Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #16
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
hi, can you guys confirm whether trekchic's tip still works or not?
i'm i dire need of exporting my highlights for only one book from my kindle to my PC so i can print them out (rather than the entire my clippings document)
it's a book i bought from amazon.
i tried the "your highlights" in the link kindly provided by thekindleworm but it doesn't show any of my highlights.

many thanks!
I don't know about the perl script but I just ran across this tip in iReaderReview today.

Quote:
Clipping Extractor Macro for Windows

(Via Steve) A macro for MS Word (windows only) that sorts through the clippings.txt file, and lets you extract a particular book’s highlights and notes.
I haven't tried this, so I don't have more information for you.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #17
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
The word macro is actually quite nice. Thanks for posting the link.

However, what I am missing is some relation to the chapters and sections of the book. Is there some way to associate the location with the chapter or section title? Can you extract the chapter/section locations and titles from the mobi or prc file? If yes it should be quite straightforward to implement something like that.

Thanks,

Jens
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Note that 'my clippings.txt' contains no record of deletions, so it may show an annotation that is not in fact there any more.

Another way to get at them is to open the item, select View My Notes & Marks from the menu, and take screenshots (Shift+Alt+G) of each page of notes. Either use these image files as is, or OCR them to extract text. Not so convenient, but may be better than retyping everything.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #19
thearr
thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle3, iPhone4, iPad2
For those who are interested I made a small hello-world app to import/export Kindle highlights and notes. It allows to edit, sort, and filter highlights and save them back in Kindle txt format or in csv. I'm not a programmer and this is my first Python+Qt app, so use it on your own risk: https://sites.google.com/site/kindlethearr/klippings/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	klippings.png
Views:	1409
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	71277  
thearr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:49 AM   #20
gdornick
Eager reader
gdornick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K3, PW1 & PW2, Nexus 5, iPad 2, Onyx Boox i86ML Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by thearr View Post
For those who are interested I made a small hello-world app to import/export Kindle highlights and notes. It allows to edit, sort, and filter highlights and save them back in Kindle txt format or in csv. I'm not a programmer and this is my first Python+Qt app, so use it on your own risk: https://sites.google.com/site/kindlethearr/klippings/
Thearr: thanks for the great work on the app.
I tried it and it looks very promising.
There are two things that I noticed and would like to share about the app:
  1. It takes more than a minute before the app starts up (is that normal or is it just my computer?)
  2. From the 64 highlights in the MyClippings.txt only 16 show up in your app.
Keep to good work going and thanks for sharing.
Gaal.
gdornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #21
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Does this only work on the latest version kindles, I tried it on my k2 and it says the file is the wrong format?
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #22
thearr
thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdornick View Post
  1. It takes more than a minute before the app starts up (is that normal or is it just my computer?)
  2. From the 64 highlights in the MyClippings.txt only 16 show up in your app.
Gaal.
Hi!
  1. Yes, I noticed that too and it is very annoying. The reason is that before starting the app unpacks all python and qt liabraries into a temp folder. I'll try other builder options to optimize that process.
  2. Couldn't you send me a sample from your file with 2-3 highlights not showed in the app? Thanks.

nynaevelan couldn't you also send me your "My clippings.txt" because I haven't got a k2?

Added on May 20, 2011:
Here is a new version: https://sites.google.com/site/kindlethearr/klippings/

Different bugs fixed and added ability to create custom import and export patterns. There is a result of the custom export to html on the screenshot below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	1477
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	71648  

Last edited by thearr; 05-20-2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: New version of Klippings
Old 06-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #23
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
This app is excellent. Just what I am after. I had a few questions/suggestions.

Is there a way to delete items in the viewer? I'm usually migrating my clippings one by one to somewhere else and I'd like to delete them as I work.

In the screen shot, the height of the row is such that all of the data in the text column is displayed. When I use the app, I can resize the row height individually, but the default seems to be just a single line. Is there something I'm missing so it looks like the screen shot?

It looks like when there is a note on a highlight, the highlight is put in quotation marks. Is there any way to not have it do that? I tend to highlight lots of things that already have quotation marks, and I'd prefer to get them as is. Perhaps you could make a stronger distinction between note and highlight by using a double colon. That way it would be easy to split them up later automatically as a double colon is quite unusual in e-books.

Thanks again for your work. This app will be helpful to lots of people.
BKh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #24
thearr

Hi, BKh!

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I'm currently away from home (driving along route 66 in the US) and will be back in about 10 days and then will make changes in the app.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #25
thearr

Hi, BKh, I have uploaded a new version to the homepage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKh View Post
Is there a way to delete items in the viewer? I'm usually migrating my clippings one by one to somewhere else and I'd like to delete them as I work.

In the screen shot, the height of the row is such that all of the data in the text column is displayed. When I use the app, I can resize the row height individually, but the default seems to be just a single line. Is there something I'm missing so it looks like the screen shot?
Use right click or hot keys as in a screenshot below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKh View Post
It looks like when there is a note on a highlight, the highlight is put in quotation marks. Is there any way to not have it do that? I tend to highlight lots of things that already have quotation marks, and I'd prefer to get them as is. Perhaps you could make a stronger distinction between note and highlight by using a double colon. That way it would be easy to split them up later automatically as a double colon is quite unusual in e-books.
You may now customize the way notes attached to highlights in the settings dialog.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	table_context_menu.png
Views:	1524
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	72876  
Old 06-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #26
thearr

As I bought a MacBook recently I have made an OS X version (beta): http://www.sendspace.com/file/65a8xb (20 mb vs. 8 mb for Win ).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_mac.png
Views:	560
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	73092  
Old 07-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #27
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Thanks! It works great. You might want to have a minimum requirement for the line height. I set it to one (thinking one line) and they disappeared.

Great program.
BKh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #28
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
There is a well developed application called Klippings Kollector that you can find here:

http://www.klippingskollector.com/

and a reveiw:

http://kinreader.com/reviews/klippin...ftware-review/

It allows you to import your clippings (highlight and notes) via USB. You can tag your notes on the Kindle or in the software. You add comments and analysis, run searches and filters and print reports. It isn't free, but I have been having a great time with it, having bought it about a week ago. There are video tutorials on the website that will give you a fairly complete view of how it works.

Last edited by Desertway; 07-12-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #29
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Very odd that the amazon site https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights isn't working for your Amazon book.

I just checked mine right now and it's got all my highlights including one I made last night on my iPhone. Are you sure you've done a sync so Amazon can pick the data up?
Your link worked for me, but how do I get to it from my Amazon page. I can't find a link on Manage My Kindle or anywhere on my amazon site.

Thanks
Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #30
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Thanks for this.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clippings, kindle tools