Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Question Without the Store...how do I get books?

Folks,

Have patience with me... but how do I get new books?

1. Where should I buy them from?
2. What format should I be getting so that they are compatible with my T1?
3. How do I get them loaded into my T1?

I do not use Caliber, never had the need to do so...can I still use the Reader application to upload the new books??

Thank you!
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I found the answer...

http://www.bookpeople.com/how-downlo...r-sony-ereader

How to Download Kobo eBooks to Your Sony eReader or Other E-Ink Device (excluding Kindle)
You can read your Kobo eBooks on your eReader using Adobe Digital Editions software.

Step 1: Set up a Kobo account via this link.

Step 2: Set up Adobe® Digital Editions

Download Adobe® Digital Editions.
Install the application and set up an Adobe® ID.
Step 3: Download your book from the Kobo Store

Visit the Kobo Store.
Sign in to your account.
Click My Library (near the top of the page).
In your list of Kobo books, find the book you want to download.
Click Download, ADOBE DRM EPUB, or ADOBE DRM PDF depending on what’s available.
Find the file you downloaded (an EPUB, PDF, or ACSM file) and right-click it.
Locate
the file (called urllink.acsm) on your computer and double-click the
file to open it into Adobe Digital Editions. You can also open the file
by launching the Adobe Digital Editions program and selecting File >
Import Files from the menu.
ADE will start, download your book, and add it to the ADE library.
Step 4: Use Adobe® Digital Editions to transfer your book

Connect your eReader to your computer.
If necessary, follow the prompts to authorize your computer using your Adobe® ID.
Your eReader will appear on the left side of the ADE window.
Drag the book from your ADE library to the eReader icon.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Many of us liberate our books from the evil DRM so that we're free to shop at any bookstore we want for the best selection and best pricing. Then convert even Amazon's Kindle books into epub and side-load them to our reader. That way you're never dependent on a store being around forever to keep your purchased books available. You can store them safely on your hard drives to make sure they're available to you always, even if the ebook store is closed.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You can use the Sony desktop software in place of Adobe Digital Editions if you wish to, it can serve the same function as far as DRM is concerned.

There should also be a firmware update sometime this month that puts the Kobo store on your T1 in place of the Sony store.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:11 AM   #5
wachuko
eBook Worm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You can use the Sony desktop software in place of Adobe Digital Editions if you wish to, it can serve the same function as far as DRM is concerned.

There should also be a firmware update sometime this month that puts the Kobo store on your T1 in place of the Sony store.
That would make it easier. Thank you, I was not aware of this.

Going on a business trip and just finished the last book in the reader...need to buy a few more for the trip.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:12 AM   #6
wachuko
eBook Worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Many of us liberate our books from the evil DRM so that we're free to shop at any bookstore we want for the best selection and best pricing. Then convert even Amazon's Kindle books into epub and side-load them to our reader. That way you're never dependent on a store being around forever to keep your purchased books available. You can store them safely on your hard drives to make sure they're available to you always, even if the ebook store is closed.
I will search on how to do that. I have never done it.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Google "Apprentice Alf" for the necessary info. We're not allowed to discuss how to do it on the forums at all.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #8
wachuko
eBook Worm

Quote:
UPDATE Sony® Reader™ (PRS-T1) System Update Release Date 3/27/2014 Version 1.0.06.03210 File Size 104.47 MB
DOWNLOAD
This utility updates the PRS-T1 firmware to version 1.0.06.03210 which addresses the following issues:
The "Reader™ Store" icon and link is replaced with the "Kobo Store" icon and link to enable direct access to the Kobo eBook Store via Wi-Fi® connection.
Downloading now!

Last edited by wachuko; 05-09-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #9
wachuko
eBook Worm

That only took an hour.... wow...

Anyway, update is done... now I see the button that was replaced:

But the Kobo's end is not done... well, at least I have the latest firmware update. I will get the books I want for my trip from the Kobo website...

Thank you all for the help!

Last edited by wachuko; 05-16-2014 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Photo size must be max of 600x600
Old 05-11-2014, 02:16 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
But the Kobo's end is not done... well, at least I have the latest firmware update.
Yep, that's the same screen I get on my T2. I think they originally said sometime in May, but these dates seem to have a way of slipping. Hope it does eventually get up and running, however, as that would make the T2 more useful.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool No Fears.....Go, Go, M/Read, Alf and Kovad !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post

1) Calibre....................

then............................

2) Apprentice Alf ......... wot a star the lad is

Job done

I have had more Sony readers than you can shake a stick at, and only got a total of 3 books from the Sony store, or their "approved" sources ...... in my very early days, that was, before I discovered MR and all its wonders ! .................
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:23 AM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Hear, hear carpetmojo!

The Mobile Read forum and all its helpful users, Calibre (particularly Kovid but also those helpful MR users again!), then sprinkled with a little bit of magic from the essential Apprentice Alf. An absolutely terrific trio that help make ereading a joy, immaterial of where you buy your ebooks from and which ereader you use to read them.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:57 AM   #13
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Dunno know about the "little" bit .......................

Can't imagine what one would do without Alf ...............

Purely from the ereading point of view, I hasten to add ..............

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:50 AM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
The Mobile Read forum and all its helpful users, Calibre (particularly Kovid but also those helpful MR users again!), then sprinkled with a little bit of magic from the essential Apprentice Alf. An absolutely terrific trio that help make ereading a joy, immaterial of where you buy your ebooks from and which ereader you use to read them.
I'll second, or third ... or four thousandth that. Thanks to the folks here, the Calibre team and Apprentice Alf, I finally feel completely in control of my eBooks. Besides the DRM issues, you can also reformat the pages. For example, blank spaces between paragraphs in fiction books just doesn't work for me. Much better to have an indent, without the spaces. Calibre can do that -- and a whole lot more (most of which I don't even know about yet). And all this works fine on Linux, since Calibre is mult-platform.

I'll quit rambling now. Calibre is great. Enhanced by "Apprentice Alf" it's even greater.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #15
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
I wish the Kobo store was functioning on the reader because it's a bit of a nuisance to have to sideload the books (which still irks me because in the past I could and did order books off the Kobo website off my reader and was able to upload the books without involving a computer, etc.

You can also buy books from the Google play store (they are usually a little cheaper than on Kobo). It still involves using a computer, but you can then go to the play store->My books and there is an option to download the book to your computer as a epub or pdf or both depending on the book. I did that the other day. I was all set to buy a book for $9.99 on Kobo only to discover I could get the same book for $7.50 on Google. So it depends on how penny-pinching you want to be. (I recall when Sony announced it was closing the bookstore that I compared a few titles with Kobo and bought them off Sony because it was a bit cheaper).
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote