Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Will JK Rowling eventually cave and allow ebooks of the Harry Potter series?
Yes, eventually 116 65.17%
No, never 44 24.72%
Other 18 10.11%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #76
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I think that eventually JK Rowling will allow ebooks versions of the Harry Potter (HP) series, but it will occur when sales of the printed versions drop to a low level. That would provide a significant incentive to release them in ebook form. For me, due to lack of physical space an ebook version is the only way I'd consider purchasing the HP series.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #77
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well... la ti da... as I said before... I guess I'm just too bourgeois to realize how bad her writing is. Shame on me for enjoying her books.

BOb
For comparison (staying within the category of fantasy, and either kidlit or not excessively adult to preclude adolescents) how about some quotes:

Lemony Snicket:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quot...Lemony_Snicket

Discworld:

http://www.theninemuses.net/quotes/discworld.html

And Rowling:

http://www.quotegarden.com/bk-hp.html

Can't you see how painfully stiff and prosaic those Rowling quotes (from, I would assume, submissions by actual fans) compared to the other two writers?
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #78
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well... la ti da... as I said before... I guess I'm just too bourgeois to realize how bad her writing is. Shame on me for enjoying her books.
If I'm going to read pulp, I'd rather read scifi or low fantasy pulp than high fantasy
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #79
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Well, some of the examples you cite are a bit misleading. Firstly because the other two write mostly for humour, and the Potter books are more dark fantasy, and secondly because many of the quotes on the Harry Potter page are from the screenplays, which Rowling didn't write...

There is also the matter of personal opinion. I think you are mistaken in believing that there is a right answer and a wrong answer here and that you must make us see the right answer. People just have different tastes and opinions. Such is life. Personally, I found the Snicket books fun at first but with a sameness to them after awhile, and I think Pratchett can come across as trying a bit too hard to be clever sometimes (although I did enjoy the Death ones). Other people love those authors. Other people love the Harry Potter books. Some people like none of them. Where is the harm?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:58 AM   #80
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
It's only a matter of time.

I remember when DVDs first came out and Steven Spielberg was all "omg! teh dvd!! teh noes!!".

So everyone was happily selling DVDs while Spielberg stuck to his VHS tapes.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #81
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
It's only a matter of time.

I remember when DVDs first came out and Steven Spielberg was all "omg! teh dvd!! teh noes!!".

So everyone was happily selling DVDs while Spielberg stuck to his VHS tapes.
Did THAT GUY of all people complain about an improvement in video quality?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #82
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
yeah, but Stephanie Meyers IS epublishing! I'd rather have a kid read what is actually pretty good writing from Rowling than the dreck that Meyers writes any day
The audiences are a bit different, in that Rowling's books seem to be liked by both genders and a wider age group.

The age group that Meyers aims at doesn't judge "good writing" by the same criteria that adults do - at least I didn't at that age. I didn't stick to my age group's literature when I was a teen, but I can't say that at that point in time I was that discerning a reader - if the story hooked me the I would read the book. Looking back, I read a lot that I would now consider dreck, but I enjoyed those books the time.

I don't have problems with people liking books that I don't; I certainly don't think that my taste in reading is any kind of standard that others must meet. Nor do I have a problem when authors write for a specific audience segement. The only problem I have is when authors are dishonest in their writing, when they delude themselves as to why they write what they do, or why they complain about readers who point out errors in continuity or coherence, or when their opinion of their writing is greater than its actuality.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #83
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
lol! indeed! I haven't been able to force myself to watch Twilight yet. I figure one of these days when I am just tremondously bored!
Noooo, don't do it. It was terrible, horrible, and all the other 'ible's. I thought is was very cheesy and way over the top in some places - even more so than the books (which I sort of enjoyed). I walked out wondering how they could have completed it and thought it was any good, then I considered the target audience... my, then 15 year old, daughter couldn't stop saying how good it was...

When New Moon came out, my wife took here and me and my son went to see Alvin and the Chipmunks!!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:39 AM   #84
Starearedkid
Starearedkid is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Honestly, I would love if they came to ebooks. Eventually John Grisham did. Whenever, I want "light" reading--I typically re-read my books. I like to read, just to read; and sometimes I have too much going on that I can't start a new book. When I start a new book, I become actively immersed and involved in it--where I will insist on finishing it in one day.

However, books I already know how it ends, or qualify as "light reading" to me (i.e Harry Potter, Mary Higgins Clark, and some others) I like to bring to the beach or the pool or even if I have a few minutes here and there to read, read a snippet of it. I would love for Harry Potter to be an ebook because of that. I actually put down my Nook for the last few days just to re-read number 6.

And yet, I realized how cumbersome the books ACTUALLY were to hold. I am hoping with more e-readers hitting the market, and plus with no more books in the series to be made, she will change her mind. I will gladly rebuy them all for my Nook. (Just like I rebought many of my other favorite books)
Starearedkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:02 PM   #85
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Noooo, don't do it. It was terrible, horrible, and all the other 'ible's. I thought is was very cheesy
So, comestible?
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:06 PM   #86
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I voted "other" because I don't care. I read the books as they came out and while I enjoyed the first 3, the later ones weren't something I'd want to read again. Period.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote