Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
danioro
danioro began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Sony Sucks!!!!

I've had it with Sony. I bought an ereader trusting Sony to eventually look after their customers. Books are consistently more expensive; viz. new Lincoln Child just published $9.99 for Kindle, $11.99 from Sony! This is the usual state of affairs for popular books.

Sony is obviously only interested in profits and not in developing a loyal and happy customer base.

I am stuck with an expensive device, but anyone reading this looking for advice, buy a Kindle.
danioro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by danioro View Post
I've had it with Sony. I bought an ereader trusting Sony to eventually look after their customers. Books are consistently more expensive; viz. new Lincoln Child just published $9.99 for Kindle, $11.99 from Sony! This is the usual state of affairs for popular books.

Sony is obviously only interested in profits and not in developing a loyal and happy customer base.

I am stuck with an expensive device, but anyone reading this looking for advice, buy a Kindle.
While understanding your reluctance to pay $2 more for the same book, I gotta ask.

Did you research book prices before you bought the Sony?

Do you enjoy the reading experience on the Sony?

Is there any other complaint about the Sony beside the added $2?

Have you tried downloading library books to your Sony? This is a great way to read 'for free' until the loan period is over.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
A-men. I'll never buy another Sony product.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
A-men. I'll never buy another Sony product.
Again. Give us a logical reason.

Is the product bad? How?

Is support missing?

There are lots of 'newbies' on this board looking for recommendations.

Bashing the Sony without giving concrete reasons is not productive.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
Marysart
Member Retired
Marysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I concur. This isn't helpful to me. I'm one of the newbies trying to make a descision.
Marysart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
TheDarkTrumpet
TheDarkTrumpet began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I point out a number of flaws in my help document that is right below this one I'm definitely not saying sony sucks, there are a few problems it has though... my post points out a few.
TheDarkTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkTrumpet View Post
I point out a number of flaws in my help document that is right below this one I'm definitely not saying sony sucks, there are a few problems it has though... my post points out a few.
A linky to your post would be helpful.

By the time people see this one, its long gone.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Sony doesn't set the prices, the publishers do. Amazon actually takes a cut on the 9.99 bestsellers. Not to mention that Amazon has more clout with publishers than Sony.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The new Lincoln Child novel Terminal Freeze is available at BooksOnBoard for $11.89 in ePub and $19.95 is MS Reader and Mobipocket. http://booksonboard.com/index.php?BO...60365&v=buynow

Fictionwise only has it in Mobipocket for a CLUB price of $14.85. http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook82438.htm?cache

CyberRead is $24.95 in Mobipocket. http://www.cyberread.com/Terminal-Fr...d/?info/84479/

Diesel eBooks has has it for $20.68. http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin...eze-eBook.html

Given the prices of Terminal Freeze from all these OTHER eBook shops, why would Sony suck? Sony has it for the second lowest price available other then in ePub from BooksOnBoard.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
At least Sony's trying. They used to be much more expensive than $11.99 for the bestsellers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
stevejay
Enthusiast
stevejay doesn't litterstevejay doesn't litterstevejay doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500 prs
My Sony PRS does the job. One of the things most likely to fail is the component which comes in contact with the buttons.
stevejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I'll agree that the Sony bookstore sucks. But I didn't buy my PRS-505 so I could shop at their bookstore; I bought it so I could get books from Feedbooks & Manybooks (and was happy to add Mobileread to that list), and freebie ebooks, and Baen ebooks, and some Fictionwise ebooks, and fanfic run through one of the various converters, and subscribe to blogs (which I still haven't done; haven't run out of freebies and fanfic yet).

If you were expecting to mostly buy books from Sony's store... yeah, it sucks. Some people are going to feel cheated about that; it's nowhere near as extensive, nor as cheap, nor as well-programmed, as Amazon's ebook-buying options.

But the Reader does what I want it to do--allows me to read ebooks away from my computer. Since a substantial portion of what I read is web-based content that has never and will never see print (fanfic, blogs), I needed something that was easy to convert to, not easy to download to. Between Calibre, Lib2Go, and the Reader's PDF capabilities, I'm very happy with it.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
TheDarkTrumpet
TheDarkTrumpet began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
A linky to your post would be helpful.

By the time people see this one, its long gone.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40141

Opinions would be helpful too on what I posted
TheDarkTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
danioro

Quote:
While understanding your reluctance to pay $2 more for the same book, I gotta ask.

Did you research book prices before you bought the Sony?

Do you enjoy the reading experience on the Sony?

Is there any other complaint about the Sony beside the added $2?

Have you tried downloading library books to your Sony? This is a great way to read 'for free' until the loan period is over.
I bought the reader because I thought it was the best device at the time. I assumed that higher book prices were the funcction of market penetrance, but they have remained high.

I have to say that the reading experience is good, screen is quite readable, although the menu system is a little less than intuitive.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:08 AM   #15
danioro

Quote:
Again. Give us a logical reason.

Is the product bad? How?

Is support missing?

There are lots of 'newbies' on this board looking for recommendations.

Bashing the Sony without giving concrete reasons is not productive.
this is a concrete reason. once you have the device, the books are 20% more expensive. The product itself is OK.
Newbies need to know that Sony charges more for books than the major competition.