Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Redesign of the Amazon cover solves the cracked screen issue?

Dear All,

Just received my DXG - and the leather case, which is the old model! I'm furious, I will be returning it in 2 seconds, but I'm wondering if the new redesign adds some sort of safety feature. The customer reviews seem to suggest not, but I'm not sure if they refer to the old model.

Thanks!
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
The older Amazon cover is only available through Warehouse deals, so there should be no surprise if that is what you ordered. The newer Amazon cover is indeed plainly listed on the website and available. (I know, I bought one).

The covers do not cause a cracked screen - the user does that. If you are referring to some posts regarding cracking the body, I have three Amazon covers and have never experienced any problem. Open the cover properly (via the front cover, not the back) and there is no problem.

The latest covers offer an elastic band for additional security when closed.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
The 'patented' clasp system is identical in the new case.

So, if you open it wrong, it may ruin you K2/KDX just like the other Amazon case.

Be careful.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I think it is quite easy for the kindle to crack with them actually. My brother picked up my kindle (and he is in his fifties) and started to open it from the rear. There is no way, for someone who isnt familiar with the kindle, to know which is the front if they just casually pick it up. And stuff like that happens with people. I think it is a design error which is why the next kindle cover had that piece of elastic. And why Amazon replace kindles that get cracked in this manner. And sent the email a few months ago. In a perfect world, the kindles wouldnt be cracked.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Just don't buy Amazon's defective design case.

Risk eliminated.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 03:31 AM   #6
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

of course coolbreeze, but if you dont know there are cracking potentials, then you dont know not to buy it, although a moot point now. I bought the Amazon cover almost a year ago, before Amazon recognised the problem.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
This seems silly to me.
I accidentally open my original Kindle cover backwards all the time and all that happens is the Kindle flops over into the correct position. The only way it's going to crack the case is if someone holds down the Kindle with their thumb and continues to pry the cover open... ignoring the cover's built-in "reluctance" to open in that manner -- not to mention the fact that the whole time you're trying to pry it open with unnecessary force, you're staring at the back of the device instead of the screen.

Covers don't break Kindles.... brutes with no common sense do.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

I disagree - I would never break my own kindle, but people want to take a look at it, and it should be "break free" by design, really...
Old 07-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #9
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
There's this special clip, or velcro, as a commenter suggested.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
guiyoforward
Zealot

Many thanks. I was indeed going to comment that I spent $1.5 on half a meter of adhesive velcro. But really for a $50 cover on a $400 device that's a fugly hack - having permanent velcro pieces on the back!!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #11
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
This seems silly to me.
I accidentally open my original Kindle cover backwards all the time and all that happens is the Kindle flops over into the correct position. The only way it's going to crack the case is if someone holds down the Kindle with their thumb and continues to pry the cover open... ignoring the cover's built-in "reluctance" to open in that manner -- not to mention the fact that the whole time you're trying to pry it open with unnecessary force, you're staring at the back of the device instead of the screen.

Covers don't break Kindles.... brutes with no common sense do.
Whatever, as gulyofforward said, a cover designed to protect should not break because of simple user error. To think otherwise seems silly to me.