Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2015, 04:34 PM   #61
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoHunt View Post
I think this is a bit OTT. I've ordered lots of physical items from Amazon and my digital content is not in danger. I have no fear of returning anything that's defective in the future (I've only returned 1 defective item and 2 ebooks in 10 years).

Josie, please don't take this the wrong way, but if the email you received was a one-off deal, perhaps Amazon is really in the wrong. But you also received the same warning last year. Perhaps just accept Amazon's determination and move on. Nothing will change your Amazon purchase/return record or how they have reacted.
I actually agree with you, I'm paranoid now so not a 'normal' customer.
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:44 PM   #62
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You might be better served by engaging in a tad less hyperbole.

frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2015, 10:58 PM   #63
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I have returned items.

Some for cause - defective or mislabeled.
A few not so clearly anyone's fault.
Never a problem except for one cap that didn't "fit all" , 3rd party, not Prime, that I calculated would cost me money to return. I will find someone to wear it.
A few items like a cup I didn't like that Amazon said "just keep." I gave it to a son a few weeks ago.

Amazon does an amazing job.

We still haven't spent all our tax return plus 10% bonus we got from Amazon and Turbo Tax last year, but I have noted that my wife is redoubling her efforts!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:41 PM   #64
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Every time this subject is mentioned, in whatever thread, I am accused of over overreacting. I was told by another member on this thread to shut up and go away so I'd appreciate it if those who feel I am overreacting do the same.

I know exactly how I feel and how I need to act to protect my access to my Amazon account.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:06 AM   #65
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Every time this subject is mentioned, in whatever thread, I am accused of over overreacting. I was told by another member on this thread to shut up and go away so I'd appreciate it if those who feel I am overreacting do the same.

I know exactly how I feel and how I need to act to protect my access to my Amazon account.
Everyone here knows how you feel.
I don't think you are overreacting but I do think that you are venturing into overkill.
We all get your point but repeating it numerous times in the same thread won't drive the pin in any farther.

Why don't you come play in the lounge and take your mind off of this.
We have chickens and drinks and decorations.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2015, 03:20 AM   #66
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Everyone here knows how you feel.
I don't think you are overreacting but I do think that you are venturing into overkill.
We all get your point but repeating it numerous times in the same thread won't drive the pin in any farther.

Why don't you come play in the lounge and take your mind off of this.
We have chickens and drinks and decorations.
mines a port and lemonade
Old 10-28-2015, 03:57 AM   #67
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
This all seems to be about whether or not an account should be closed.

I'd hate for any and all media coverage to focus on that rather than on what happens to anyone's digital media if an account gets closed.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:42 AM   #68
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
This all seems to be about whether or not an account should be closed.

I'd hate for any and all media coverage to focus on that rather than on what happens to anyone's digital media if an account gets closed.
I think it will though.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #69
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
I agree it does suck that you cant speak to anyone one on one but has others have already stated no one is forcing you to buy anything from Amazon and you still have access to all your digital content.

If it was me in your position I would just buy elsewhere and viola they never have an excuse to ban you from anything.
There are reasons why people use Amazon. For folks who live in more remote locations, subscribe and save can be a good send. Being able to have staples and home goods mailed to you when you live 45 minutes from a store in the middle of winter when there is a good amount of snow on the ground is pretty darn helpful.

I use subscribe and save, not in the sticks and the grocery store is a mile away, but it is a good deal less expensive then some items are in the store. About half the time, the boxes that my Kind bars come in are totally trashed. If canned goods arrived in the shape that a fair amount of my non-canned items, I can see lots of returns. Boxes are broken, bags are ripped. Cans would be smashed, glass jars broken. Those would not be my fault but apparently reporting them too frequently is problematic. So you can either not order those things, which is what we do because it is not worth the hassle and the store is a mile away, or risk ordering things that you like/want/need and hope and pray that they arrive in good shape as opposed to trashed.

