Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #586
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Dos2unix is attached to the KUAL second post and merely fixes lines endings AFAIK.

Dosbox for arm I suppose could be looked at however I tried it natively on the PC and was not impressed.

Why not start up a thread outlining your compilation issues for it. Also perhaps indicate a specific package that you wish it to eventually run.

List the Toolchain, upstream sources, commands used, compilation environment (windows I guess you indicate here), and resultant errors seen to get better support.

I personally don´t use any windows environments to compile for the kindle since it is a linux box.

HTH

EDIT: meh. I got it running native on the 5.

Last edited by twobob; 03-15-2013 at 03:21 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #587
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Much obliged to stepk for beginning to implement the updated guts that should form v0.5...

Will attempt to resume the interim testing again RSN. busy busy

With a following wind and a time machine might even get kual-system helpful by that point. And all the other gubbins that are in the works.

Anyways. More on the horizon....
Advert
Old 03-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #588
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
As of now, KUAL appears on the home screen as a regular book. Is there a way to reduce this? For instance, is there a way to run KUAL as an option in the regular menu, without it being visible in the home screen?

A second question: how can I hide KUAL buttons? For all other cases, I need to edit the menu.json file. But in this case, there is no such file. Maybe an option in the KUAL.cfg file?

Last edited by hfpop; 03-17-2013 at 04:59 PM.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #589
twobob

injecting things in the menu AFAIK is the opposite of KUAL's ethos.

We try our best NOT to touch the system guts. In addition the request is PW specific.

The very recent addition of a built-in launcher option (on the touch devices) to replace the store button goes against this but it was added owing to popular demand.

Add it (The Kual "Book") to a collection and hide that collection with collection manager?

So the options are:
a) Use the injected store button replacement function
(Honestly, I, personally am not 100% behind whole messing with that button but people want it and it exists...)
THEN
b) Hide the book with a collection thingy.

or c) use as is.

The whole point of KUAL was to provide a launcher that wouldn't explode with every re-release of the OS. Such java level mangling to replace the menu options is OF COURSE possible, and in fact there is the old launcher project first authored by Yifan to give you some idea of the works required.

Most certainly it won't be a feature that is to be added to the main branch in the forseeable future.

RE: your second point...
Do you mean the hide DEFAULT KUAL buttons? We could look at that.
I'll have to check the stepk code modifications to the last release.

If not now... this certainly will be an option in the future.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #590
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
@twobob: Thank you for such a detailed answer and for taking the time to thoroughly analyze the problem(s).

I like a simple and non-cluttered interface. As the two applications are not actually books, I did not think at grouping them in a collection (e.g. called "Applications"). This idea is IMO the right solution here.

I fully agree with non-intrusive programming habits. I was hoping that there is a call-back function to be used with menu add-ins. Thus that would allow for a clean solution.

The same priority for simple interface made me ask about the possibility to remove from the KUAL list of buttons those standard buttons I am not actually using.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #591
twobob

Agreed.

Will have a look at it RSN.

Stepk - to be perfectly honest - has done the VAST majority of all recent works. All kudos to him for that.

I am off doing other, so far unseen, works with knc1.

If you have a brilliant idea - or just wish to raise a "change request" like you have outlined above do me a favour and drop it in here:
http://kual.knetconnect.com/forums/forum/kual/launcher/

so the relevant people can get an eye on it.

Much obliged.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #592
twobob

EDIT:
Okay. DuokanLuncher added to main top post indexes.

phew.

Last edited by twobob; 03-18-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #593
kindleuzer
Enthusiast
kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: PW, K3 Kbd
N/m - answered my own question by just installing it. Actually took longer to ask the question than to apply the KUAL, lol. Trying the font fix now...

#----------------------------
This looks pretty cool. I'd like to install it, and also want the "hide fonts" button. Let me see if I've got this right before starting, maybe I can avoid a problem in advance.

I already have jailbreak and jbpatch installed, and I guess the dev certs is installed along with jailbreak (from update_combined-devcerts?). So now all I need to do is install the Kindlet jailbreak, and then copy the Kindlet azw2 file to the documents folder? And that's basically it? Or do I also need to install KUAL-specific devcerts?

Then for the hide fonts button, I just need to drag the fontconfig folder to the extensions folder, then edit the fonts.txt file to comment out whatever fonts I don't want? Sounds too easy, makes me think I'm missing something. Would appreciate if someone could tell me in advance if I've got it right, thanks. :-)

Last edited by kindleuzer; 03-21-2013 at 12:14 PM.
kindleuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #594
twobob

you got it right.

IIRC the fontConfig thingy needs testing on a few device types.
Which I will finally have a go at (after weeks of waiting by the super awesome jimmy-jim)

I'll start on the touch right now. <-- No. It's tested as okay on the touch...

Ill go over the the 4.

Last edited by twobob; 03-21-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #595
twobob

FontConfig added the main index. How did I miss that?

Sorry Jimmy-Jim. Things have been hectic.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #596
kindleuzer
Enthusiast
kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: PW, K3 Kbd
Yes, font fix thing doesn't seem to be working. The "instructions" aren't really all that clear, so it's difficult to know if I'm doing it right. I just copied the fontconfig folder to extensions, removed all the font names I didn't want from fonts.txt, then used the KUAL button to hide fonts. After restarting, all the fonts are still there. So I'm not sure what else I should be doing. There's some cryptic comment about the KUAL button overwriting the config files every time, so I'm not really clear on how this is supposed to work.

>edit: oh wait, think the fonts.txt file is supposed to be the fonts you *don't* want included. restoring that and restarting...

Ok, my mistake. Verified working on Paperwhite 5.3.3

Last edited by kindleuzer; 03-21-2013 at 12:41 PM.
kindleuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #597
twobob

Some screenshots from FontConfig on the touch.

Will check it on the 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_216.png
Views:	243
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	103271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_215.png
Views:	248
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	103272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_217.png
Views:	218
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	103273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_218.png
Views:	230
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	103274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_219.png
Views:	231
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	103275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_220.png
Views:	248
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	103276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_221.png
Views:	240
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	103277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_222.png
Views:	236
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	103278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_223.png
Views:	234
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	103279  
Old 03-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #598
twobob

Okay.. so since the 4, 3 and DX use other "font display technology" this will be listed as no for them.

I'll add notes.

EDiT: What? It took me this long to figure that out? meh. Okay I admit it mainly did. it's been like 6 or 7 months since I even LOOKED at my fonts selector.

I was attempting to figure out if this had ANY application on those device. The answer appears to be "No".
Old 03-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #599
twobob

Happy to have finally done a FB related KUAL project.

Perhaps I can really look at throwing dithyr in the mix RSN.
Glad to finally get a FB project to full fruition, however tiny.

In other news.

wish, expect, bash have all recently made it into Kual-system.

Info blurb ends.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #600
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hello, Your going to have to forgive me but I've been away for awhile and need some clarification. So KUAL replaced YifanLu's launcher after some update broke it. KUAL reads the same resource files as YifanLu's launcher giving it backwards compatibility. So before updating from a prevous version of requires the uninstall of YifanLu's launcher before updating. Correct?
Titano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified