Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
usagi_chan
Enthusiast
usagi_chan began at the beginning.

Device: Black Pocket Pro (my preciousss)
Smile Help, I need some advice

Hello everyone! My name is Mihaela and I'm from Romania. I've been lurking around this awesome forum for about half a year, since I found out about ebook readers.(Yeah, I know, I found out they existed pretty late ) As I love , it immediately cached my attention and I have been wanting one ever since, but could really not afford it. Until now. The new generation of ebook readers, having dropped under 200 $/euro is a little more affordable.
So, the bottom line (sorry for all the babbling) is which one should I buy? I read quite a number of reviews on all the e-readers out there, but I'm still undecided, especially since I cannot see one in real life. I like the fact that the bebook supports many formats and is accessible for the european market, so until now this is the one I'm most inclined to buy.
I don't need a reader for technical docs, but one for my quite extensive classic literature e-library (thank God for Project Gutenberg). It would be nice if I could also enjoy some mangas on it, but it's not a necessity.
Any is most welcomed! Oh, in case I forgot to say for all the work you guys/girls have done.
A grateful newbie.
usagi_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you are looking for a good low-cost EInk Reader, then either the Sony PRS-300 (released by the end of the month) or the Hanlin V5 (BeBook Mini) are the front runners. The Bookeen Opus, also with a 5" screen, is significantly more expensive. We don't have formal reviews of either one, but they are both based on earlier 6" models. Both will support mobile Adobe Digital Editions (ePub and PDF), with Sony's support probably more mature (but Jinke improves its firmware with frequent incremental updates, which Sony does not do). The Hanlin V5 has more hardware capability (e.g. SD card, faster processor and newer display processor) but will probably be a bit more expensive.

See Wiki: E-book Reader Matrix for a few more details.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
usagi_chan
Enthusiast
usagi_chan began at the beginning.

Device: Black Pocket Pro (my preciousss)
Thank you, Wallcraft for the info. I have checked the e-book reader matrix and indeed, the bebook mini and sony prs 300 wink at me But living in Europe, I think the bebook mini is more accessible. I don't have to pay VAT for it and if they will sell it at Simplicissimus Book Farm the shipping will be free. I have also seen the astak 5” EZ Reader Pocket PRO. On Astak site now they say they take international orders as well, but I don't know if the warranty will also be valid outside North America. I do hope they will make the bebook mini available for preorder soon. If not, maybe I'll go with the Astak reader. It's the same device under a different name, right?
usagi_chan is offline   Reply With Quote