Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
miwo76
miwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Glo HD - SD Image available yet?

About to get my Kobo Glo HD this week.

Just in case I mess up during the SD imaging process - does anyone have a Glo HD SD Image available?
Old 05-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Im a bit confused. Surely if you are reimaging this means you are oepnning the device and replacing the sd card... So out the old SD card in a safe place and no need to download an image.
Advert
Old 05-04-2015, 11:11 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by miwo76 View Post
About to get my Kobo Glo HD this week.

Just in case I mess up during the SD imaging process - does anyone have a Glo HD SD Image available?
Hmmm... the first step in moving to a larger internal uSD card is to create an image of the original card unless you have a computer with two SD card slots. My choice is to write protect the adapter I use to stuff the uSD card into my laptop's SD card slot when I am creating the image and saving a copy of the image to a thumb drive before I move on to the step of imaging the new uSD card. That way you still have the original uSD card in case things don't work out and the image for later attempts.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:50 AM   #4
miwo76
miwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Perfect! A nice, simple process! I do have a card read with multiple slots - this simple lock of the card would help me avoid doing something as silly as overwriting the original card!
Old 05-05-2015, 10:57 PM   #5
flip1314
flip1314 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD & Kobo Aura
I picked up a Glo HD today and the switch over to a 32 GB card was painless. I recommend using your fingernails to pry off the back as anything else might do damage.
Advert
Old 05-06-2015, 05:42 AM   #6
entroxrr
entroxrr began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Glo HD
my kobo glo hd is bricked. anybody kind enough to share me a image file for the 4gb that came with the unit?
Old 05-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by entroxrr View Post
my kobo glo hd is bricked.
How did you brick it? If you did not take the card out or mess with dd in the root shell, the double tap reset might work for you as well.

make sure the device is turned off (by holding power button long enough).

then press and hold the power button. power LED should turn on.

at the same time while still holding the power button, repeatedly tap the bottom corners of the screen. device should go into firmware reset.

At least that's how it works for the H2O and other Kobo devices. Don't have a Glo HD to test with
Old 05-06-2015, 08:29 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
How did you brick it? If you did not take the card out or mess with dd in the root shell, the double tap reset might work for you as well.

make sure the device is turned off (by holding power button long enough).

then press and hold the power button. power LED should turn on.

at the same time while still holding the power button, repeatedly tap the bottom corners of the screen. device should go into firmware reset.

At least that's how it works for the H2O and other Kobo devices. Don't have a Glo HD to test with
That's how it works for the Glo HD. I tested it to make sure earlier in the week.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:10 AM   #9
entroxrr
entroxrr began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Glo HD
fresh out of the box, during set up, after connecting to wifi, updated was required. the screen shows downloading update and it got stuck there forever. tried the pin hole reset too.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:30 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
entroxrr: Try a factory reset. For the Glo HD, this is done by:

- Make sure the device is charged by plugging it in for at least an hour.
- Ensuring the device is off by holding the power button down for at least 20 seconds.
- Turn the device on but hold the button down.
- Tap both the bottom corners of the screen.
- When the restoring message is displayed, let the power button go.

When I tested this, it took me a couple of tries to get the timing right.

If it doesn't restore, take it back as faulty and exchange it.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:16 PM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I'm new to Kobo devices and I'm working out the best and safe way to apply modifications to 3.15 on the Glo HD.

As I understand it from this thread, before trying to install modifications, I should open the device and copy the internal SD-card (using the correct procedure of course) before I do anything. Is that the safest approach?

That way, if things go bad, I can re-insert the original card and image. Correct?
Old 05-07-2015, 05:20 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I'm new to Kobo devices and I'm working out the best and safe way to apply modifications to 3.15 on the Glo HD.

As I understand it from this thread, before trying to install modifications, I should open the device and copy the internal SD-card (using the correct procedure of course) before I do anything. Is that the safest approach?

That way, if things go bad, I can re-insert the original card and image. Correct?
What kind of modifications? If you just want to patch the device, then, no. If you are going to try to run android, then maybe. I can't think of any other reason. Unless the mod you are talking about is using a larger SD card.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:34 PM   #13
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
In theory, yes. In practice, opening the device might void your warranty, not to mention the risk of damaging the hardware somehow.

For firmware modifications such as you find here on these forums, all you have to do is always have a backup of your files. Under normal circumstances even if things go completely south, the factory reset method described above should still work. (It stops working when you start messing with bootloaders, kernels and partitions.)

I probably wouldn't have cut a hole into the back of my H2O for easy SD card access, had I known of this method before
Old 05-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by miwo76 View Post
Perfect! A nice, simple process! I do have a card read with multiple slots - this simple lock of the card would help me avoid doing something as silly as overwriting the original card!
Nothing like learning from someone else's mistakes. Of course, you can then go on to make even bigger and better mistakes of your own.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #15
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I've already installed the patch for 3.15. But I want to install Coolreader and / or Koreader, and some kind of filemanager, presumably via the Kobo Start Menu (whatever that is. I'm new to Kobo...) I'm running 3.15 on the Glo HD, so I'm concerned that without precedents I could brick the device.

So it's preferable to back-up the card rather then remove and duplicate it? Will that (almost) guarantee that I can recover if things go bad? And can someone point me to the process? Thanks. Learning here
Closed Thread