything and decreases the chances of script 36/37 failing to install when you go to reinstall.

The png files I originally had trouble with are the exact same dimensions as the ones that worked (all to spec with recommendation in original post - 1072x1448 for PW3), and were made in the exact same way in GIMP. I tried putting them back in and.... they worked. I was at 50 screensavers then added 50 more the first time, then something went wrong. This time I kept the original screensaver that is pre-installed, and slowly added them up to 99.

Last edited by lllusion; 03-02-2017 at 12:12 PM.
lllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:57 AM   #2419
crazyV
crazyV began at the beginning.

Post sorry for the late reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
But the system is not the same.
It uses software to display the images and you made a major leap from 5.4.x to 5.8.x firmware.

Use the 'fix images' feature of the SS add-in, don't think that just because old firmware could read the images that all firmware will always be able to read the images.
That 'fix images' feature was added for a reason, use it.
please tell me, where can i find this SS add-in -> "fix images",
* checked all the options within the kindle menu
* checked all the content on the kindle storage, no script or anything else called like this.

really appreciate any help
crazyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #2420
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyV View Post
please tell me, where can i find this SS add-in -> "fix images",
* checked all the options within the kindle menu
* checked all the content on the kindle storage, no script or anything else called like this.

really appreciate any help
Check if you are using the ss add-in from NiLuJe's snapshot thread.
Make sure you have Python installed, also from the snapshot thread.

I do not use this, so will have to make time to look.
Come back here next month.

Last edited by knc1; 03-04-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:00 PM   #2421
Mr. B
Mr. B knows the way to San Jose.Mr. B knows the way to San Jose.Mr. B knows the way to San Jose.Mr. B knows the way to San Jose.Mr. B knows the way to San Jose.Mr. B knows the way to San Jose.Mr. B knows the way to San Jose.Mr. B knows the way to San Jose.Mr. B knows the way to San Jose.Mr. B knows the way to San Jose.Mr. B knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kindle Voyage 3G
I might need someone to draw me a picture because I'm having similar troubles that have been described here (hack stopped working) and I can't even uninstall the hack. I copied Update_linkss_0.24.N_uninstall.bin to the root directory but "Update Your Kindle" remains grayed out. I've also tried to uninstall python the same way without success. What am I doing wrong?

[edit] I tried simply reinstalling with mrinstaller and custom screensavers are working again.

Last edited by Mr. B; 03-04-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #2422
knc1
Analog Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
I might need someone to draw me a picture because I'm having similar troubles that have been described here (hack stopped working) and I can't even uninstall the hack. I copied Update_linkss_0.24.N_uninstall.bin to the root directory but "Update Your Kindle" remains grayed out. I've also tried to uninstall python the same way without success. What am I doing wrong?
You are trying to use the procedure for installing Amazon packages rather than using the procedure for installing Mobileread packages.

Re-read Step #8 spoiler of the current jailbreak for hints.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #2423
thekha
thekha began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3 2015
I lost the hack after upgrade to 5.8.7.0.1 but still available in kual menu
How can I get the hack back
TIA
thekha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #2424
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PaperWhite 2
You have to reinstall everything but the jailbreak. That survives, but the hacks don't. Just re-install them and you're good to go
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #2425
thekha
thekha began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3 2015
Thank you
thekha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #2426
dpsjunior
dpsjunior began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I got the message "the ScreenSavers Hack is currently in 'cover' mode, but hasn't yet successfuly processed a book cover. I'm able to put my own ScreenSavers and also use last mode, but there is no way to show the cover of the book that I'm reading. What am I doing wrong? I have a Kindle Voyage 5.8.8
dpsjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:27 PM   #2427
dhdurgee
Addict
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsjunior View Post
I got the message "the ScreenSavers Hack is currently in 'cover' mode, but hasn't yet successfuly processed a book cover. I'm able to put my own ScreenSavers and also use last mode, but there is no way to show the cover of the book that I'm reading. What am I doing wrong? I have a Kindle Voyage 5.8.8
Do you have python installed? It is required for cover mode to work. Do you have the latest versions of the hacks installed? If not, update them. Are the ebooks KFX or AZW3 format? There were problems at one point with the KFX books that were fixed in a later version. There is a menu entry in KUAL to fix images, perhaps you need to run it?

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:57 PM   #2428
dpsjunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Do you have python installed? It is required for cover mode to work. Do you have the latest versions of the hacks installed? If not, update them. Are the ebooks KFX or AZW3 format? There were problems at one point with the KFX books that were fixed in a later version. There is a menu entry in KUAL to fix images, perhaps you need to run it?

Dave
I installed Python but I'm not sure whether or not its on Kindle after upgrading to fw 5.8.8. I tried to reinstall but the option Upadate your Kindle is not enable. I put Phyton in the mrpackages folder and install it with Kual. Still didn't work...
All the books come from Amazon

Maybe its a problem with fw 5.8.8, not sure...

Tried again, its working but for some reason it shows the wrong cover. Need to have some time to figure out what's going on. Thanks for your help

Last edited by dpsjunior; 03-20-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:03 AM   #2429
knc1
Analog Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsjunior View Post
I installed Python but I'm not sure whether or not its on Kindle after upgrading to fw 5.8.8. I tried to reinstall but the option Upadate your Kindle is not enable. I put Phyton in the mrpackages folder and install it with Kual. Still didn't work...
All the books come from Amazon

Maybe its a problem with fw 5.8.8, not sure...

Tried again, its working but for some reason it shows the wrong cover. Need to have some time to figure out what's going on. Thanks for your help
You MUST re-install all packages with an: update_*.bin format package name!

You MUST use MrPI to install all Mobileread packages!
You are attempting to use the procedure of installing Amazon update packages.

Also re-install any other add-in that that seems to be broke (it probably is).

Once you have done all of that -
Then read the "Troubleshooting" section of the first post, tell us each of those things you have done and the result of each.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #2430
dpsjunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You MUST re-install all packages with an: update_*.bin format package name!

You MUST use MrPI to install all Mobileread packages!
You are attempting to use the procedure of installing Amazon update packages.

Also re-install any other add-in that that seems to be broke (it probably is).

Once you have done all of that -
Then read the "Troubleshooting" section of the first post, tell us each of those things you have done and the result of each.
I follow the Mobileread instructions using MRPI to Install the .bin files. I reinstall the Phython but I had to put it into the mrpackages and then use MRPI on Kual Launcher. It's working now, even tough sometimes it shows the wrong book cover.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch