Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-25-2021, 03:55 PM   #1141
anishmittal
anishmittal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 (2021)
KFX conversion failed: CLI return code 00000005

Hello!

I am trying to convert an Epub to KFX using the Plugin KFX output (1.57.0) with Calibre in Ubuntu 20.4, with KindlePreviewerInstaller.exe (3.59.1) installed using wine-6.0.2.

I am getting the follwoing error:

calibre, version 5.31.1
ERROR: KFX conversion failed:Cannot convert Permanent Record
Conversion error: Process Failure: CLI return code 00000005

Any suggestion, what can I do about this error?

Last edited by anishmittal; 11-25-2021 at 03:58 PM.
anishmittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:47 PM   #1142
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by anishmittal View Post

It appears that there is a problem getting the Kindle Previewer to run under Wine on your system. I am sorry but I do not know how to fix that.

One possible solution is to run Windows in a virtual machine.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2021, 10:36 AM   #1143
mustafanoah
mustafanoah began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
a problem during conversion

hello,
i am using calibre on linux , when i try to convert an e-book from any format to "kfx" format, i keep getting an error during conversion
this is the error:

calibre, version 5.11.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: Exception('Wine registry file /home/mhnoah/.wine/user.reg not found. Ensure that Wine is correctly installed.')

i installed wine and i keep getting the error

what should i do ??

Last edited by mustafanoah; 11-27-2021 at 10:39 AM.
mustafanoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:01 AM   #1144
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 1.58.0 - 27 Nov 2021

Detect Kindle Previewer versions up to 3.60.0. Version 3.60.0 adds support for additional list-style-type values.

Fix conversion to retain the creation date and multiple author names if present in the source EPUB. (Only the first author name will be shown on Kindle devices for books in KFX format.)

Fix embedding of metadata to maintain the order of author names when a book has multiple authors.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:04 AM   #1145
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustafanoah View Post
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: Exception('Wine registry file /home/mhnoah/.wine/user.reg not found. Ensure that Wine is correctly installed.')
From the error message it appears that you have not installed Wine correctly on your system. I am not a Linux user and do not have any suggestions on how to fix that.
Advert
Old 11-28-2021, 05:15 AM   #1146
mwaschbu
mwaschbu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustafanoah View Post
Did you already run Wine to install the Kindle Previewer?
That file should be there for every Wine installation. Does it exist and can you access its content?
Did you install Calibre via Snap, Flatpak, AppImage or something similar? That will not work. It must be installed directly in your system and not in a container.
mwaschbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:35 AM   #1147
anishmittal

Quote:
Hello!

I am trying to convert an Epub to KFX using the Plugin KFX output (1.57.0) with Calibre in Ubuntu 20.4, with KindlePreviewerInstaller.exe (3.59.1) installed using wine-6.0.2.

I am getting the follwoing error:

calibre, version 5.31.1
ERROR: KFX conversion failed:Cannot convert Permanent Record

@mwaschbu Can you please comment on this?

I again reinstalled wine and Kindle previever, but I am stuck with the same error.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #1148
anishmittal

@mwaschbu @jhowell

I successfully installed and converted epub using
- Plugin KFX output (1.57.0) with Calibre in Ubuntu 20.4, with KindlePreviewerInstaller.exe (3.59.1) installed using wine-6.0.2.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:39 PM   #1149
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@mwaschbu @jhowell

I successfully installed and converted epub using
- Plugin KFX output (1.57.0) with Calibre in Ubuntu 20.4, with KindlePreviewerInstaller.exe (3.59.1) installed using wine-6.0.2.
I’m glad to hear it. Feel free to share any tips you may have on getting it installed and working.
Old 12-12-2021, 04:20 AM   #1150
eyalmazuz
eyalmazuz began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I’m glad to hear it. Feel free to share any tips you may have on getting it installed and working.
I had a similar problem with wine 6.22 and 6.23 but it seems to be fixed with wine 7.0-rc1
I used KFX output 1.58 and kindle previewer 3.60 on Ubuntu 20.04
eyalmazuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 05:47 AM   #1151
unkn0wn
Evangelist
unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.

rescaling images

When converting an epub to kfx format, it normally reconverts the epub to epub like you said, before converting to kfx.

but during this process it re-scales all images to a lower resolution. (although not by much)

Can we change it, to not to re-scale images at all, so that all images remain in their original resolution?
unkn0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:15 AM   #1152
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkn0wn View Post
Can we change it, to not to re-scale images at all, so that all images remain in their original resolution?
The scaling of images is controlled by the Output Profile selected in the Page Setup tab of the conversion dialog. Choosing Tablet will disable the scaling of images.

(This is a feature of calibre, not specific to KFX conversion.)

Last edited by jhowell; 12-27-2021 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:07 AM   #1153
unkn0wn
Evangelist
unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.

Ooh

Thanks.. my profile was set to kindle oasis, that maybe why.

I saw that it was re-scaling images of lower resolutions too, and so i thought it might be related.
unkn0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 10:20 AM   #1154
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkn0wn View Post
I saw that it was re-scaling images of lower resolutions too, and so i thought it might be related.
Cover images may be regenerated by the KFX Output plugin for compatibility with the Kindle's cover lock screen feature, but that should not change their dimensions.

The part of KFX conversion performed by the Kindle Previewer checks images for Kindle compatibility. I haven't seen that reduce resolution except for extremely large images.

If there is anything else going on with image scaling I am unaware of it.
Old 12-30-2021, 08:23 PM   #1155
Babyblasphemy
Babyblasphemy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Android App
Not sure if others have seen this, but I could not get the Kindle App on Android to see KFX files unless I placed them in Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files instead of Books, Documents, or any other folder the app had access to.
Babyblasphemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfx, linux, wine