Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
mwj22
mwj22 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KT2 (7th gen)
Showing only percentage in reading progress

Hi,

First of all thanks to the kindle jailbreak community, being able to install custom wallpapers has made my kindle look so much nicer on its lock screen. Apologies if this question about a reading progress mod is in the wrong place, let me know and I can move it.

I wanted to know if there was a mod that removes the "Time left in book: 1 hr 20 mins" message in the bottom left of books. I don't want to feel like I'm racing to complete the book but I keep looking at this information and thinking about it, instead of focusing on the book. I would just like to keep the percentage complete "10%" in the bottom right, while removing the time left in book.

Does this mod exist? And if not, is this an easy modification, or is this something that isn't easily do-able with mods?

Thanks,
Mark
mwj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
You should be able to just tap the time remaining and it should change to something else.
My K5 shows either time left in book, time left in chapter or location.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2017, 07:06 PM   #3
mwj22

Thanks Cinisajoy, but regardless of whether I am showing location in book or time left in book, there is text on the left and the right.

I want to keep the percentage remaining on the right "X%", but remove the "Loc / Time left in book" on the left. Do you know if it is possible to display only the percentage on the right?
Old 03-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let me look around this forum.
Not that I could find on quick glance but a little more information would be helpful.
First 6 digits of your serial number and the firmware version please.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 03-19-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #5
mwj22

Sure, thanks very much.

Serial: 90C6 06
Firmware: 5.8.7.0.1 (311594...)
Advert
Old 03-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

I hope @knc1 comes in soon. He will know.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj22 View Post
Thanks Cinisajoy, but regardless of whether I am showing location in book or time left in book, there is text on the left and the right.

I want to keep the percentage remaining on the right "X%", but remove the "Loc / Time left in book" on the left. Do you know if it is possible to display only the percentage on the right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I hope @knc1 comes in soon. He will know.
That would require a modification of the Amazon (closed source) reader.

I don't recall anyone posting that they had reverse engineer anything about the bottom status bar.

Cut a thin strip of opaque tape, place on screen in lower left corner.
Tell yourself there is nothing under the tape.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That would require a modification of the Amazon (closed source) reader.

I don't recall anyone posting that they had reverse engineer anything about the bottom status bar.

Would electric tape work better, it is black.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #9
mwj22

Quote:
Sounds like a plan that'll cover most cases (I don't read ebooks landscape).
It's a shame there isn't a mod, but thanks for letting me know

Update: It turns out that when reading pdf's in landscape the tape covers the top left of the writing. Looks like I'll just have to leave reading percentage turned off and when I want to find out how far I am through a book just to toggle it on, or go back to the home page to see the percentage. Thanks anyway.

Last edited by mwj22; 03-20-2017 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Added an update
Old 03-20-2017, 10:13 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Would electric tape work better, it is black.
Actually, it comes in a large selection of colors.

Large sizes of electrical wire follows the "Ford Rule" for color choice:
"A customer can have a car painted any color he wants as long as it’s black."*

Which is why "electrical tape" comes in colors, to mark the various all-black wires in a group.

- - - - -

*Despite what you may find written on the web, the reason for this non-choice was at the time (1909) only black paint had the qualities needed for his production methods (low cost, fast drying).
Although he had begun producing the Model T in other colors in 1908, none of them black.

If you can imagine an objective of reducing the price of a car that cost $800. By the end of production (1925) the price was down to $240.**

- - - - -

** Twice the average annual income of the typical worker of the time.
** Twice the price of one side-view mirror on my current car.

Last edited by knc1; 03-20-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Actually, it comes in a large selection of colors.

Large sizes of electrical wire follows the "Ford Rule" for color choice:
"A customer can have a car painted any color he wants as long as it’s black."*

Which is why "electrical tape" comes in colors, to mark the various all-black wires in a group.

- - - - -

*Despite what you may find written on the web, the reason for this non-choice was at the time (1909) only black paint had the qualities needed for his production methods (low cost, fast drying).
Although he had begun producing the Model T in other colors in 1908, none of them black.

If you can imagine an objective of reducing the price of a car that cost $800. By the end of production (1925) the price was down to $240.**

- - - - -

** Twice the average annual income of the typical worker of the time.
** Twice the price of one side-view mirror on my current car.
Interesting because I haven't really seen many black wires, usually when you take off the coating, you find green white red yellow (phone wire), or black, white and green (electric with ground) or just black and white(electric no ground) or red and white (speaker wire).

Oh and we have black, green and brown electric tape here. Maybe other colors too. His tool boxes scare me. I never know what I will find.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

There is probably red and white also.

If your house has visible electric service lines over head - look up at them, they are both black.
Of course, if your house has underground service, do not bother to dig them up, they are all black also.

= = = = =

Well, maybe not -
You live in a relatively small west Texas town -
It might be running on an extension cord from some larger town.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
There is probably red and white also.

If your house has visible electric service lines over head - look up at them, they are both black.
Of course, if your house has underground service, do not bother to dig them up, they are all black also.

= = = = =

Well, maybe not -
You live in a relatively small west Texas town -
It might be running on an extension cord from some larger town.
By George you are correct, the line stretching across the back yard has a grey coating but the wires going into what looks like an outlet are two fat black wires and one skinnier wire. The skinnier wire is the ground.

On a serious note, a few years back, Oncor had to add extra lines to handle the influx of people. I mean the big heavy lines.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - - -
On a serious note, a few years back, Oncor had to add extra lines to handle the influx of people. I mean the big heavy lines.
Similar here.
This little area was at first (40 years ago) formed with homes using gas.
More recently, with "all electric" homes (8x the electricity demand).

Oncor is out here, "fixing" things every very hot or very cold day.

And then there was the cold day a squirrel decided to crawl down a wire and step onto the warm transformer (and wire at same time) . . . .
The squirrel disappeared in a ball of fire.
Also trip'd the feeder line protectors for blocks around here.
That one took nearly all day to get everything 'fixed'.

Last edited by knc1; 03-21-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Tags
percentage read, reading progress, time left in book.