Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It's so easy for me to lose perspective...

Someone recently wrote to me that he sometimes feels like Kobo takes one step forward and 10 steps back. I don't know about you, but I often get caught up in minutia--seeing lots of trees, but no forest at all.

I decided to figure out what I would have been reading on a year ago. It turns out it would have been a Kobo Touch running software 1.9.17 (fixed). It's been quite a year and despite its shortcomings (and I bet that most of us have definite views on what they might be), the Kobo i use today and the FW that runs is is a whole lot better than what I had to read on a year ago.

Just saying...

Last edited by taming; 06-12-2013 at 03:34 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Someone recently wrote to me that he sometimes feels like Kobo takes one step forward and 10 steps back. I don't know about you, but I often get caught up in minutia--seeing lots of trees, but no forest at all.

I decided to figure out what I would have been reading on a year ago. It turns out it would have been a Kobo Touch running software 1.9.7. It's been quite a year and despite its shortcomings (and I bet that most of us have definite views on what they might be), the Kobo i use today and the FW that runs is is a whole lot better than what I had to read on a year ago.

Just saying...
I never have this impression reading your posts, on the contrary I often wonder first why you are so subjective when it comes to kobo, and second how often you seem to know about what their short and long term plan is, and sometime on very strategic points.

Just saying too.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I heart Kobo

Just saying as well
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Looking back, I'm not sure. I think it is a wash. I like the glo (I really like the light), but as far as actual reading, I think I prefer older firmware.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
Somewhat. 1.9.17 didn't have the long paragraph bug, or the top margin issue which are personal bugbears of mine. However, it did resize the book covers on the homescreen which looked awkward, and the interface looked a bit less polished in general.

(I realise now you said 1.9.7, which was before my time)

I don't think that kobo takes 10 steps back, but there often seems to be something that goes wrong on each release, usually relating to a key feature (like reading epubs). I am still deciding which firmware to run based on which has the least annoying bugs, and that is not a great state of affairs.

Last edited by scoobertron; 06-12-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: factual innacuracy
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
It was 1.9.17--my mistake. I have edited the intial post.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
Somewhat. 1.9.17 didn't have the long paragraph bug, or the top margin issue which are personal bugbears of mine. However, it did resize the book covers on the homescreen which looked awkward, and the interface looked a bit less polished in general.

I don't think that kobo takes 10 steps back, but there often seems to be something that goes wrong on each release, usually relating to a key feature (like reading epubs). I am still deciding which firmware to run based on which has the least annoying bugs, and that is not a great state of affairs.
1.9.17 did have the long paragraph bug. That's been there going back to a Kobo WiFi when I first remember noticing it. I don't know if it also happened with the original Kobo but then didn't have that many books with run-on paragraphs to notice it with.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
BookBunny
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏'\(⊙ ヮ⊙ )
BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Glo™
I'm still on 2.3.1 and glad I can evade the updates. They seem to only introduce features I don't want/need and bugs. Unless they implement a file browser (lol), I don't see myself ever updating this thing.
BookBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Ahhhh, grasshopper, but I remember double taps that drove me bananas, sd cards that never did work on some devices, syncs that never sunk, WiFi problems out the wazoo, top margins that were so tight that people could not read the top line and you could just forget about choosng a word for dictionary look-up. And slooooooooooow, OMG.

I am not saying all of these things were in 1.9.17, and I am not minimizing today's crop of bugs, but for those of us who started with the Kobo-0, back in the spring of 2010, the changes have been amazing.

This Kobo journey is just different from the buy a device and see it unchanged pretty much forever, then wait for a new device for new functionality kind of thing. It's not for everyone, for sure, but I kinda sorta like it (despite it driving me nuts from time to time).
Old 06-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
This Kobo journey is just different from the buy a device and see it unchanged pretty much forever, then wait for a new device for new functionality kind of thing. It's not for everyone, for sure, but I kinda sorta like it (despite it driving me nuts from time to time).
I agree. There are so many things where nothing changes, despite developments in the field, that you always feel like their (company A's) only goal is for you to upgrade a device. It's nice (IMO) that despite having bought my device 8 or 9 months ago and a brand new device being out, I don't feel like they want everyone to drop their old device and run out and buy the new one....of course they probably do, but it's not so in your face. I feel like I have a new "device" every 3 or 4 weeks
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:58 AM   #11
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Taming,

Okay, I've donned my Impervium(tm) armor and firmly welded on both codpiece and helmet... Tricky bit welding that codpiece.

So, basically you're saying you'd rather have a really screwy device so you can "fix it" than have a properly working device to begin with... This is a woman-thing, and applies to more than your taste in electronics doesn't it ladies?

Ducking and running, well trying to walk fast in this damned armor... Hey, stop throwing stuff. It doesn't hurt with the armor, but the echoes are driving me nuts!
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #12
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Taming,

Okay, I've donned my Impervium(tm) armor and firmly welded on both codpiece and helmet... Tricky bit welding that codpiece.

So, basically you're saying you'd rather have a really screwy device so you can "fix it" than have a properly working device to begin with... This is a woman-thing, and applies to more than your taste in electronics doesn't it ladies?

Ducking and running, well trying to walk fast in this damned armor... Hey, stop throwing stuff. It doesn't hurt with the armor, but the echoes are driving me nuts!
First, let me reassure you : (tongue in cheek) obviously, with men, we indeed would rather have a "screwy device" than a properly working one. if not, most of you would still be single right now.

Second: in electronics, that rule does not apply, at least to most of us ladies. I want a properly working device, which is the reason why I am so perplexed with most of Taming's posts, who just seems to adore kobo whatever they do
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #13
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kidding aside, I think she's just been through the evolution of the product line as she's been with Kobo longer than many of us. If so, I can see how her perspective might differ as she's seen considerable positive change.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:10 AM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I think if the mini or Aura was my first real ereader, I would think them more than good enough.

I am sure that if the day comes when Kobo puts their top people (person?) on fixing the reading software, instead of the book selling/feature/gimmick software, things will improve dramatically.

Of course by then we will all have holo-decks and be living the books instead of reading them.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:16 AM   #15
TechniSol

+1 GooglePlex for the Holodeck.

Look, we gripe, but our intention is only to have a better product -mostly one with software as good as the hardware.

Imagine if Kobo coded for the Enterprise...

Picard: "Computer, list teas."
90 seconds later the computer responds with a list of the first 5 teas.
Picard: "Computer, Earl Grey."
The replicator does it's thing... Picard reaches in and removes a Kobo Pad displaying "Riders of the Purple Sage" by Zane Grey...
Picard shakes his head, tucks the pad under his arm for later and enters the bridge.
Picard: "I've had it. Set course for the nearest starbase. We're putting in for a refit!"
Riker blinks and reluctantly turns to Picard.
Riker: "But Sir, remember what happened the last time..."
Picard bends forward and grabs his head in one hand and shudders.
Picard: "Merde! I don't care if we do get another firmware update like last time. I need my tea... If we have to fly the ship upside-down, we do it. It's space, nobody knows which way is up anyhow!"