Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-16-2016, 02:21 AM   #121
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The "I picked the wrong file" problem I tried to fix with yesterday's edit that gives visual separation between devices and their files.

But this user probably was using the old index listing.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:51 PM   #122
rpgmaker
Connoisseur
rpgmaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Why doesn't a moderator delete this thread? It's not maintained and google keeps directing people here.
rpgmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2016, 01:07 PM   #123
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgmaker View Post
Why doesn't a moderator delete this thread? It's not maintained and google keeps directing people here.
We are just plain folks here.

If you want that read by someone who can act on it - -

Go to first post, click the 'report thread' button, then enter your comment in that text box.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #124
Sukarn
Enthusiast
Sukarn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2
Assuming that there isn't a need to be politically correct about driving people away from instructions posted by someone else, the moderator notice at the start should be modified. "Members might want to check out" is suggestive, not persuasive. It sends a signal that there are alternate instructions, but it's okay if you just go ahead and follow these instructions without bothering to read another thread.

Sure, the download-redirect to proper instructions will send people over to the supported instructions, but it might be less confusing to be persuaded to open that thread manually, rather than being left to wonder why they ended back on mobileread

Last edited by Sukarn; 08-16-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Sukarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:12 PM   #125
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukarn View Post
The moderator notice at the start should be modified. "You might want to check out" is suggestive, not persuasive. It sends a signal that there are alternate instructions, but it's okay if you just go ahead and follow these instructions without bothering to read another thread.

Sure, the download-redirect to proper instructions will send people over to the supported instructions, but it might be less confusing to be persuaded to open that thread manually, rather than being left to wonder why they ended back on mobileread
Please do what knc1 said. Click on report in the first thread and comment in the box.

Report is the button on the right side of karma.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2016, 02:13 PM   #126
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
@knc1 You could add 'Kindle', 'Voyage', and 'Paperwhite' to the thread title and non-spoiler contents to improve the Google ranking.
Most people buy a 'Kindle' or 'Oasis' and not a 'pw3' or '6th gen'. For the existing members who know their product shortcode the naming is perfect - for the others it's bad and they may have a hard time to find https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877
Of course it's up to you decide whether you want to do this as it is your thread.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:18 PM   #127
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
A moderator should not delete this thread. Even if the information is out-dated one could still find valueable information in it. Also the authors of content belonging to this thread may get upset that their posts were deleted.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:20 PM   #128
Sukarn
Enthusiast
Sukarn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Please do what knc1 said. Click on report in the first thread and comment in the box.

Report is the button on the right side of karma.
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourcat View Post
@knc1 You could add 'Kindle', 'Voyage', and 'Paperwhite' to the thread title and non-spoiler contents to improve the Google ranking.
Most people buy a 'Kindle' or 'Oasis' and not a 'pw3' or '6th gen'. For the existing members who know their product shortcode the naming is perfect - for the others it's bad and they may have a hard time to find https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877
Of course it's up to you decide whether you want to do this as it is your thread.
I'm not sure whether the part about adding those to the thread title is a good idea, mainly because the title would become too long, but putting a list of all supported devices at the start of the thread in bullet points without a spoiler tag, similar to this thread, would definitely be a good idea. No need for the device names to be links, just names should be good.

Last edited by Sukarn; 08-16-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Sukarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #129
pikagreenribbon
pikagreenribbon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Okay, so I've spent a lot of time trying to jailbreak a PW2 (sn 9017) and I sincerely think that it's not possible right now. I've succesfully downgraded to 5.4.3.2 and installed the Generic jaibreak for Factory Image. There'a new book that reads "You are jailbroken".

BUT there's no way I can install the Update jailbreak hotfix_1.14.N since the .bin gets deleted every time I extract the Kindle from my PC. I have tried the Niluje snapshot version with same results.

There a lot of people saying that they can't install the .bin on a (9017) model and no one of them has solved the issue apparently

Edit: wrong thread
pikagreenribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #130
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikagreenribbon View Post
- - - -
There a lot of people saying that they can't install the .bin on a (9017) model and no one of them has solved the issue apparently

Edit: wrong thread
The model 9017 is fully supported - has been for the past 50 weeks.
Once you get to the correct jail break thread and follow directions exactly.
So your first suspect should be that you, yourself, are doing something wrong (as in, not following directions without making your own modifications to them).

- - - -

Please provide link(s) to wherever those 'lot of people' are reporting the problems.

It isn't here, nor in the correct thread of this forum.

If you are referring to posts on another site, then don't confuse those directions with the original (here).
There are a lot of sites / blogs with poor or just dead wrong, local versions of these directions.

Note: I can only support the set of directions I wrote and posted on this site, if people are having trouble with the directions on another site, they need to get that other site to support them.

Last edited by knc1; 06-15-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:12 PM   #131
mjjw2003
mjjw2003 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 2013 (Prefix 9017)
Hello, I am running 5.8.10 on my Paperwhite 2 (S/N Prefix 9017) and whenever i move the .bin into the kindle, i eject and the update kindle is grayed out. When i connected it to my PC the .bin file disappeared! I've tried a lot of times but non worked. Am I doing anything wrong? Any suggestions?
mjjw2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:33 AM   #132
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjw2003 View Post
Hello, I am running 5.8.10 on my Paperwhite 2 (S/N Prefix 9017) and whenever i move the .bin into the kindle, i eject and the update kindle is grayed out. When i connected it to my PC the .bin file disappeared! I've tried a lot of times but non worked. Am I doing anything wrong? Any suggestions?
You can't jailbreak 5.8.10.
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #133
caranajyu
caranajyu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle basic 2 white KT3
issue in downgrading.GUIDE ME

MY DEVICE IS
G000 KA05 BASIC (WHITE)
ITS BEEN UPDATED TO 5.9.2.0.1

WHEN IT WAS IN EARLIER VERSION I HAD JAILBROKEN.
AND FOR SOME ISSUE IT WAS AGAIN RESET AND MY JB WAS GONE.

NOW ITS UODATED TO 5.9.2.0.1 AND I M NOT ABLE TO JB AGAIN.
WHEN I PUT THE FILE IN DIRECTORY IT DISSAPEARS.

PLEASE GUIDE ME
caranajyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:56 PM   #134
knc1
Going Viral

please do not shout.
1) Do not rely on the directions in this thread.
2) You have not lost the jailbreak just because of an Amazon update.
The jail break, and its auto-re-install code always survives an Amazon update.
3) You must always re-install everything (other than the jail break).
Nothing else is auto-re-installed, you must do that yourself.

Now give us details -
What works.
What does not work.
Each thing you have tried and the result of each of those things.
Have you ever used the "Reset (to factory defaults)" menu entry?
When in relation to all other things that have been going on?

Last edited by knc1; 02-23-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:43 PM   #135
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
I have a question regarding the jailbreak survival code.

On the wiki I read:

"This is the ONLY TIME you should ever use the Reset menu entry in the lifetime of the device because it wipes out the jail break survival code that is about to be added in step 6 below. NEVER AGAIN USE THE "Reset" MENU ENTRY. "

Why would there be no way to install again this survival code in the future if needs be? Couldn't a kindle be jailbroken / reset / jailbroken again?

Thanks for clarification (and the great sharing of knowledge in all those interesting posts! )
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote