Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Using non-Amazon mobi books on Kindle reader

I did a search and didn't find a thread on this specific subject. If there is one, I apologize . . . .

I just bought a Kindle (first one) a few days ago. It's downloading Kindle/.mobi books just fine from Amazon. However, over the two or three years that I've been into building an ebook library I have also bought some epub and, especially, pdf ebooks along the way. I know that they can be converted to mobi with Calibre, but after I've converted them with Calibre is it possible to get my Kindle reader to download them and for me then be able to read them?
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can easily transfer them via USB (documents folder) or email them to the Kindle with your Kindle's email address. Then, they will also be put in your cloud.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
You can also use Calibre to transfer them to your Kindle directly. Depending on where you got your books from, you may need to deal with any DRM with which they are 'infected'. If that is the case, google 'Apprentice Alf's Blog' for 'helpers' and instructions before importing your books to Calibre for conversion.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:46 AM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You can easily transfer them via USB (documents folder) or email them to the Kindle with your Kindle's email address. Then, they will also be put in your cloud.
Or you can use the "Send to Kindle" app that Amazon provides to send the book to both your Kindle and your cloud storage so that you can read the book right away if you wish and then if you later delete it from the Kindle you can just link to your Kindle account and re-download the book again.Send to Kindle
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
My Kindle's email address? I don't know about that. Can you tell me about it--where I can find it, etc.? Again, this is my first Kindle reader (I've had Kindle for PC for some time now).
Advert
Old 03-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
My Kindle's email address? I don't know about that. Can you tell me about it--where I can find it, etc.? Again, this is my first Kindle reader (I've had Kindle for PC for some time now).
Go to amazon.com/myk and look under devices. You should see email addresses for any devices and compatible apps.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Log into your Amazon account, and click on Manage Your Kindle, then Manage Your Devices on the left. You'll see your registered devices near the top/center, and when you click on each one, you will see the associated email address to each device.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #8
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
or look under settings
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #9
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
If you're a Calibre user, my advice is to forget about using "Send to Kindle" and "Manage Your Kindle". They're awkward, slow and unnecessary.

With Calibre, the best and easiest way to transfer books to your Kindle is to open Calibre, connect your Kindle by usb, highlight the title(s) you want to transfer, and click "Send To Device". The entire process is automated and you can transfer multiple titles at the same time. You can also delete multiple titles by reversing the process. Look for the green checkmark by titles on your device, highlight them, then click "Remove From Device". Be careful to remove them only from the device, not from your Calibre library as well.

Last edited by jscarbo; 03-17-2014 at 11:39 AM.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

and calibre can auto convert them if they are epubs...
Old 03-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
or look under settings
on your kindle...
Old 03-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Calibre is great for transferring files to your Kindle. That's what I use as well. Only reason I can think of that you wouldn't want to do this is if you use multiple Kindle devices--you won't be able to sync your position on books side-loaded through Calibre. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd love to know if there is actually a way to sync content that's been side-loaded to Kindles through Calibre.)
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #13
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you so much, all of you. You've given this newbie a lot of great information!
Old 03-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #14
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
I should point out that all Kindles can read PDFs natively. Converting .PDF to .mobi may give a better or a worse reading experience. On a Kindle Fire of course you can also try different apps.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #15
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
Quote:
However, over the two or three years that I've been into building an ebook library I have also bought some epub and, especially, pdf ebooks along the way.

My experience, after having had my Kindle for several years now:

(1) Calibre and Apprentice Alf are your friends for getting epubs into your Kindle. Absolutely great. I've read 500+ books on my Kindle and probably 98% started their lives as epubs.
(2) There is no satisfactory solution for PDFs on a 6" Kindle. Yes, the Kindle supports the format, but on average. it's slow, well-formatted but far too small, and disappointing. That's not a slam on the Kindle; it's just not what it's made for.

I gave up after a bit of struggle and went with a Galaxy Pad and Aldiko for my PDF collection. I'm much happier for it. YMMV.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.epub, .mobi, .pdf, calibre, kindle reader