I am not saying that there are not other similar services, there are. But if you are in the habit if using a particular service and that service goes away all of the sudden it could be a shock. And it might be hard to find someone who does everything Amazon does, so you might use a more inefficient system because you have to order from multiple locations.

So suck it up and spend money else where is theoretically possible but is not necessarily easy or convenient. And if you are not at fault and the stuff you have been returning is defective or arrived broken then why should you have to go through the ass pain? Why shouldn't the people shipping stuff be responsible for packaging their things better and making sure it arrives in good shape.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #70
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
And if you are not at fault and the stuff you have been returning is defective or arrived broken then why should you have to go through the ass pain?
Did I miss the part where people who've only ever returned defective or broken stuff are getting warnings or having their accounts closed?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #71
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Did I miss the part where people who've only ever returned defective or broken stuff are getting warnings or having their accounts closed?
This. I just can't imagine buying something and then returning it just because I decided that I didn't actually want it. In that case, I would try to sell it or give it away. I do research on all big purchases before I buy them, whether online or in store. In my opinion, buying and returning just because you don't like the color (or fit, or anything else) *is* abuse.

Has anyone been able to find a case where an account was closed (or a warning received) *solely* because of defective/broken returns?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #72
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Has anyone been able to find a case where an account was closed (or a warning received) *solely* because of defective/broken returns?

Shari
I've returned a few (very few) defective items from third-party sellers over the years, but it's one and done for me. I don't re-order; if there's a problem at their end, why get sucked into a cycle?

As for fit, that can be problematic. The alternative is shopping for fit at brick-and-mortar stores (if one has the item) and then ordering from Amazon, and that's morally dubious IMO. Just this past summer, I ordered two pairs of sandals which were a gold-box special. The reviews said true-to-size, but my feet swam in them. I did exchange them for a size smaller.

That said, I generally avoid ordering items where I think the fit is dicey. Shoes are tough (I ordered the sandals because they were a great deal); sweaters, say, are more forgiving. But that's mostly because returns are a nuisance, not because I think I'd be courting trouble with Amazon.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:30 AM   #73
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
N
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
But that's mostly because returns are a nuisance, not because I think I'd be courting trouble with Amazon.
Same here. With rare exception*, I have no desire to intentionally set myself up to need to pack and ship back lots of stuff. I expect that goes for most people.
I also note that in my lifetime, many companies have reeled in their once-ultra- liberal return policies. Brookstones, EMS, Costco, others. Apparently they were sustainable once, then things, or people, changed.
If it can be done accurately and fairly, I do like the idea of addressing individuals and their specific cases rather than punishing everyone with a global policy change.

ApK

*Sometime I will take advantage of one of those "try it for 30 days and if you don't like it, return shipping is free" deals.

Last edited by ApK; 10-28-2015 at 09:37 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #74
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I have read a number of cases were people had accounts closed who had a history of returned products due to exploded cans and the like. They had pictures of the stuff when it arrived and the like. Is it possible, potentially even probable that it is not the entire story? Yes but there seems to be a trend, in the stories that I read, that include damaged food goods.

Maybe it stuck with me because I have seen plenty of damaged food boxes and the like but since what I was dealing with was granola bars and pancake mix there was no damage done. But most of these stories tend to involve people who live far away from town and appear to be using Amazon for some of their regular food shopping.

Someone else in the thread noted that third party sellers can complain to Amazon about someone returning things and that can accelerate the process. I know that most of the stuff I get through Subscribe and Save comes through third parties.

I am projecting a bit to scenarios where it would be harder for someone to simply change who they shop from and how they might have ended up in this mess. To Amazon, it is one person who probably is not all that important to their bottom line. To the person, losing Amazon is far more difficult because of how it helps them live the life that they like.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:23 AM   #75
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
To Amazon, it is one person who probably is not all that important to their bottom line. To the person, losing Amazon is far more difficult because of how it helps them live the life that they like.
Isn't that always the case, though? In any relationship between an individual and an entity?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote