Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo on iPad

If I have a question about the iPad (or Android for that matter) Kobo apps, is this the right place?
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:01 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joques View Post
If I have a question about the iPad (or Android for that matter) Kobo apps, is this the right place?
Yes, this would be a good place to ask questions. More of the participants use the Kobo eInk readers but enough using the mobile apps to offer some help or at least a pointer in the direction of help.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2014, 02:43 AM   #3
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Ok, I really just have a simple question: Why are the font choices so different in the iPad app compared to the ereaders? In particular, no Kobo Nickel or Caecilia. Is it like that in the Android app also?
Old 07-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Hello,
This is certainly a good place to ask Kobo app related questions, and I tend to pop up and answer when I can (there are feedback options within the apps that you can also use which will get you app specific answers too)

The iPad application's font selection is different because we are able to use font types / faces that are included within iOS itself.

From what I'm aware, there are only two fonts available on the Android OS; Droid Sans Serif and Droid Serif. If the OS allowed access to more fonts then we could possibly leverage that and use them in app.

Adding additional font selections to the apps would increase the size of the application, plus it is possible there would be additional costs involved to licence those fonts.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
Joques
Addict

Ok - so there is no way for the end user to install more fonts, and there are no plans to include/license more fonts in the apps?
Advert
Old 07-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ok - so there is no way for the end user to install more fonts, and there are no plans to include/license more fonts in the apps?
Currently I do not believe there is a way to install more fonts for the iOS or Android apps.

I'll pass this along to the team as a suggestion, as it may be something for considering for future app updates.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
Joques
Addict

Thank you :-)
Old 07-22-2014, 04:57 AM   #8
Joques
Addict

Veering wildly off topic here, but does anybody know of any Android/iOS ereader apps that include more/other fonts than what is in their respective OS?
Old 07-22-2014, 06:43 AM   #9
Joques
Addict

Huh, the Android Kindle app has Caecilia, which is one of my number 1 favourites, and also a couple of other nice fonts. Would be very nice to get this in the Kobo app also.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
So if the kobo app is running on a kindle Fire, [ which is how I use it - sideloaded ] can it not scan the device folders & "HELP ITSELF" to the Kindle Caecilia font or is that not legal ?

would that be legally/technically different to , say, the Kobo PC desktop app using whatever fonts it can see in Windows ( as is done by lots of other windows programs ? )
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #11
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
It's certainly possible to install new fonts on Android devices. My S3 phone came with five fonts and the font selection screen has a "Get fonts online" button to add more fonts. Any font I select in the phone's settings get used in all apps. So I assume that an app can install new fonts without any problem.

I can't speak for iOS though.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #12
Sharkus
Evangelist

There are actually quite a lot of fonts installed as part of iOS7, have a look here

You can seemingly use an app called AnyFont to install, well, any font, to iOS, or you can add it to a configuration profile and sync that over. Obviously an app will need to be set up to detect the new font and allow you to select it, and thats not a trivial amount of work.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
Joques
Addict

Yes, most likely easier to just include the fonts in the app :-)

Both the Android Kindle app and the Android Google Books app have a nice little selection of fonts included. I really think the Kobo app developers should consider this also.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Veering wildly off topic here, but does anybody know of any Android/iOS ereader apps that include more/other fonts than what is in their respective OS?
The Moon+, CoolReader and Mantano android apps will let you sideload your own fonts to a specific directory on your device if that's any help.

CoolReader is free, the other 2 have more than one version. I own the Pro versions of both so I'm not sure whether sideloaded fonts are premium features or available in all versions.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote