Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Before deciding based on what you can't imagine, go play with one. Seriously, the screen is very nice to read on.

I would not bet on a retina mini in 2013, either. A screen like that requires too much battery and processing power for them to be able to make one at the same weight or at the same price any time soon.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #17
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Before deciding based on what you can't imagine, go play with one. Seriously, the screen is very nice to read on.
I should have expanded. I'm sure it's nice to read text on, but right now I read comics on an older iPad and the lettering is not as sharp as it needs to be. I'm looking for an substantial upgrade, not a sidegrade. (The storage is obviously also an issue.)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #18
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I would not bet on a retina mini in 2013, either. A screen like that requires too much battery and processing power for them to be able to make one at the same weight or at the same price any time soon.
The rumour mill says it's coming in the 2nd half of next year. Take it for what it's worth.

Quote:
The number one complaint about the iPad Mini is the lackluster screen.
It's not as sharp as Apple's other products, which have a Retina display making it virtually impossible to see pixels. It's worse even than the screens on cheaper tablets from Amazon and Google.
(...)
It says the Retina iPad Mini will be out in the second half of next year.
Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #19
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The rumour mill says it's coming in the 2nd half of next year. Take it for what it's worth.

Source
If BI reported it, it must be false.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #20
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I know PDFs suck but for fan fiction so many stories are only offered as download in PDF form. I have an iPad 3 but its too big to read PDFs comfortably on so. i have a few hundred PDFs and want to get an ipad mini to read them on, can anyone tell me the best PDF app for an iPad, it needs folder abilities.

I was planning to wait until the retina screen mini is released as I know the current screen probably isn't good enough.

Thanks
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #21
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I know PDFs suck but for fan fiction so many stories are only offered as download in PDF form. I have an iPad 3 but its too big to read PDFs comfortably on so. i have a few hundred PDFs and want to get an ipad mini to read them on, can anyone tell me the best PDF app for an iPad, it needs folder abilities.
The most capable, in terms of getting and organising files, is GoodReader.
You can download from FTP/SAMBA/AFP.
You can download/upload with DropBox.
It has a built-in web browser you can download files from.
You can create an arbitrary file structure to store files.
[I've probably missed several other possible download sources it offers]
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #22
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Thanks very much murraypaul, I'll check it out.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #23
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A screen like that requires too much battery and processing power for them to be able to make one at the same weight or at the same price any time soon.
Not quite true. The Nook HD has a ppi of 243, close to the ipad's 264 which they call retina. Yet, it is as light as the mini with similar battery life, and $100 cheaper for the same storage capacity. The problem with the mini is that apple has to either go to the same resolution of the ipad to avoid yet another resolution (which means 330ppi), or they have to introduce a new resolution that would wreak havoc with the developers, as the new iphone did. "Too much battery and processing power" does not explain the low resolution of the mini, as the competition is showing.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #24
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
Not quite true. The Nook HD has a ppi of 243, close to the ipad's 264 which they call retina. Yet, it is as light as the mini with similar battery life, and $100 cheaper for the same storage capacity. The problem with the mini is that apple has to either go to the same resolution of the ipad to avoid yet another resolution (which means 330ppi), or they have to introduce a new resolution that would wreak havoc with the developers, as the new iphone did. "Too much battery and processing power" does not explain the low resolution of the mini, as the competition is showing.
Yup, Apple is probably not going to introduce a new resolution. The reasons for that are obvious. We can add that to the list.

Comparing a Nook to an iPad is a bit like comparing a Renault to an Audi, so trotting out specs to imply the opposite is pretty funny.

Last edited by holymadness; 11-27-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #25
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Comparing a Nook to an iPad is a bit like comparing a Renault to an Audi, so trotting out specs to imply the opposite is pretty funny.
I was not implying anything of the sort, please do not put words in my mouth. All I am saying is that at the current price of $329, apple could offer a retina display, without impacting battery life or CPU performance and still make a profit.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #26
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
I was not implying anything of the sort, please do not put words in my mouth. All I am saying is that at the current price of $329, apple could offer a retina display, without impacting battery life or CPU performance and still make a profit.
Well, that's not true either. The iPad mini's battery life and CPU performance are superior to the Nook HD's. Both would take a hit if the screen and nothing else was upgraded. And then there is the problem of fragmentation created by introducing a new resolution.

I am not going to get into yet another of a number of endless debates about Apple with you. Apple made their choices and released this product, not some hypothetical other device. This thread is about whether the mini responds to the needs of readers or not, not baiting about profit margins and spec sheets.

For the reasons above, I stand by my prediction that Apple will not release a retina iPad before 2014.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #27
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
This thread is about whether the mini responds to the needs of readers or not (...)
True enough, I am just pointing out information which I believe to be inaccurate, like the fact that battery, CPU and prohibitive cost are the main drivers behind the mini's low resolution. For reference, the new ipad with 32GB and LTE costs to manufacture somewhat in the ballpark of what the mini costs to consumers (source), so I think I'm quite right when I say that adding a retina was feasible at the current price point while still making a profit. After all, as I said, other devices have what can be called retina while offering similar battery life (10h or so), with the similar weight.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #28
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
True enough, I am just pointing out information which I believe to be inaccurate, like the fact that battery, CPU and prohibitive cost are the main drivers behind the mini's low resolution. For reference, the new ipad with 32GB and LTE costs to manufacture somewhat in the ballpark of what the mini costs to consumers (source), so I think I'm quite right when I say that adding a retina was feasible at the current price point while still making a profit. After all, as I said, other devices have what can be called retina while offering similar battery life (10h or so), with the similar weight.
No, you are *just* pointlessly derailing another thread. The claims you make are demonstrably false and do nothing to answer the questions of readers in this thread, which revolve around whether the mini is enjoyable to read on and when we can expect a higher resolution screen.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #29
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I should have expanded. I'm sure it's nice to read text on, but right now I read comics on an older iPad and the lettering is not as sharp as it needs to be. I'm looking for an substantial upgrade, not a sidegrade. (The storage is obviously also an issue.)
I bought an iPad 1 and was totally disappointed with the screen as far as reading text for books. Apps were mostly okay with the 132 ppi resolution screen. But compared to my iPad 3 with 268 ppi resolution screen the iPad 1 seems like a POS. Text is crystal clear and sharp. I know a lot of fanboys and fangirls are saying the mini has a terrific screen, but to be honest I think they would say that about anything with an Apple logo on it. The mini has slightly better resolution than the iPad 1 and 2 at 162 ppi, but at best that is comparable to screens released two years ago.

Apple really doesn't need to put a Retina screen (2096 * 1536) in the mini, just bump it to 1440 * 1080 for a resolution of 228 ppi and it will rock. That way they can keep the 4 to 3 ratio, and use half as many pixels as a retina screen but with very sharp resolution.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #30
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The mini has slightly better resolution than the iPad 1 and 2 at 162 ppi,
<pendant>
The Mini has exactly the same resolution as the iPad and iPad 2, at 1024x768.
It has a higher pixel density than the iPad and iPad 2.
</pendant>
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote