Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 04:16 AM   #436
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Amazon will not ship the new Kindles outside of the US, so yes it has to first be shipped to a US address and then forwarded to you.

You can register it to your account upon receipt.
Yes, that's correct. That's how I got my Kindle Touch, too, and there were no problems with registering it to my Amazon UK account. It's a 3G version, and the 3G worked fine, too.

The only thing I couldn't do was buy books from the Amazon UK store on the Kindle itself, because it would only connect to "amazon.com". I had to wait for the Touch to be launched internationally, and after that there was a firmware update allowing connection to "amazon.co.uk". That's no problem for me, since I never buy books using the Kindle - I do so using Amazon's web site on my phone or PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #437
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobylspoon View Post
Still emellaich said there was 3 gigs, of which 1.2 is available. I had only ever seen 2 gigs.

Still ~750mb for the OS seems the norm now. Isn't it about the same on the nook?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #438
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
After re-watching the video on the Triton display, I can't help wondering how much the front light in readers such as the Paperwhite would improve the colour experience of the Tritons.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #439
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
And after a moment's Googling, up comes this gem from Charbax: E Ink at IFA 2012
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #440
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Still emellaich said there was 3 gigs, of which 1.2 is available. I had only ever seen 2 gigs.

Still ~750mb for the OS seems the norm now. Isn't it about the same on the nook?
The Nook's limit is 32GB via the SD card slot. It lets you nest your books and start them from the SD card although you don't get the thumbnails of the front covers if you use the file system. So you can do this:

ScienceFiction
\Azamov
\Foundation\
Foundation.epub
Foundation and Empire.epub
Second Foundation.epub

Books on the SD card also show up in the long list of all books on the device but with 32GB of books possible organizing them this way seems a good idea.

Last edited by 6charlong; 09-14-2012 at 02:50 PM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #441
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
I want this Paper White mainly because I find myself using the Kindle app on my computer or not reading at all due to the fact that Im in dimly lit areas. Yes I have a booklight but most times I dont feel like getting up and walking around to get it. Computers already on, boot up the app and read the book, especially since Im usually already in bed.
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #442
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
After re-watching the video on the Triton display, I can't help wondering how much the front light in readers such as the Paperwhite would improve the colour experience of the Tritons.
It would be worth a try, anyway.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #443
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
Probably will not hurt. But the intensity and temperature of the ambient lighting may just overpower the light in the device under various conditions. So while the front light might aid in darker rooms it may have no no effect or worsen the color accuracy under other conditions. Viewing angle will likely have significant effect as well.

I suspect Triton might come soon yet won't be all that accurate. Nothing I've run across so far shows anything else. Plus not a lot to be gained by simply moving the "backlighting" to the front calling it "frontlighting". In the end you still end up with an LED lighted display. Probably lower energy but still more of a hybrid between active and passive panels.

All for whatever gets us better color reproduction for reading and photo viewing. I am interested in seeing the new KF HD's panel with it's curved/rounded design and polarizing layer. And yes it is still not the greatness that are EPD E-ink type displays. One step at a time, right? We have been hearing that for, what, a few decades now?
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #444
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
Well, I have one on the way for my birthday - states Oct. 23 delivery, but my birthday isn't until November. I'll still keep my sony 350 for pdf's, but will trade back and forth between the 2 devices. I, too, am interested in the LED display for evening reading. Booklights work well, but they're not even across the screen.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote