Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-28-2021, 07:26 PM   #1426
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kobo Claras, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4, iPad 6 & iPhoneXS
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I think you may be over-complicating things. I don't know if a clean install of Calibre 4 is necessary. Whatever the case may be, get Calibre 4 working. Once Calibre 4 is working, upgrade to 5 on top of 4. Any "restoring" you do after you get Calibre 4 working could undo everything.
The clean install was the only way it worked. It was worth a shot to put 4 over 5, but putting 4 over 5 and downgrading DeDRM while using 5's db files didn't produce the keyfiles to let DeDRM work. Only when I destroyed all traces of the previous installation did I get DeDRM to work, and continue to work once I upgraded the plugins and Calibre app back to 7.2.1 and 5.x. (I tried restoring databases and pref files from the previous install of 5.x to preserve my years of tweaking, but it was all for naught.) It was more effort and time than I would have preferred, but I'm up and running. Thanks for the help.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:15 PM   #1427
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
... upgrade to 5 on top of 4 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
... It was worth a shot to put 4 over 5 ...
You are not understanding me.

In any case, glad you got it all working in the end.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:22 PM   #1428
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Yes, I saw that a while ago! It was very helpful. I had Calibre 5 working with Alf's latest DeDRM and Kindle 1.31.0 until November 1st when I wiped my drive and did a clean install because of a hard drive issue. Obvi, I didn't transfer over the key when I transferred pref and support files. I'm thinking of doing a clean install of Calibre 4, DeDRM 6, and Kindle 1.31.0 as is, get it all working, archive it, then upgrade and restore carefully after making an archive of the working rig. Thanks.
If you want Calibre to recognize your Kobo Elipsa, forget Calibre 4 and install the latest Calibre 5. Also, you want to install DeDRM 10.0.1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:44 AM   #1429
apprenticeharper
Apprentices Against DRM
apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Laptop
I am delighted that after several years of maintaining the DeDRM tools, someone else has come along to take over the task. I shall be using noDRM's version of the DeDRM plugin myself from now on.

Harper.
apprenticeharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:40 AM   #1430
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by apprenticeharper View Post
I am delighted that after several years of maintaining the DeDRM tools, someone else has come along to take over the task. I shall be using noDRM's version of the DeDRM plugin myself from now on.

Harper.
Thank you for your time and effort in keeping the tools going after Apprentice Alf moved on.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:03 AM   #1431
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kobo Claras, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4, iPad 6 & iPhoneXS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you want Calibre to recognize your Kobo Elipsa, forget Calibre 4 and install the latest Calibre 5. Also, you want to install DeDRM 10.0.1.
I haven't had issues with Calibre not recognizing my Kobo Elipsa (My Elipsa troubles were due to a Kobo glitch with CBZ files). I can connect just fine with my Elipsa, and transfer books without issue. The problem was the bug where new installs of Calibre and Alf's DeDRM 7.2.1 on 64bit Macs were not copying over the DRM keys, so the imported books weren't being stripped of their DRM. This was only something I ran into this month since doing a clean install on my iMac.

I have since jumped through some hoops and got Calibre 5, DeDRM 7.2.1, and Kindle 1.31.0 all working happily together. However, in light of @apprenticeharpers comments, I'll switch over to noDRM as soon as the new dev adds the Mac patch that he's working on.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:35 PM   #1432
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

noDRM has released version 10.0.2 of the DeDRM tools.

Quote:
  • Fix Kindle for Mac key retrieval (merged apprenticeharper/DeDRM_tools#1936 ), fixing #1.
  • Fix Adobe key retrieval in case the username has been changed (merged apprenticeharper/DeDRM_tools#1946 ). This should fix the error "failed to decrypt user key key".
  • Fix small issue with elibri watermark removal
  • Adobe key name will now contain account email
Old 11-29-2021, 02:25 PM   #1433
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
Quote:
Apprentice Harper for your years of time and effort maintaining and improving the tools ❤️
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:27 PM   #1434
jhowell
Wizard

Apprentice Alf has announced that he has closed comments on his Blog.

At this point it might make sense to change the first post to link primarily to noDRM's GitHub for downloads and assistance.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:37 PM   #1435
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Apprentice Alf has announced that he has closed comments on his Blog.

At this point it might make sense to change the first post to link primarily to noDRM's GitHub for downloads and assistance.
So it looks like we have seen the last DeDRM release. I guess I will have to change at some point then.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:58 PM   #1436
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
The baton has well and truly been handed on

The king is dead, long live the king ...
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:58 PM   #1437
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
First post updated.

Note that noDRM is releasing DeDRM. It's just a version maintained by noDRM instead of the Apprentices.

I've switched over to the noDRM release now.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:28 PM   #1438
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
First post updated.

Note that noDRM is releasing DeDRM. It's just a version maintained by noDRM instead of the Apprentices.

I've switched over to the noDRM release now.
Thanks for the clarification I inadvertently added an extra layer of confusion.

I feel like I need to find some way to thank Apprentice Alf for all his work. Or was Apprentice Harper involved all along? (Don't know the history.)
Old 11-30-2021, 03:53 AM   #1439
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Thanks for the clarification I inadvertently added an extra layer of confusion.

I feel like I need to find some way to thank Apprentice Alf for all his work. Or was Apprentice Harper involved all along? (Don't know the history.)
As I recall, the first was "The Dark Reverser" who release a python script for removing DRM from Mobipocket ebooks. Then there was I♥CABBAGES who released DRM removal for Adobe ebooks.

And then there were many others who improved the tools, including decrypting and decoding Amazon's Topaz and decrypting KFX files.

And the people who worked on decrypting Kobo books from the Kobo app.

IIRC, Apprentice Alf set up a blog with explanations and links to places to download the latest version (which was usually whatever fileshare site was still working!)

And Apprentice Harper set up a gihub account with all the versions back to The Dark Reverser's mobipocket script in the history, giving a stable place to find the latest version.

So noDRM is just the latest in a long line of wonderful people who've allowed me to spend a lot of money on ebooks, as I decided way back sometime in the early 2000s to never buy an ebook with DRM I couldn't remove.

I thank them all, and hope that someone will always step up to continue the work.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:06 AM   #1440
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Thank you for all your work.