Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #1
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Aura One page turns

I'm on 4.5.9587. Is there anyway to increase the speed of page turns? I'm a very fast reader and the slow turns drive me crazy.

My Android Lg tablet is so much faster and the battery life not that much different from the Aura One. I do like the size of the One, but if I can't resolve this, I'll end up not using it except for outdoors. Such a shame as it is only a couple of months old.

Lyn
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A tablet is going to be faster than an eInk Reader.

Is the KA1 so slow that you can get your eyes to the topof the screen and still have to wait for the page turn?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is the KA1 so slow that you can get your eyes to the top of the screen and still have to wait for the page turn?
Yes, I have to wait on the page turns. Too bad the next page can't be preloaded in the background. Obviously I don't program eink readers!
Old 08-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any chance you could video page turning with ePub? All the videos I can find are using kepub.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What value do you have for "Reading Settings | Refresh the screen every"?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #6
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Try installing the Calibre KoboTouchExtended plugin, and send a book to your Aura via USB. That should convert it to Kepub, and will greatly improve the responsiveness.

I have a post with more details, (including tweaks to make full screen reading work, as an alternative to firmware patching, if you like.)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=336

but installing the Calibre driver and loading a book is all you need to do to see for yourself if the speed is more to your liking.

Based on your description of frustration, however, I have to wonder if you're trying to read a pdf or comic (excuse me: graphic novel/manga) book?
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I disagree with the greatly improve. The difference in page turn speed between ePub & kepub is not all that much.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #8
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What value do you have for "Reading Settings | Refresh the screen every"?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I have the patch for every 29? or so.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #9
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Try installing the Calibre KoboTouchExtended plugin, and send a book to your Aura via USB. That should convert it to Kepub, and will greatly improve the responsiveness.

I have a post with more details, (including tweaks to make full screen reading work, as an alternative to firmware patching, if you like.)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=336

but installing the Calibre driver and loading a book is all you need to do to see for yourself if the speed is more to your liking.

Based on your description of frustration, however, I have to wonder if you're trying to read a pdf or comic (excuse me: graphic novel/manga) book?
I do use Calibre and kobotouch extended. Reading only epubs on it. Maybe I'm just picky and want it more like android.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:44 PM   #10
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The things I have seen that really slow down the page turn speed are problems with the book itself, such as: large internal html files that haven't been split at chapter boundaries; or lots of redundant html markup, which sometimes results from converting to ePub from another format.

If the book has these sort of problems then they seem to affect the speed of the ePub reader more than the KePub reader, but if the book is competently constructed then the page turn speed is about the same in the ePub and KePub readers.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #11
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm very happy for those who don't notice the delay in page turns on Epub, and I know it's improved vastly over the past 5 years.. However, if you *do* notice the lag, and bother to measure it, Kepub is more than twice as fast, on any book, (and much more than that on books with complex formatting or images that stress the eput reader.)
Old 08-16-2017, 06:29 PM   #12
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I'm very happy for those who don't notice the delay in page turns on Epub, and I know it's improved vastly over the past 5 years.. However, if you *do* notice the lag, and bother to measure it, Kepub is more than twice as fast, on any book, (and much more than that on books with complex formatting or images that stress the eput reader.)
Yep I've noticed it too. Also epub3 features seem to bring it to an absolute crawl even if they aren't particularly complex.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:41 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I do use Calibre and kobotouch extended. Reading only epubs on it.
Mainly as a curiosity, but if you are only reading epubs, why are you using the KoboTouchExtended driver? It's primary purpose is to do on-the-fly conversion to kepubs.
Quote:
Maybe I'm just picky and want it more like android.
But, your Android tablet probably has a much faster CPU and a lot more RAM than your Kobo device. Expecting the same performance out of the two devices isn't really reasonable. Same goes for the battery life. Odds are the Android tablet has a much bigger battery to give it longer life, but at the cost of a lot of extra weight.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:04 PM   #14
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Mainly as a curiosity, but if you are only reading epubs, why are you using the KoboTouchExtended driver? It's primary purpose is to do on-the-fly conversion to kepubs.
That was probably in reply to my comment about reading pdf's or comics. I would, however, like to confirm that the books are actually being loaded as Kepub.

If you long press on a book, (either in the home screen, or in the Library list), and from the pop up menu, select "Vew Details". then press the tab in the middle that says "Details"... there should be a line that reads "File Format:". And the if the extended plugin is working, that File format will say "Kobo Epub"
Old 08-17-2017, 03:42 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Are there any videos showing ePub page turns? All I can find are showing kepub which in this case is useless.