Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Have a Sony PRS-T1, want colour screen

I have a Sony PRS-T1 but I also love to read on my iPad, because of the coloured covers, nice bookshelves and flipping pages. And most of all the front lit screens. However it is a bit heavy compared to my Sony.
What would you suggest, no not an ipad mini. A bit expensive for just reading because I do not need another iPad for email, web browsing, movies etc. Suggestions? I think the Kindle Fire is more in the direction, not too pricey.
I haven't been looking or in the market for two years or so, so I feel kind of new again when I see all these new ereaders.

Last edited by bcgirl; 11-10-2013 at 09:51 PM.
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You have a T1, yet you use iBooks on an iPad. That is a HUGE step down. If you can strip the DRM from your ePub, I highly recommend you get Marvin and use that for reading. it blows iBooks away in terms of everything that has to do with reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
No personal experience with it here (I'm getting an ipad mini for Xmas!), but I hear good things all over the place about the Nexus.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
No personal experience with it here (I'm getting an ipad mini for Xmas!), but I hear good things all over the place about the Nexus.
Actually, I've read some not so good things about the nexus both the new and old models. The worst thing is how fast the battery drains when in sleep mode and how it's not all that smooth at scrolling. And from the same users who also own iPads, the iPad has better battery life in sleep mode and has an overall smoother feel and scrolling is smoother too.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, I've read some not so good things about the nexus both the new and old models. The worst thing is how fast the battery drains when in sleep mode and how it's not all that smooth at scrolling. And from the same users who also own iPads, the iPad has better battery life in sleep mode and has an overall smoother feel and scrolling is smoother too.
Sure - but the OP has already rules out an iPad mini, because of price. I'm assuming that scroll smoothness isn't a big deal when flipping pages.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2013, 01:14 AM   #6
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
What is your budget?
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The Nook HD has a great screen and a great price. I use it only as a reader since I also have an iPad for other tablet activities. It has access to the Google Play store for apps. Therefore you can load several reading apps such as Sony, Kindle, Kobo, Overdrive, etc.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #8
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
What is your budget?
Somwhere around $150.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #9
bcgirl
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
The Nook HD has a great screen and a great price. I use it only as a reader since I also have an iPad for other tablet activities. It has access to the Google Play store for apps. Therefore you can load several reading apps such as Sony, Kindle, Kobo, Overdrive, etc.
That sounds like what I need....however I'm from Canada. Are they available in Canada? Also, I love reading magazines too. One of the reasons I would like a colour screen.

Last edited by bcgirl; 11-11-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, the mobile phone site doesn't show location. You might want to consider the Kobo Arc in that case.

Are you near a border that you could buy one in the US? I think you can only buy Nooks in the US and UK, but there is no problem using them in Canada.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Yes, I agree with Bookworm_Girl. For the price point of $150, the Nook HD would be a great way to go and you would have some left over to get some good books! Places like Office Max had them for sale when I was looking for one. Does OfficeMax have a presence in Canada? I think with the Black Friday sales coming up someone should have them for sale and delivery to Canada.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

For magazines I use my iPad. They don't look so great on the smaller screens. You have to do a lot of zooming and scrolling which annoys me. I stick to reading just books on the smaller tablets.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
bcgirl
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Sorry, the mobile phone site doesn't show location. You might want to consider the Kobo Arc in that case.

Are you near a border that you could buy one in the US? I think you can only buy Nooks in the US and UK, but there is no problem using them in Canada.
If the Nook is really what I need, and they sell them only in US, I could check it out. I live not too far from border. Like an hour and a half drive. How is the Kobo Arc? Although I don't really like Kobo (altho i have a Kobo mini just to read preview samples most of the times). Or Kindle Fire, compared to the Nook?

Last edited by bcgirl; 11-11-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
An iPad does not have a front-lit screen. It has a back-lit screen, just like all other tablets and compuer monitors.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #15
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
For your $150 price point, I can only compare the Fire and the HD+. In my opinion, the HD+ has a better display. It has a SD Card slot - the Fire does not, and it has access to the Google Play store. I do not know much about the Arc, so I cannot comment on that.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote