Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 08-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #31
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnementh View Post
Erm that would make 50 F become 5 C which is a 5 degree difference which is huge.
Try 0C, whish would be 0F, but is actually 32F...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #32
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Proud of my geeky self, I have now setup ISO dates.

The Geek Uprising, conquering the world one date setting at a time.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #33
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post

I tend to use that one, too, when it's meant for a varied group of readers, for least ambiguity.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #34
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Very well chosen examples.

And in case anyone is sceptical, it does work for other temperatures too.

04 C = 40 F (well, give of take a fraction of a degree)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Don't mess around with dividing by 5/9 or adding 32. Just reverse the digits.

A couple of examples:

28 C = 82 F

16 C = 61 F

Get the idea?

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-05-2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: typo
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #35
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
read the start of this thread !
Quote:
OK, try:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/pro...timezoneoffset

under Date Format and Time Format.
Thanks a lot!
I always thought it's useful to ask silly questions!!
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #36
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
04 C = 40 F (well, give of take a fraction of a degree)
Great, so 40 °C = 04 °F ?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:36 PM   #37
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
OK, try:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/pro...timezoneoffset

under Date Format and Time Format.
YAY !!!! thank you alex ! like sweetpea said, i love you too !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
Thanks a lot!
I always thought it's useful to ask silly questions!!
yep !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #38
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
Quote:
Or if you are quick at math, subtract 32, then multiply by 5 and divide by 9.
5/9 happens to be 0.55555, the observing person quickly sees how you can calculate that, it's ½ + ½ /10 + ½ /100

So for the 50°F example the result is
50 -32 = 18
18 / 2 = 9
9 + 0.9 + 0.09 ≈ 10°C
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #39
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who are you? View Post
5/9 happens to be 0.55555, the observing person quickly sees how you can calculate that, it's ½ + ½ /10 + ½ /100

50 -32 = 18
18 / 2 = 9
9 + 0.9 + 0.09 ≈ 10°C
Love it!!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #40
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, I like that one. Very neat. I think I'd simplify by subtracting 30, not 32 and not using the 1/100 term. The two simplifications almost cancel out for extreme temperatures (>100°C or < 100°C)and subtracting one if the answer is double figures or less fixes that.

Quick, what's 450°F in Celcius?

thinks... 450-30=420, 420/2 = 210, 210/10=21, answer = 231 (precise answer is 232.222.....)

How about -200°F
230/2 = 115/10=11, answer = -126°C (precise answer is -128.8888

68°F: 38/2= 19/10 = 1.9, answer = 21°C -1 = 20 (precise answer is 20)

20°F -10/2 = -5/10 = -0.5, answer = -5.5 -1 = -6.5 (precise answer is -6.6666)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who are you? View Post

50 -32 = 18
18 / 2 = 9
9 + 0.9 + 0.09 ≈ 10°C
Old 08-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #41
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Love it!!
I'm suddenly reminded of a wonderful story by Isaac Asimov, "The Feeling of Power", written in 1957!

http://www.themathlab.com/writings/s...es/feeling.htm
Old 08-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #42
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
What did I start I just asked for something simple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm suddenly reminded of a wonderful story by Isaac Asimov, "The Feeling of Power", written in 1957!

http://www.themathlab.com/writings/s...es/feeling.htm
Thanks for the link - looking forward to reading!
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:06 AM   #43
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
[QUOTE=Mike L;542882]Excuse me, but it's not a question of UK vs US. The DD/MM/YY format (or minor variations thereof) is used throughout Europe and much of Africa, Asia and elsewhere. It's not UK-specific.

Most software these days will respect whatever choices the user makes in Regional Settings in Windows Control Panel, or its equivalent in other operating system. That's all that's needed here.

I have to agree with Mnementh that it can be very confusing to see the day and month apparently the wrong way round.[/QUOTE

And to think that I thought that I was the only one with this problem.
I am no longer a lone voice crying in the wilderness.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote