Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-23-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
Magic Matt
Magic Matt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle eReader 4
Repurposing old Kindle eReader gen4 ?

I have an old Kindle eReader model D01100 that I don't really use, and would like to repurpose it for use with my band. I would like to display lyrics on it, and have a foot switch to turn the page.

Is there any way I could do this?

The only thing I can come up with would be building something that taps into the switches on the side, soldering onto the board. I'd rather avoid this if I can.
Magic Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:55 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Matt View Post
I have an old Kindle eReader model D01100 that I don't really use, and would like to repurpose it for use with my band. I would like to display lyrics on it, and have a foot switch to turn the page.

Is there any way I could do this?

The only thing I can come up with would be building something that taps into the switches on the side, soldering onto the board. I'd rather avoid this if I can.
That is not the model number.

We (you and the members here) need to know what device you have.
Look up the first four characters of the serial number on the 'device info' panel.
Use those and this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
To discover the model's nickname as known here.

Note: You will also need that information - threads are indexed by and prefixed by the nickname to make finding things closer to possible.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #3
Magic Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That is not the model number
Yes it is. See attached. Right next to where it says "Model No" it says D01100.

As stated before, this is one of the original old Kindle eReaders, which I believe is a generation 4. It's around 5 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170724_001337406.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	158070  
Old 07-23-2017, 07:32 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

As stated before, this is one of the original old Kindle eReaders, which I believe is a generation 4. It's around 5 years old.
That is the model number not the serial number. There is a big difference.
If you can please turn on your kindle, go down to settings and then push the page button,
at the top of page 2 you will see Device Info.
Your serial number should start with a B.
The first six numbers are what you need to find anything to help you. Oops 4 because it is an older model.

I did confirm our model numbers matched.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:40 PM   #5
Magic Matt

Yes, I realise model number and serial number address totally different. I'm not sure knc1 does, as he just told me the model number isn't the model number.

Looking at the serial number, it confirms it's a Kindle 4th generation, B023.
Advert
Old 07-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

That number, the one following the words: "Model No" is a production item identification.

The actual device model number, the one upon which all firmware is 'model locked' too, is a field of the serial number.

The use of "generation" terminology is Marketing Department lingo.
It varies across different regions of the world, and has varied over time for the identical devices.

This is a technical site, we must use the same schema of identification that the firmware production people use. Our work has to match and coordinate with theirs, not with the various regional marketing department advertisement language(s).

- - - -

The only "model number" which counts in the world of Kindle software is the "B023".
Known here as a: K4

Now that you have that information, you should be able to navigate the information both indexed and prefixed in this forum enough to answer your own questions.

There is no reason for me to spend any time on your questions, you stated that you are already convinced I probably do not know what I am talking about.
There is a lot of information here, enjoy yourself.

Last edited by knc1; 07-23-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:04 PM   #7
Magic Matt

Well you don't know the difference between a model number and a serial number prefix. The fact you just tried to tell me the model number isn't the model number, then got pissy at your mistake speaks volumes. That kind of attitude and "help" I can do without, thanks.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:33 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Well you don't know the difference between a model number and a serial number prefix. The fact you just tried to tell me the model number isn't the model number, then got pissy at your mistake speaks volumes. That kind of attitude and "help" I can do without, thanks.
That works for me.
Forget what you learned here about how to locate information specific to your device.
Just use the "D01100" string to help you find things specific to your device.
I wish you a lot of luck with that.

The answer to your question has already been posted here, enjoy finding it without using the device nickname.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #9
Magic Matt

Well you just keep telling yourself that "K4" isn't just a shortened form of Kindle generation 4... ho hum...

Seriously, did you need to be such a dick? Really? Take a chill pill, life's too short. You made a simple newbie mistake. Get over it.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:23 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Well you just keep telling yourself that "K4" isn't just a shortened form of Kindle generation 4... ho hum...

Seriously, did you need to be such a dick? Really? Take a chill pill, life's too short. You made a simple newbie mistake. Get over it.
He misspoke is all. He was thinking serial and accidentally typed model. At his age, he is well entitled to do that. If you want help here, you might want to learn the lingo.
If you call it anything but a K4, you will find nothing here to help you.

But since I am in a good mood, I am almost positive that what you want to do cannot be done through software on that model.
Sorry we couldn't help you.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:42 PM   #11
Magic Matt

It does look like hacking the hardware might be the easiest route. Even the software route would mean either soldering the USB port internally, or making a WiFi based unit with a custom driver for the Kindle... all of which seems much harder than piggy-backing the microswitches for the page turning.

Thanks for the help anyway. I'll try and take some photos as I go, so that if it's successful, others can copy if they desire.