Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-05-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Pricing

For those of us avidly researching which reader to buy, I must say that I REALLY don't understand the pricing. Here in the USA one can buy a Sony 505 for $270 with no tax and free shipping. Most of the other readily available readers sell from $300 to $350 with some shipping charges as high as $60. A Kindle from Amazon sells for $359 with no tax and free shipping, and they sell for more than that on eBay.

I am confused...
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would suggest that you look at features, not price. Decide what you want to read - fiction or non-fiction, primarily. Look at the pros and cons of the different eBook formats and decide which you prefer. Then, and only then, look at the devices which support your preferred format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
DickyCheung22
Enthusiast
DickyCheung22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yes, you will get confuse if you only compare the price instead of features... Higher price = more features is always true for electronics product
DickyCheung22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyCheung22 View Post
Yes, you will get confuse if you only compare the price instead of features... Higher price = more features is always true for electronics product
I wouldn't agree with that at all. It might often be true, but sometimes certain brands will charge more simply because they can (They are more trusted by the public). Also in a market like ebooks, Sony might sell its reader for less with the belief that they might make more in the long run from their ebook store (likewise for the Kindle). Third party brands that support multiple formats know that all the money they are going to make is based off of the hardware, so they have to make their money upfront.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I wouldn't agree with that at all. It might often be true, but sometimes certain brands will charge more simply because they can (They are more trusted by the public). Also in a market like ebooks, Sony might sell its reader for less with the belief that they might make more in the long run from their ebook store (likewise for the Kindle). Third party brands that support multiple formats know that all the money they are going to make is based off of the hardware, so they have to make their money upfront.

--
Bill
That would seem to explain the pricing schemes that I've seen.
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I also chose a PRS-505 for it's low price, and mainly because I can get a lot of documents from the internet.

Only unfortunate that most of them are in pdf format which tends to give some reading issues (especially on larger papersized pdf's) on current 6" devices.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote