Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Sony

Sue to trouble with my Kobo I'm going back to my Sony. But I'm having problems with sending books. Today when I tried to load books onto the Sony it took forever to do it. It took over 20 minutes to add 30 books (something that took less than a minute with the Kobo)

Any ideas?
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Do you have lots of tags on your books? It could be setting up all those collections that's taking all the extra time.

Just a guess, I've never had it take that long, but I keep my tags to one usually, two if I really can't decide on a single one.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't use tags and if I download something via flag fanfiction grabber I always delete the tags
Old 06-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
Sue to trouble with my Kobo I'm going back to my Sony. But I'm having problems with sending books. Today when I tried to load books onto the Sony it took forever to do it. It took over 20 minutes to add 30 books (something that took less than a minute with the Kobo)

Any ideas?
The T2 grabs the covers from the ePub to make the thumbnails.. So that does indeed takes time. The more books you add at once, the longer it takes. There is an option for the Kobo (via the driver) to send the covers to the Kobo when the ePub is sent. So that would make it take a lot less time on the Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
20 minutes for 30 books is excessive unless one is very large and/or the all need to be converted.

Sony and Kobo are about the same time for me, although times can vary with both by as nuc as a minute inn sending metadata to the device. (just my exoerience)
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That is a very good thought that some of those eBooks may have needed to be converted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
Bittybye
Addict

No they were average size books none needed to be converted and no tags.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
No they were average size books none needed to be converted and no tags.
Have you tried using the OS to transfer any big file to the Sony, just to see how long it takes? you may have a USB problem
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
Bittybye
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Have you tried using the OS to transfer any big file to the Sony, just to see how long it takes? you may have a USB problem
I tried that it took less than 15 seconds to transfer 20 books I have that are over 1000 pages long (the biggest files I can think of)

Plus like I said the Kobo loads very fast.

I'm also having the problem of using the program that comes with the Sony, it freezes when I have the T2 attached, so I can't add files from there.

Adding by dragging and dropping then the covers take FOREVER to load.

Is there a special way I need have Calibre, a special setting or something, a add-on maybe? I tried a few things this morning and it took an 1 and 15 minutes to load 50 books. It takes 3 minutes to do a average book. 10 minutes to do one of the 1000 page books. Even the mediadata takes 10-20 minutes to load.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is nice that the Kobo is fast (and that sort of proofs the PC end of the USB), but we are troublshooting the Sony by performing test steps
It's USB could be poor or not playing nice with the PC (My first PEz would Fault if I allowed USB2 was out of spec hardware.)
People tend to equate 'Freezing' with too busy to respond.
Scanning a device for books and MARKING them in Calibre is intensive use of the CPU and USB port.
If you interrupt this, it has to start over the next connection.
There may be a Sony driver configuration setting to limit where the scan phase looke, otherwise... All storage gets examined.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
Bittybye
Addict

Quote:
It is nice that the Kobo is fast (and that sort of proofs the PC end of the USB), but we are troublshooting the Sony by performing test steps
It's USB could be poor or not playing nice with the PC (My first PEz would Fault if I allowed USB2 was out of spec hardware.)
People tend to equate 'Freezing' with too busy to respond.
Scanning a device for books and MARKING them in Calibre is intensive use of the CPU and USB port.
If you interrupt this, it has to start over the next connection.
There may be a Sony driver configuration setting to limit where the scan phase looke, otherwise... All storage gets examined.
I mean no offence when I say this but I really understood little of that. I'm not tech savvy.

I'm going to respond to what I understood I added books via drag and drop to the Sony and it took less than 15 seconds to add the books so I don't think it was the USB.

It doesn't take long for Calibre to find what books are on the Sony, just adding them from the computer to the Sony.

I don't think I interrupted it I usually put my laptop on the table and watch TV or a movie until it's finished.

Now if I misunderstood your points I'm sorry, I'm not tech savvy, which is why I'm here asking for help. If you're not too frustrated to respond again try telling me something like you would your great grandma.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #12
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
I'm also having the problem of using the program that comes with the Sony, it freezes when I have the T2 attached, so I can't add files from there.
The first thing I would recommend is uninstalling the Sony Reader software if you are no longer using it. The PRS-T series readers don't need it - even if you need to re-register your Sony at some point, you can do so from the device itself.

(If you are using the software to download epubs, I suggest switching to Adobe Digital Editions for that instead.)

Since the software is already acting up when the T2 is attached, there could be a conflict that's affecting the USB driver when trying to use it with calibre.

After uninstalling it, restart your computer and see if your calibre transfer speed improves. It may not, but as you are already having issues with the software, I think it's worth a try.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

You covered my points well and rulled out hardware
One last idea: The Sony plugin has been configured (incorrectly?) to use a format not on your system (forcing a conversion). If this is happening, you should see a format other than expected (eg Mobi instead of EPUB) on the Sony

I have no clue
Old 06-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #14
Bittybye
Addict

Quote:
You covered my points well and rulled out hardware
One last idea: The Sony plugin has been configured (incorrectly?) to use a format not on your system (forcing a conversion). If this is happening, you should see a format other than expected (eg Mobi instead of EPUB) on the Sony

I have no clue
Nope, nothing but epub. I don't get it. No one else seems to have this problem. I think ereaders hate me.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Nope, nothing but epub. I don't get it. No one else seems to have this problem. I think ereaders hate me.
Start with the advice in Post 12. If this has no affect then maybe the database in your Sony may be corrupt.

I don't have this device, but a factory reset or formatting internal memory might be in order to give you a clean slate. Make sure you backup the data from your device before you try either of these suggestions.

Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-29-2013 at 09:42 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote